Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sharing USB-C with Wireless Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching to see if this was asked already, but I never found any threads with titles that seemed relevant.

The MY has 2 data ports up front, USB-C and USB-A which from what I understand is 2.0, not 3.0, so only 500mA. Don't know why Tesla would go through the trouble to add USB-C and still keep USB 2.0, but that is a topic for another day. Had they done that, I would not be writing this message.

Because of power issues, the USB-A connection will not work for me, so I need to use the USB-C side. Problem is, I cannot seem to get the wireless charger to work through any hub on the USB-C side, PD only or power+data USB-C connections, it will only work if connected directly to Tesla's USB-C port. The USB hub that I am trying to use this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XF5489G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which has 100W (20V / 5A) PD only USB-C port, plus a power and data combined USB-C port.

Anybody know what the Tesla supplied MY wireless charging pad needs? It's specs for power? Is it power only or does it need data too for some reason? Has anybody successfully shared this USB-C connection with their factory supplied wireless charger and their wireless charger still works? If so, what did you use to make that happen?

Everything else off this USB-C hub works, I can connect a drive for sentry and dashcam, save and play back recordings, connect a USB-lightning cable and charge my iPhone that way. But the wireless charger via the hub is a no go for me.
So for now I am using a USB - lightning cable to charge my phone in the MY, but it would nice to have wireless charging working too.

I did wonder how the power delivery protocol works with USB-C hubs. As an example, you could connect two USB-C devices to the hub, one requesting 9V (or even higher voltage e.g. laptop) and the other one 5V. I'd be surprised there was some voltage converter inside the hub (capable of handling high power).

Ok, I guess the solution is just to assign one specific USB-C port to handle the PD protocol (as the Amazon link hub does). If that's the case you'd think that the PD specific wiring just goes directly from that port to the input USB-C. Indeed you would expect the wireless charger to just work. On the other hand, if the hub injects itself into the PD protocol it's possible that there is some incompatibility with the Tesla wireless charger that prevents it from working. I guess a USB-C analyzer is the only way to find out...

Alternatively you could use the two back seat USB-C ports for charging other devices.