Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

She is asking for the 'D'... ;)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, one more naughty conversation I had and I am sharing... well, not so much...

I am the proud owner of a MS 85 2013 with 192,000 km on the odometer.
We commute a lot, my wife and I, and whoever is going the distance take the Tesla.
On a normal commute (I do it twice a week), I drive (one way) 160 km, and use around 197 wh/km - summertime, of course.
This translate in a usage (in km) of about 12-15% more that my range indicates - meaning that these 160 km will eat about 190 km

Now, my car is at the SC, and the loaner I have is a 2017 90D.
I did the commute this morning, and the 160km used 178 wh/km, and translated in a usage of 168 km.

That is a HUGE difference, and very, very relevant for me as it can translate in a round trip with a stop for charging to a round trip without charging - and between my wife and I, we do the commute 3-4 times a week.

The question is: that big difference is battery usage, is it due to
a) the D
b) the 'quality' of the battery pack / battery cells - 2017 vs 2013
c) both
d) none of the above, and the answer is...

Such a big leap is getting me consider to change my MS 85 2013 to a 90D!!! My car runs like new, but could just run for longer!!!

Merci de votre aide / thanks for your help!

Frederik

@MP3Mike is correct assuming as @animorph implied same tire size and type. There is no question that the 'D' is more efficient than is the 2 WD, the Tesla comparisons show that, and suggest that the "D" is most of the difference. Considering where you live the 'D' will also have better winter stability.

if you can afford it, it seems probable that you would have a much nicer commute in a 'D'. If you could have a 100D that would be better yet because you would always have superior reserves. Of course any such choice is more expensive than keeping your present car.

Yes, one more naughty conversation I had and I am sharing... well, not so much...

I am the proud owner of a MS 85 2013 with 192,000 km on the odometer.
We commute a lot, my wife and I, and whoever is going the distance take the Tesla.
On a normal commute (I do it twice a week), I drive (one way) 160 km, and use around 197 wh/km - summertime, of course.
This translate in a usage (in km) of about 12-15% more that my range indicates - meaning that these 160 km will eat about 190 km

Now, my car is at the SC, and the loaner I have is a 2017 90D.
I did the commute this morning, and the 160km used 178 wh/km, and translated in a usage of 168 km.

That is a HUGE difference, and very, very relevant for me as it can translate in a round trip with a stop for charging to a round trip without charging - and between my wife and I, we do the commute 3-4 times a week.

The question is: that big difference is battery usage, is it due to
a) the D
b) the 'quality' of the battery pack / battery cells - 2017 vs 2013
c) both
d) none of the above, and the answer is...

Such a big leap is getting me consider to change my MS 85 2013 to a 90D!!! My car runs like new, but could just run for longer!!!

Merci de votre aide / thanks for your help!

Frederik
I have a pre-refresh 2016 90D (i.e., same aerodynamics as your 2013). On road trips driving at freeway speeds of 70-75mph, I'll average 300kW/mi, pretty close to your 178kW/km. I credit the "D" and improved motor efficiency.