Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sharing a title?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there problems with sharing a title with a friend, if they're willing to let me use their reservation?

Specifically, I'm thinking if the title is made to "Friend or Me", and then I remove friend's name.
How does this affect federal tax credit? It says I have to be the original owner; any problem if I'm on both original title and one that replaces it without 2nd name?

Are there problems with sharing a title with a friend, if they're willing to let me use their reservation?

Specifically, I'm thinking if the title is made to "Friend or Me", and then I remove friend's name.
How does this affect federal tax credit? It says I have to be the original owner; any problem if I'm on both original title and one that replaces it without 2nd name?
If you're planning to remove the friend's name then if there is any financial transaction involved then it would be bought for resale, which means that it would be illegal to claim the tax credit. But if no financial transaction involved they'd be giving up a large gift to you and your friend would have to pay tax on their gift.

But, people have been arranging purchases from reservation holders so there's probably a way to do it circumventing Tesla's rules instead of trying to circumvent tax law.