TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

She took dad's car for a spin - literally

Discussion in 'Model S' started by HyperMiler, May 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. loganintx

loganintx Member

Very cool. The 2nd to last pic with the right door open makes it look like the rear of the car is missing too. Airbags everywhere!

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Model Y custom Warming Stripes wrap.

Holy cow, that was a lot of force involved.
    Amazing that the occupants were mobile after that.
    Hope they recover well and that the daughter is healthy in time for her father to loan her his car (in 20 years after she is done being grounded;)).

3. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

It's just the front crumple zone that got totally smashed. The rear is visible in another pic. Most vehicles doors would jam after this kind of collision. The fact that these kids were able to get out on their own..wow!! I

I had a 45mph collision on my Mercedes on the front passenger side, the entire frame bent and I could hardly get the door to open.

4. Caligula

Caligula Member

Except you're driving a beer can that can't move fast enough to get out of its own way, let alone merge onto a freeway. Not something I want my children driving, especially given how others drive around them.

• Like x 1
  5. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Leave it up to a resourceful teenager to figure out how to roll a Tesla! It can't be that easy to do. I'm happy that they all walked away and hope they make a full recovery soon.

6. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Yep. My son is 18 months old, and my wife one day mentioned that he may never learn to drive a stick. I said he may never learn to drive at all.

• Love x 1
  7. HyperMiler

HyperMiler Member

He might not even be interested in owning a car... . Mine aren't particularly enthused, and they are already 20 years older!

• Disagree x 1
  8. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I think beer can was a kind statement. I split that car in half at 40 mph into a tree and was able to climb out the area were the windshield blew out. Only thing that happened to me was a sore chest and a cut from a cassette tape that hit me in the back of the head. Damn to be 18 again!!!

• Like x 1
  9. davewill

davewill Active Member

I'd give up owning cars tomorrow if I could call an autonomous electric cab to my front door in 10 minutes and have it take me wherever I wanted to go..

10. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

This is why I advocate for a Smart ED for the kids. Can't get into the trouble with the lower speed, only 2 seats, and limited range. Mind you, this happened without the father's permission, so that might have not helped.

• Love x 1
  11. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

My son is learning to drive, and my Smart ED is his first car. The Tesla is off limits. He doesn't even ask...;)

12. cynix

cynix Member

Heh, I'm 30 and I never learned to drive a stick…

• Like x 1
  13. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

Another perspective is "The car can be replaced, the son or daughter can't". Valet mode should mitigate this problem. Also being able to see the speed on the App.

14. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

When we got our Model S, we got rid of our 2002 BMW 325xi with manual transmission. Husband never even considered an automatic for this car when buying. Meticulously cared for, maintained, etc. Car looked new.

Husband approached his sister, who has 3 boys between 17-22 years old. One in High school, others in college, none owned cars, they all shared parents 2 POS's, so he thought this would be a great car for one of the boys. (or the parents.) He was going to sell it to them BELOW the low end of the KBB despite it being worth the high end.

They said they didn't want it because none of them knew how to drive a stick. I was like, WELL THEN, LEARN! I just shook my head. They did buy the car, but only the dad drives it, and none of the boys have learned (almost a year later.) SMH

15. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

This really shows how having the battery pack as a structural member under the passenger compartment adds to safety.

In a normal car with only 0.25" steel unibody under your feet, in a rollover (especially end over end like this) that unibody is going to flex and jam the doors at a minimum, or fold in two at worse. With a thick battery pack under your feet, it's like sitting in the armored tub of an A-10 Warthog.

Love the Model S.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Completely agree. In 2yrs my son will be getting his license and I have already thought about this several times..get him a 10yr old Honda or let him drive my S that I can monitor and put limits on..and the peace of mind of him being in the safest car on the road because there are many other idiots out there who drive drunk, run red lights etc.

17. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

Unfortunately, in my High school days, 4 people went of the road in a 79 Rabbit and 1 girl was killed.
    Even low horse power does not compensate for teen judgement and human error ... very sad. :(

18. HyperMiler

HyperMiler Member

#38 HyperMiler, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
    The good thing is Model 3 and its successors will hopefully keep those Tesla crash safety standards.

My wife and kids were in a head on collision at some speed in a 5 Star rated vehicle (new VW). The passenger cabin held up very well, all devices deploying and doors opening afterwards. These investments pay at some point. I have decided to not put my children into older cars not up to current crash safety standards.

• Disagree x 1
  19. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

My dad had me earn the money to buy my first (and all) cars. I still had two minor accidents that were my fault and one that wasn't, as a teen.

20. ronsbell

ronsbell Member

The safety features of these cars are amazing. But if my child wrecked a $70,000 sedan by driving this recklessly, I'd kill her myself ;). At the very least, she'd be grounded until she was 40!

• Funny x 1