TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sharing my car repair experience

Discussion in 'Model S' started by democappy, Feb 25, 2019.

1. SoCalNick

SoCalNick Member

My repair took under 2 months.
    2 weeks to find a shop, get estimate, and get it approved.
    3 weeks to order parts.
    3 weeks to install parts.
    2 new side doors, rear quarter panel, rear bumper and alignment.
    I was surprised at how quick they were.

2. JunesongProvisn

Is your car at Caldwell? My wife and another car backed into each other in a Starbucks parking lot a couple years ago. $11k damage on my car (for a dent the size of my phone), and literally no damage to the other person's Toyota Tacoma. I can't remember exactly how long it took but Caldwell was the closest authorized shop for me (and still two and a half hours away). They seemed to do a very good job so you've got that going for you at least.

3. democappy

democappy Member

#43 democappy, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    It is at a Service King location. As far as I knew the Service King shops are the only body shops in Charlotte that will still work on a Tesla. However, the Caldwell website does still look like they do it as well. Since they are a little ways outside of the city in Indian Trail maybe I just didn't see them in my search for shops in Charlotte. When I got in my accident, Tesla sent me a list of shops near me. All of them were Service King locations except for Caliber Collision which refused to take the car saying that they had just stopped working on Teslas the week prior to my accident. I am pretty sure that there was another shop they had on their website or that my insurance had listed as Tesla-certified that also said they stopped working on them, but I can't remember which shop that might have been. Could be faulty memory on my part. The only reason I remember Caliber is because I just looked up my old email exchange with Tesla. It has been 4 months since I did that research :)

I am fairly confident the work is going to be done well. It is just so frustratingly slow. They were telling me this morning that they have to print out giant complicated process manuals to make sure they put it together exactly how they are supposed to and that it takes a long time for the tech to read all of those and then do the work while also bouncing back and forth between working on other cars.

Edit: Just checked Tesla approved shops on the Tesla website. 8 Service King locations + the Caldwell Collision shops are the only options currently showing for the Charlotte area. So when they sent me the closest shops to my location, multiple Service Kings would have been closer which is probably why I didn't get sent Caldwell.

4. democappy

democappy Member

I would have totally happy with 2 months. I am guessing/hoping things are a little more figured out in California then over here in the Southeast.

5. FoxSTL2HOU

FoxSTL2HOU Member

You can't trust the list - I got the same thing, a list with all the Service King locations in the metro area, but only one would do major repairs (the level I needed) and one more did fender bender fixes. The rest just deferred to those two spots.

6. SoCalNick

SoCalNick Member

I was expecting the worst, and was very happy with 2 months. I brought the shop doughnuts a few times... ;)

7. democappy

democappy Member

Five Month Update:
    So I didn't get my car back yet. It does seem like it is nearing the end though. The parts have been painted and they are reassembling the car now. I should have it to me in the next 1-2 weeks.

Just to recap for those that don't want to read the full thread.
    1 month update: Could take another month to 6 months, no one knows.
    2 month update: Probably just 2-4 more weeks
    3 month update: Probably just 1-2 more weeks!
    4 month update: Probably just 2-3 more weeks?!
    5 month update: Probably just 1-2 more weeks, but also probably for real this time.

I will give a final update once the car is actually in my possession.

• Like x 1