TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sharing RN number an issue?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by tfboy, Apr 2, 2016.

1. tfboy

tfboy Gimme the Caaaaaar!

I've seen people share their RN (reservation number?) regarding their cars, but also read that you shouldn't do it in the Model 3 thread...

I've just placed an order, went a bit crazy with the options, and have my RN, but not what info can be obtained from it (Model 3 thread suggests it's random so why the risk in sharing?).

Apologies if it's been asked before, I did search but couldn't find anything relevant.

2. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

Geez on Facebook I am seeing people share their My Tesla page screenshots, including VINs of their S's and X's, and RN's of their 3's. Crazy, imho. Not a good idea.

3. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

VINs are visible through the windshield of most cars; they are not a secret.

• Informative x 1
  4. hpjtv

hpjtv Member

You said you went crazy with the options... what options are you talking about? It's just a reservation, you don't get to pick any options yet.

5. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Sharing full VINs and RNs online is not about relasing some secret information but planting handles to uniquely identify and track one person online across different sites and different usernames.
    And is a useful tidbit of datum that confirm same username on different sites is same person.

6. tfboy

tfboy Gimme the Caaaaaar!

OK, so it doesn't really mean anything apart from potentially identifying me as a particular forum user. I'm not too worried about that.

I can understand why some people for example blank number plates on vehicles to reduce the risk of cloning. Of course, anyone can go out on the street and see them, but maybe it's the "convenience" of using the Internet as a single source for a lot of information.

Anyway, I digress.

I posted in the Model S section, not the Model 3 :)
    Currently (subject to potentially change), I have a sunroofed P90DL in Titanium with Premium interior, UHFS, air suspension, autopilot, tan next gen seats, black alcantara headliner and standard new 19" wheels. I can't decide whether to keep it at that expensive premium or ditch the P and L bits... About 10 days left to make up my mind. It should be in my sig.

7. hpjtv

hpjtv Member

You are correct, my apologies, I tend to read this stuff pretty late past midnight.