TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Shell Recharge

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by zayn, Nov 14, 2019.

1. zayn

zayn Member

Hi All

First time using a shell recharge station today. 43kw CCS. Had registered with the shell newmotion card. Was not charged anything though not sure if it is a free station or delayed charging process

overall very impressed with the shell station. toilets, coffee, seating and snacks. Very easy to pass 40 minutes

Should it be this easy ?

2. TM3PTN

TM3PTN Member

In one word - yes :)

Charging your car should not be an event in itself, and there shouldn't be a big inconvenience in doing so, if people are to adopt electric and move away from ICE.

Fingers crossed for further developments in the infrastructure to enable easy charging.

3. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK P plates

Thanks. Wasn't aware of them. A nice convenient rapid charger on south coast.

4. Daverh

Daverh Member

I got my Shell card recently but can't register as it won't accept my credit card as a payment method. Did you have any problems doing so?

My card starts with DE and I've seen photos of one with NL so wondering whether it's possble that the've sent one for the wrong country.

I've seen people mention on other forums that it can take a while for them to bill your card.

5. Mr Miserable

Mr Miserable Member

I think the price of 39p per kWh is way too high and would hope that supply/demand will force a lower price point.
    I understand the Shell marketing of their petrol & diesel promises extra miles / cleaner burn etc because of their additives and so justifying a higher price than supermarket fuel. They can't say that their electricity is better quality than anyone else's and so they will have to come up with another reason for their high price electrons.
    So please join me and avoid using Shell unless absolutely necessary.

• Like x 9
    • Disagree x 3
  6. Andywil

Andywil Member

Looking at the app you get 9p/kWh if you charge using the app. Price not too bad after this discount

7. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK P plates

Only limited time discount - till end of year.

Whats the point of the card that I just ordered (for free) vs the app which suggested I get the card? Was hoping to just leave the card in the car.

Appreciate what @Mr Miserable says about price, but the extra £4.50 it will cost us to charge pales into insignificance compared to the price the KFC that we will be eating whilst we wait :D

• Funny x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. curmudgeon

curmudgeon Member

#8 curmudgeon, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    I think the new motion card works for ionity chargers as well? Here in Ireland there are as many ionity stations as superchargers. And will soon be more. But no shell petrol stations here o_O

9. Mr Miserable

Mr Miserable Member

When Shell entered the EV charging market a couple of years ago the plan was to charge 49p per kWh.
    Clearly this was outrageous and the price moved down to 39p.
    Now there is a promo on their app to charge at 30p.
    Things are moving in the correct direction but as a community we must not let 39p become an acceptable price.

• Like x 8
  10. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

The app is nice, but could be better in the reduce-frustration area - my main gripe was that you get the "start charging" button at the bottom of a location's detail page even if you don't have a newmotion card registered.

Cue me driving to a nearby 22kW free newmotion charger, plug in, open the app and tap "Start charging", only to then be presented with a "oh, but you need a newmotion card, we'll post one to you, should be there in 5 days or so"

!

Got the card in the post this morning. Start to register it in the app, and it won't save until you also enter details of a credit card. Aha, it's making sense now. By requiring a newmotion card they get your postal address and can then tie that to the future charging sessions, and a credit card.

AMEX? It wouldn't accept mine either, so I used a one-use visa card from Revolut ;)

11. CMc1

CMc1 Member

Where is that listed? I can’t find it...

12. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK P plates

FAQs

• Like x 1
  13. curmudgeon

curmudgeon Member

If you pay with the newmotion card instead of through the app there is a 35p fee per transaction?

It looks like Newmotion are a "mobility service provider", providing a single card for multiple networks, including Shell and Ionity. The aim is to replace lots of apps and accounts for all the networks with a single card but then charge you 35p for the privilege. Can someone please confirm this?

Paying for a single card may suit some those who drive big miles and use lots of different networks, but its not for me.

Electric Vehicle Charging Points Solutions | NewMotion
    Electric Vehicle Charge Card Network | NewMotion UK

newmotion1.jpg

14. NorfolkMustard

15. arg

arg Supporting Member

#15 arg, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    It's slightly more complicated than that. TheNewMotion do have their own chargepoints (not many in the UK but some) as well as offering roaming onto other supplier's networks. Charges vary with these different relationships - I believe that paying on Ionity with the NewMotion card is actually cheaper than paying directly on Ionity's own app.

Then you have the fact that Shell own TheNewMotion, though Shell Recharge and TheNewMotion seem to be separate divisions with only limited cooperation. (Edit - seems to be changing - see below).

16. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK P plates

I'm confused!

So you need the card and the app to charge and if you use the card you get a 35p transaction fee? Or if you use Shell app rather than the card, you don't get the transaction fee and get limited time discount?

Now, if this card covers more than just Shell like Ionity, then its not such a bad thing, but i'm confused why a Shell charge wont start with app without having the card. Or, is it that you need to have the card to setup a payment method and the shell app then uses that payment method so really just a one off inconvenience?

17. NorfolkMustard

As I understand it, this ^

• Like x 1
  18. arg

arg Supporting Member

There's confusion here because there's more than one app and they seem to be bringing together what used to be completely separate operations in Shell Recharge and TheNewMotion.

When Shell Recharge (ie. rapids on petrol station forecourts) launched in 2017, it used an app provided by Smoov as the only means of payment. Around the same time, Shell bought TheNewMotion which has a large network of chargepoints (mainly in the Netherlands) and roaming agreements with lots of other networks. NM at that time only supported charging using their RFID card - they also had an app, but this was used just to locate chargepoints (and look at your account details etc) - actually starting the charge required the use of the RFID card.

Then the NM card started being accepted at the ShellRecharge locations - so at that point you could pay by app with Smoov, or pay by RFID card via NM. Shell also announced an intention to support direct payment with contactless bank cards, though I am not sure how far that has got.

Very recently, NM have added the capability to initiate charging using the app (they were effectively forced to do so by EU directives), and now the NM app has been re-branded as Shell Recharge. The rest of the NM website etc. doesn't seem to have been rebranded yet, but probably it will be.

I don't think the app can be entirely trusted for pricing - it appears to offer access to Instavolt locations, but claims the price is 'free'!

But for Shell Recharge locations, the 30p price is shown both in the app and on the NM website map, implying that is the price for using the card. Perhaps the 39p price only applies to payment via contactless bank cards where that is supported?

• Like x 1
  19. tsh2

tsh2 Member

I do hope that by the time I've used my 1000 supercharger miles, the other networks have started to be sensible about fees and subscriptions. Free 7 kW charging at work, so I'm not planning to need to use a public charger often.

20. Jason71

Jason71 Member

Unless you think you can stretch you 1000 miles out for 5+ years I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. :D
    Irrespective of free miles SC's are still likely to be the best road trip option whether they are free or not

• Funny x 1