Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sheesh, I didn't realize my supercharger miles expire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasn't even on my radar to look for it, but I noticed when checking my loot box in the Tesla app that my remaining supercharger miles expire 1 year after my purchase date. That's lame. I came from a 2015 Model S that had FUSC for life. Took delivery of my new Model S in June, 2019 and have 12 months to burn through 5,000 supercharger miles (which I only realized in mid May, lol). If I had only waited until August to take delivery, I once again would have enjoyed a lifetime of FUSC... Timing's a bummer.

Wasn't even on my radar to look for it, but I noticed when checking my loot box in the Tesla app that my remaining supercharger miles expire 1 year after my purchase date. That's lame. I came from a 2015 Model S that had FUSC for life. Took delivery of my new Model S in June, 2019 and have 12 months to burn through 5,000 supercharger miles (which I only realized in mid May, lol). If I had only waited until August to take delivery, I once again would have enjoyed a lifetime of FUSC... Timing's a bummer.

Hindsight is 20/20. Model 3 had a more beneficial, all be it short lived, Supercharger deal in 2019 as well.

It’d be nice to see some better Supercharger deals in 2020, especially with the US unemployment so high, no one really driving, and car sales (at least non Tesla) slowing down. But I doubt it. People were luck to get a one month (?) extension on their loot box miles from Musk.

It surprises me how many people actually care about supercharger miles.

I would think they’re only used on long trips, and most charging would be done at home. Are there that many people taking dozens of road trips a year and/or dependent on supercharging?

I use mine cause they’re free, but it’s inconvenient, even with a V3 charger 15 minutes away.

Some care about supercharging and some don’t. I don’t make many long trips and almost always charge at home. For those that care, lifetime is awesome, but it would be nice for those that don’t have lifetime to be able to subscribe for large blocks or timeframes for a discounted rate.

I'm moving to an Island without a Supercharger on it (Hawaii). So, even though my S will have the FUSC as per the current deal, it's useless to me.

That being said, I thought that FUSC came back since the Ravens were released? All new S and X's came with it, I believed.

That being said, I thought that FUSC came back since the Ravens were released? All new S and X's came with it, I believed.

I had to cancel my MS order last year (Don't ask) and when I re-ordered and took delivery this February it came with unlimited supercharging, which was not on offer last year. Nice surprise.
I find it nice to top up over a coffee while watching the news. Sad, but true....

Reactions: LN1_Casey
It is odd that they go back and forth on FUSC. Just seems easier to grandfather in all the S/X owners who don't have it. The only difference on most cars is the date you bought it, or sometimes referrals, and not anything to do with price. It's not like doing that would make some owners mad that they paid extra for it or whatever.

Reactions: vapor trail
I firmly believe that if everyone used SuperCharging for road trips it could have remained free for life for all Teslas. HOWEVER with statements and owners like the dude above that said “I use mine cause they’re free, but it’s inconvenient, even with a V3 charger 15 minutes away” the system just can’t support that kind of abuse.

• Funny
Reactions: DrtyJrze
I firmly believe that if everyone used SuperCharging for road trips it could have remained free for life for all Teslas. HOWEVER with statements and owners like the dude above that said “I use mine cause they’re free, but it’s inconvenient, even with a V3 charger 15 minutes away” the system just can’t support that kind of abuse.

This thread is about MILES THAT EXPIRE. Yes, I go to the local supercharger to use up referral miles that would otherwise be lost. That’s abuse? Lmao okay.

Maybe if the miles did not expire they could be used for road trips and people like me would not “abuse the system”....that Tesla created when making miles expire in the first place.

Reactions: vapor trail
>>I firmly believe that if everyone used SuperCharging for road trips it could have remained free for life for all Teslas. HOWEVER with statements and owners like the dude above that said “I use mine cause they’re free, but it’s inconvenient, even with a V3 charger 15 minutes away” the system just can’t support that kind of abuse.<<

You might be right in the first sentence - but calling someone who uses what is provided by contract an "abuser" of the system is not on.
There are probably many who live in urban areas without access to outlets for charging - onstreet parking for example - but who would like to buy a Tesla and who could comfortably use superchargers to get their go-juice.

Tesla is more and more anti-consumer as time goes on. Horrible service, "expiring miles" (what is this Starbucks or United?), FSD that is neither full or self driving or anywhere close yet somehow the price keeps going up...

Eventually all of these anti-consumer practices will bite Tesla severely.

Jeff

Reactions: InternetDude
Tesla is more and more anti-consumer as time goes on. Horrible service, "expiring miles" (what is this Starbucks or United?), FSD that is neither full or self driving or anywhere close yet somehow the price keeps going up...

Eventually all of these anti-consumer practices will bite Tesla severely.

Jeff

I really don't understand people who complain that the SC has expiring free miles, or even that Tesla charges at all for it.

I mean, flippin' DUH. It's a feature that Tesla provides, out of their own pocket. Do people think that maintaining those facilities, and paying for the electricity consumed just comes from some magic pocket of everlasting cash? Tesla should have never offered limitless charging, fully transferable, as they did for their first builds--it was simply too open for abuse. And people do abuse them because "it's free". The current offering of S/X non-transferable FUSC makes more sense, because the S/X have a much heftier price tag than the M3, and they really need something to break from the M3/Y which have all the newest features.

Even for expiring miles, I'm not surprised nor concerned with them. It's like reward points on my travel account. If I don't use them, they will expire. They're a bonus, subject to the terms of the issuer, not a right. It kind of sucks for those who missed out on the FUSC deal for S/X, but it's Tesla's process to control.

And FSD is still in very early stages. :/ It's like complaining the first few computers were slow and didn't have color screens. I mean, yeah, duh. They're working on it, this hasn't been done before, be patient. Or not pay for it and wait until it is done and pay the cost then, your choice. There are benefits to joining early--costs too, but benefits.

FUSC isn't really free - it's prepaid, built into the sticker price of the cars that have it. So I can see owners feeling an entitlement to using it.

FSD is a bit different - IMO anyone who bought it thinking it really was imminent wasn't paying attention to Musk's track history of predictions and promises. And anyone who bought a Tesla as a robotaxi business should reassess their business savvy for due diligence. I bought it, but have no illusions for how long it will take or if I'll even like the experience when it "arrives" (will it stick to the speed limit? Slow for every curve? Inch along in parking lots? In other words, will it drive like the proverbial Prius, either due to technical or legal limitations?). But it was worth it to me to get to live the progress, over the 10 years I plan to keep the car.