Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sheared Lug Nut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, a tire shop over-torqued a lug nut, then when trying to get it off, sheared it completely. Any ideas on how to get the broken lug nut off? Tesla SC didn't want to touch this. Other auto shops couldn't get this off either. I'm thinking I may have to use a cobalt drill bit and drill out the lug stud.
signal-2022-08-15-18-50-32-393.jpg

Attachments

• signal-2022-08-15-18-50-32-393.jpg
    signal-2022-08-15-18-50-32-393.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 108
Hi all, a tire shop over-torqued a lug nut, then when trying to get it off, sheared it completely. Any ideas on how to get the broken lug nut off? Tesla SC didn't want to touch this. Other auto shops couldn't get this off either. I'm thinking I may have to use a cobalt drill bit and drill out the lug stud.
View attachment 841808
It's a simple process though it's a busy job and you'll need a press. Remove knuckle and press out the wheel stud, press in new one.

Try to find a slightly smaller impact socket that you don't mind sacrificing to the cause, and hammer it onto the rounded off lug nut. (Use a Big F..kin Hammer!) The socket needs to be super tight and biting into the nut.
If you can do that, you should be able to use an impact gun or a large breaker bar to get the nut off. If it still wont budge, try heating the stud/nut with a torch through the socket driver hole, and try the impact or breaker bar again.

I'll also add this link to an extraction socket made for this job: https://smile.amazon.com/ROCKETSOCKET-removal-Extract-Rounded-off-vehicles/dp/B07YYP1XD4

I've used both a hammered on impact socket and an extraction socket before (though not on a Tesla) , and it's worked.

Last edited:
Try to find a slightly smaller impact socket that you don't mind sacrificing to the cause, and hammer it onto the rounded off lug nut. (Use a Big F..kin Hammer!) The socket needs to be super tight and biting into the nut.
If you can do that, you should be able to use an impact gun or a large breaker bar to get the nut off. If it still wont budge, try heating the stud/nut with a torch through the socket driver hole, and try the impact or breaker bar again.

I'll also add this link to an extraction socket made for this job: https://smile.amazon.com/ROCKETSOCKET-removal-Extract-Rounded-off-vehicles/dp/B07YYP1XD4

I've used both a hammered on impact socket and an extraction socket before (though not on a Tesla) , and it's worked.
Hmm might work, but a shop already tried that and couldn't get the extractor socket on. Plus the hole is very narrow

Tried that, but the area where the lug is is too narrow to fit a lug extractor in there. Not much to grab onto either, it's mostly the base of the lug still on.
Keep going smaller on the extractor. There isn't anything else... except maybe one of those universal socket adapters, you know the socket that looks like a spark plug socket, but it has pins inside? That might a possibility. Btw, if you do manage to get that lug off, you might consider replacing all wheel lugs since they could be stretched (given the negligence and over torque) and if they are they are prone to fracture then eventual failure. And these cars throw down crap tons of torque instantly.

Keep going smaller on the extractor. There isn't anything else... except maybe one of those universal socket adapters, you know the socket that looks like a spark plug socket, but it has pins inside? That might a possibility. Btw, if you do manage to get that lug off, you might consider replacing all wheel lugs since they could be stretched (given the negligence and over torque) and if they are they are prone to fracture then eventual failure. And these cars throw down crap tons of torque instantly.
That's the plan. All new nuts all around. Any recommendations on a good set? Or just go stock?