Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shelby Mustang GT350 Owners Suing Ford Because It Isn't "Track-Ready"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The article, nor none of the links in it, actually point out how Ford claimed the car was "track-ready." That would actually be unusual. Very few vehicles offer track-based option packages, and manufacturers are usually very careful to not to imply track abilities. Many offer packages that would improve track performance, like improved suspension bits, but stop short of calling them on-track packages.

Seems weird to me, but without the actual claims it's hard to say.

Reactions: Motomania
There is no such thing as a track ready street car. Without the safety equipment which is illegal for street cars to be sold with, it cannot not be used with reasonable safety on a road course. A full rollcage, fire system, 5/6 point harness, etc.

Look closely at a MFR effort at Nurburgring. Yeah, they cage 'em. Killing test drivers is expensive.

Reactions: Motomania
There is no such thing as a track ready street car. Without the safety equipment which is illegal for street cars to be sold with, it cannot not be used with reasonable safety on a road course. A full rollcage, fire system, 5/6 point harness, etc.

Look closely at a MFR effort at Nurburgring. Yeah, they cage 'em. Killing test drivers is expensive.
I think you're probably confusing, or at least conflating, "race ready" and "track ready." Races all require cages, but not all track use does. Quite a few of us have had our Teslas on a road coarse, even stock. I guess you could argue that track days are inherently unsafe and all use of street vehicles should be banned from the track, but I don't think you'd get much traction. Serious track-day accidents are quite rare.

Additionally, several manufacturers do offer street vehicles specifically designed for track use (like Dodge's ACR variants). Some also offer full race variants (like Mazda's Miata Cup cars) that can't be used on the street.

I think you're probably confusing, or at least conflating, "race ready" and "track ready." Races all require cages, but not all track use does. Quite a few of us have had our Teslas on a road coarse, even stock. I guess you could argue that track days are inherently unsafe and all use of street vehicles should be banned from the track, but I don't think you'd get much traction. Serious track-day accidents are quite rare.

Additionally, several manufacturers do offer street vehicles specifically designed for track use (like Dodge's ACR variants). Some also offer full race variants (like Mazda's Miata Cup cars) that can't be used on the street.

Track day fatalities are rare, but as far as sportsman class motorsports, open track days are one of the most lethal. Yes, I've run cars on tracks without cages, but it's really not a clever idea. Those 2 guys killed at Cal Speedway in the Carrera GT probably would have lived if in a properly caged car.

Trans and rearend overheating are a common issue. My Z06 had the trans overtemp warning message come on before. The performance parts catalog had P/Ns for T-56 and Getrag cooling kits, I just never bothered, I just slowed down. It's not like I was racing. I do have a rollbar, door bars, 5-pt harnesses.

I would assume that with a Mustang GT350R, if it's raining, put rain compound tires on. If engine gets hot, open up the grill, move/remove any other heat exchangers, etc. If the rear gets hot, put in the diff cooler, if the trans gets hot, put in the trans cooler.

Just because you CAN track a car, doesn't mean it's perfect or safe for the job.

Reactions: Gizmotoy
There is a big difference between track ready and track ready for a professional driver. The "limited" Z06 was still faster around any track than a Ferrari Enzo.
So you're saying the fact the Z06 beat a 15 year old supercar that virtually nobody uses as a benchmark anymore means it's ok that it goes limp in the hands of pro (and amateur) drivers alike at track events?

• Funny
Reactions: dhrivnak