Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sheddy dog - how do you handle it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a sheddy dog - Husky/Malamute. He loves to leave white hair anywhere. He's my dog and he's great - though I am mildly allergic to dog hair that sits around. So at home we're good because we don't have much carpet and my body is mostly used to his hair. I still wash my hands when I play with him or what not just to be sure. My wife has a dog cover for her backseat but dog hair still gets into every crevice.

I'd love to take him in my car as he loves car trips - but I'd love to hear what you guys do. Is it just vacuum after? Or are there specific dog covers you have seen work better than others?

Attachments

• IMG_3166.jpg
    IMG_3166.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 203
  • Love
Reactions: Saturday
I've got a sheddy dog - Husky/Malamute. He loves to leave white hair anywhere. He's my dog and he's great - though I am mildly allergic to dog hair that sits around. So at home we're good because we don't have much carpet and my body is mostly used to his hair. I still wash my hands when I play with him or what not just to be sure. My wife has a dog cover for her backseat but dog hair still gets into every crevice.

I'd love to take him in my car as he loves car trips - but I'd love to hear what you guys do. Is it just vacuum after? Or are there specific dog covers you have seen work better than others?

Your dog is adorable. I would definitely use a dog cover/carrier and invest in one that covers as much surface of the backseat area as possible.

Vacuuming alone is not sufficient as the dog hairs get tangled in the fiber of the floor mats and carpeting. I find that this small, simple tool is so incredibly helpful. You use it to brush the dog hair in the carpet or floor mat into a small clump or pile and then just vacuum that right up:

https://www.amazon.com/Lilly-Brush-...keywords=pet+hair+brush&qid=1607548684&sr=8-6

81oXOqzdx6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Your dog is the best boy!

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Brush your doggo regularly, especially near changes of seasons. They will shed a lot less generally after that. I would also invest in a hammock-like seat cover.

I love my dog and I love my Tesla but I'm OCD about dog hair in a car. I try to confine my Aussie to the far back on a canvas drop cloth– but the hair still gets everywhere. One short road trip = 1/2 hour vacuum session at the car wash. Do you know what would be groundbreaking, Tesla? Develop car carpeting that doesn't trap dog hair in the fibers. Damn, it's stubborn.

Attachments

• scarlett at the dump 2.jpg
    scarlett at the dump 2.jpg
    888.1 KB · Views: 60

This is my sheddy dog Levi. To avoid hair in my car, I use my Wife's car when transporting the dog. ;)

Tim

IMG_2759.jpeg

Fellow Husky owner here.

Did you know that Huskies have two shedding seasons? That’s right. The first one starts in January and ends in June. The second season starts in July and ends in December…

I try to use my wifes car as much as possible to transport my doggie. But that’s not always possible. I vacuum the heck out of the car afterwards (Dyson animal vac). I’m thinking about getting one of those removable pet car seat covers for both my car and my wife’s car. Hopefully will help a little.

My English Shepherd also sheds like crazy, having a dual-coat. My solution was a seat cover for the back, which has worked extremely well. It captures 90% of his fur and drool, and cleaning is a breeze as I just remove and vacuum it.

IMG_0051.jpeg

Amazon link - Seat Cover

I also bought a safety belt that attaches to the LATCH mounts in the car, I use the center one in the parcel shelf which does not restrict his movement around the cabin.

IMG_0054.jpg

Amazon link - Safety Belt

The orange bungie cord is running through the seat belt access holes in the cover connecting the LATCH attachments on each side of the rear bench to help keep the cover from sliding under acceleration/braking with his weight on it (55lbs). I still have to clean his nose-spots from the windows, but the seats themselves look perfect and have almost no fur left with the cover removed.

Last edited:
I have a beige coloured pug that goes along for rides to the forest or with us on holiday. The hairs get everywhere. I do have all-weather mats which makes it a bit easier to clean, but after a road trip it's definitely thoroughly vacuuming. Also have gotten gap fillers to avoid hairs getting between the seats. I'm having it detailed once in a while. The problem is manageable that way.

Reactions: Sacramento
I have a model 3 with white interior nd Lab/collie that sheds constantly. And a 4 year old in a giant car seat. Put a wet okole over 95% of the rear seat (couldn't figure out how to get the edges covered. The car mats are tux mats (expensive but I like) We just took a 800 mile car trip. I will be removing dog hair for a long time. I have tons of dog hair on my microfiber cloths. Tried a half hammock from Amazon but couldn't make it fit with car seat.
I ordered the upholstery brushes as recommended above ...

Attachments

• PXL_20210815_222832915.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210815_222832915.PORTRAIT.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 66