TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Shell CEO and CFO switch to Electric Cars

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by xkwizit, Jul 27, 2017.

1. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

• Like x 2
  2. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

My father is a major oil exec, and my parents are considering getting a Model S or X.

• Like x 1
  3. Adm

Adm Active Member

The Shell CEO will travel in a Mercedes S500e, so a PHEV or as I like to call them EV's with training wheels.

• Like x 1
  4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.32.4

My neighbor is from Iceland and in the auto insurance industry. She insures my Tesla but still has two ICE vehicles. ;)
    IMG_20170320_165604.jpg

• Funny x 2
  5. KarenRei

Aww! :) If you wanted you could surprise the heck out of her and learn a little Icelandic. Anything you want to know how to say? ;)

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  6. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Yes, how about "dump your ICE vehicles, and drive electric"...;)

• Funny x 1
  7. KarenRei

#7 KarenRei, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    "Hentu bensínbílunum og keyrðu rafbíl", I guess. It depends on how you want to translate "drive electric" because that's a bit idiomatic (I went for the meaning of "drive an electric car"). You might want to use "kauptu" (buy) instead of "keyrðu" (drive), though. I also went for a command form that's implying that you're telling just them to do it, as opposed to the form of "let's do it together" (hendum ... keyrum/kaupum...). If you want it more polite (without sounding sarcastic, as "vinsamlegast" tends to do) you could phrase it like "Hefurðu áhuga á að henda .... og að keyra/kaupa ..?" (do you have interest in...) or "Viltu henda ... og keyra/kaupa ..." ("do you want to..." / "will you...."), "Hefuru pælt í að henda ... og að keyra/kaupa ..." ("have you considered ...").

Pronunciation:
    "HEN-two BEN-seen-Beel-uh-numb ohhh KAYR-dthoo RAV-bee-tl." :) That's the best I can do with spelling it out in English letters ;) The part I translated as "ohhh" is to point out that it's sort of like "aw" or "oh" with a breathy constriction in the back of your throat, and the part I translaiterated as "tl" is a lateral plosive (tongue on the top of the mouth blocking airflow, let pressure build up behind it, then burst out to the sides with a click) (don't say "beetle", there's no "ull" sound at the end, just a click!). Capitalization means emphasized syllables; they last twice as long as unemphasized syllables.

• Like x 2