Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shell recharge increasing their tariff to 41p

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received an email from shell that they have increased their charging price to 41p/kWh. Like their 39p/kWh already was horrendous.

I hope most people will refrain from using these chargers until they move towards a reasonable rate instead of charging more...

Surely the headline here should be that you now get a free Hog Roast Roll or Cheese and Onion Slice from their shop whilst you charge ;)

On a more serious note, has anyone got any experience of overstaying the 30 minute or so period that seems to becomming more and more common on petrol station forecourts? Its not clear whether EV charging excludes you from this limitation.

Last edited:
From my point of view I would look to use the cheapest but if the dearer one was more convenient it might be counter productive to go else where for a few pence. There are limits though which I think Ionity is pushing. hopefully as chargers become more common competition and market forces will bring prices down.
Shell have always managed to sell fuel at a premium over the supermarkets based on Quality so maybe They just need to re-brand their electrons as E-Power premium electricity and everyone will be happy paying more for it?

From my point of view I would look to use the cheapest but if the dearer one was more convenient it might be counter productive to go else where for a few pence. There are limits though which I think Ionity is pushing. hopefully as chargers become more common competition and market forces will bring prices down.
Shell have always managed to sell fuel at a premium over the supermarkets based on Quality so maybe They just need to re-brand their electrons as E-Power premium electricity and everyone will be happy paying more for it?

there are a couple in the local shell that just got converted to add a Waitrose. While I won’t need them to get home (as I’d already be close enough), they may be convenient if I need a fast top up for any reason. I’m only likely to need public chargers for road trips so convenience absolutely outweighs price for me as even if they were as expensive as petrol it’ll o my be a few times a year

there are a couple in the local shell that just got converted to add a Waitrose. While I won’t need them to get home (as I’d already be close enough), they may be convenient if I need a fast top up for any reason. I’m only likely to need public chargers for road trips so convenience absolutely outweighs price for me as even if they were as expensive as petrol it’ll o my be a few times a year
I am lucky enough to be 5 miles from an out of the way supercharger that is never full so that is my emergency option :)

Surely the headline here should be that you now get a free Hog Roast Roll or Cheese and Onion Slice from their shop whilst you charge ;)

On a more serious note, has anyone got any experience of overstaying the 30 minute or so period that seems to becomming more and more common on petrol station forecourts? Its not clear whether EV charging excludes you from this limitation.
The trouble with non-Tesla charging is that you often have to wait for a, or the, charger to come free. This is particularly true for the BP Chargemaster/Polar/Pulse/Throbpulser or whatever this year's name is, rapid chargers in the London area where they are also very keen on the 30 min loiter limit. I'm just so glad I have the Tesla Supercharging network to use - generally there are lots of chargers at each site, most of them work, no app/rfid/contactless payment required, the pricing is reasonable and there is no 30 min limit. (although some sites annoyingly have a requirement to log your reg).

I'm disappointed to see that Shell have increased their charges from expensive to stupidly so. This is contrary to other networks Osprey and Geniepoint who have recently reduced their charges. It wasn't that long ago that Shell were charging 30p kWh in an effort to drum up business. Of course, the price increase may be in response to the blockage of the Suez Canal.

Last edited:

Shell have a one hour limit for charging EVs which they ”ask” you to abide by. It also says that they can try and issue parking tickets after that. I’ve only ever used Superchargers but there is a Shell one not too far from where I live and I’ve looked at the website before.

I’m not sure how long you get if you have to queue to get access to it.

I've been paying .37€ in France today at Superchargers. Seems higher than in the past.

All night free Destination Charging @ 11kwph at the Ibis Styles Mulsanne was a treat.
PXL_20210325_083805642.MP.jpg

Reactions: Jez_GB
Just received an email from shell that they have increased their charging price to 41p/kWh. Like their 39p/kWh already was horrendous.

I hope most people will refrain from using these chargers until they move towards a reasonable rate instead of charging more...
Hopefully people will vote with their feet & go no where near them, then there's a chance of them seeing sense and charging no more than 30p/kwh.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Folks just need to accept this is it. The turning point. Where fossil fuel giants get their claws into the market. Push up prices. It’s going to gradually tip this way as fossil fuels are used less. Just wait until the government want in on the action. By the end of the decade leccy will be comparable with petrol, if not higher.

Reactions: Yachtsman
Folks just need to accept this is it. The turning point. Where fossil fuel giants get their claws into the market. Push up prices. It’s going to gradually tip this way as fossil fuels are used less. Just wait until the government want in on the action. By the end of the decade leccy will be comparable with petrol, if not higher.

There is a danger of really increased the social divide in access to affordable personal transport with EVs though.

For those of us who can refuel at home EVs are not only cheaper to refuel versus public charging, more important it lets us not waste time having to use a public charger.

EVs may end up forcing those who don't have a way to charge at home to pay more for refuelling both interms of cost and time.

This issue needs to be solved ASAP, otherwise huge parts of society will see EVs as just another way for the rich to get richer at the expense of those less well off- which to a degree is already true when you look at the plugin grants.

Given rapid charging costs will never be low due to hardware costs the only option may be to increase home charging costs to bring parity to pricing. This would also generate tax income for the treasury.

I fear the days of EVs having cheap running costs is coming to an end very soon. Oh well it was good whilst it lasted :(.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neilio and Jez_GB
I forget the source (think it was this months which) but it was stated that the current break even point between the average EV range and diesel was 36p Kwh. Make of that what you will.
The Which? magic numbers are small cars (petrol) 34.9p per kWh, Medium cars 29.8, small SUVs 35.3 and medium/large SUVs 31.5p per kWh. For non-Tesla drivers I think it would be a bit of a challenge to do a roadtrip of any distance and beat the magic numbers.

• Informative
Reactions: Yachtsman
We are still in the early days, money is needed to expand. I think we've a long way to go yet, maybe they are making the most of limited competition.

Although, sadly, there is often a postcode lottery in life.

Some in this thread may not be aware that supercharging is already 35p/kWh in a few spots in the U.K. too
however you have to knock about 10- 15% of Teslas price to compare with others since they charge for the DC delivered to the car while everyone else charges for the AC consumed by the charger so you pay for the in efficiencies in the transformer. The less efficient the more you pay.