Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shell CEO and CFO switch to Electric Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My father is a major oil exec, and my parents are considering getting a Model S or X.
My neighbor is from Iceland and in the auto insurance industry. She insures my Tesla but still has two ICE vehicles. ;)
IMG_20170320_165604.jpg

Yes, how about "dump your ICE vehicles, and drive electric"...;)

"Hentu bensínbílunum og keyrðu rafbíl", I guess. It depends on how you want to translate "drive electric" because that's a bit idiomatic (I went for the meaning of "drive an electric car"). You might want to use "kauptu" (buy) instead of "keyrðu" (drive), though. I also went for a command form that's implying that you're telling just them to do it, as opposed to the form of "let's do it together" (hendum ... keyrum/kaupum...). If you want it more polite (without sounding sarcastic, as "vinsamlegast" tends to do) you could phrase it like "Hefurðu áhuga á að henda .... og að keyra/kaupa ..?" (do you have interest in...) or "Viltu henda ... og keyra/kaupa ..." ("do you want to..." / "will you...."), "Hefuru pælt í að henda ... og að keyra/kaupa ..." ("have you considered ...").

Pronunciation:
"HEN-two BEN-seen-Beel-uh-numb ohhh KAYR-dthoo RAV-bee-tl." :) That's the best I can do with spelling it out in English letters ;) The part I translated as "ohhh" is to point out that it's sort of like "aw" or "oh" with a breathy constriction in the back of your throat, and the part I translaiterated as "tl" is a lateral plosive (tongue on the top of the mouth blocking airflow, let pressure build up behind it, then burst out to the sides with a click) (don't say "beetle", there's no "ull" sound at the end, just a click!). Capitalization means emphasized syllables; they last twice as long as unemphasized syllables.

Last edited: