TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Shark gills

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by John W. Ratcliff, Apr 14, 2016.

1. John W. Ratcliff

I've noticed that some Roadsters have the shark gills in the front and some don't, going all of the way back to the 2008 models.

Was this just some sort of styling option that buyers got to choose from?

2. slcasner

slcasner Member

No, that is the new style of the 2.5 models (actually, some "2.25" models were 2.0 models with the new fascia). A 2008 model (aka 1.5) would not have that front fascia unless the original one has been replaced.

3. John W. Ratcliff

4. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

...or because the bumper needed replacing

The new style bumper was, as slcasner stated, introduced with the 2.5 model (although, again as he stated, some of the last 2.0 cars got the new bumper - and other improvements - and were colloquially called 2.25).

5. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

And the 2.25/2.5 front gills / rear bumper and diffuser were available for a short time on the Tesla webstore / Tesla shop that could be purchased and if you like upgraded on the 1.5 cars. I honestly don't like messing with what the car came with in terms of the main body style and look, I feel it takes away from the car. Only way I'd swap things out is if it offered some sort of aerodynamic / traction benefit.