Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shasta City through Susanville to Reno

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are putting together a trip from PDX to Phoenix and would like to take 89 off I-5 at Shasta to Reno NV via Susanville. It looks like a beautiful route but it is 214 miles Supercharger to Supercharger which leaves little room for MS70D with a range off about 235 miles. The Red Lion in Susanville appears to have a Tesla Connector. Is RL amenable to allowing a Tesla passing through to charge for an hour or so for a fee? I see there is also a level 2 charger in town.

Also, would appreciate any comments the road, 89 to 44 to 395 into Reno. Thank you for your comments.

I know that route 44 from Redding to Manzanita lake is all uphill, which is expected since it's heading towards Lassen Peak.
I imagine that 89 to 44 is also mostly uphill, since all of Lassen Volcanic National Part is at high elevation.
I took my 90D from Redbluff into the park and around from south-to-north. On the way into the park, the climb was taking almost 700Wh/Mile. Of course the down hill is much better, but if you're going east you won't get as much back. I went through 153 miles of range in just 58.5 miles getting to the peak, but it only took me 30 miles of range to get back going out the north side of the park, which is further.
If you can charge in Susanville you're probably good, but I doubt you'd make Reno.
If you can do it the other direction, starting from Reno, you'd be in a lot better shape, though I'd still try to charge some in Susanville.