Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sheltering in Place - Charge or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am 75 years old and am sheltering in place with no plans to drive for weeks, maybe a month. Should I charge my Model 3 every few nights or just wait until I plan to drive.

The owner's manual encourages plugging in whenever you don't drive.

There's no advantage to wait for the battery goes down before charging it.

Tesla Service Center recommends to set it at 90%.

If you have a logging tool like TeslaFi.com, and if your car is not on a timer, you can see that your battery does not wait to go down before it would trickle charge it back up (if it's on a timer, it can't trickle charge until the clock allows it to).

OP as others mention, tesla would recommend to plug it in and leave it plugged in. Set the charge percentage to like 60-70% and leave it there, it will maintain itself fine. One nice thing about owning a tesla in these times... while people buy up all the toilet paper, eggs, produce, everything in the store like they will never see it again, one thing tesla owners dont have to do is get in yet another line to buy car fuel.

My wife waited almost 45 minutes trying to get gas this past sunday..... and gave me somewhat dirty looks because "my" car "fills up" at home.

Should I charge my Model 3 every few nights or just wait until I plan to drive.
You are talking about this as if charging it is a specific action you take. I encourage you to not think of it that way. If the car is at home, it is plugged in.

OP as others mention, tesla would recommend to plug it in and leave it plugged in. Set the charge percentage to like 60-70% and leave it there, it will maintain itself fine.
This is what I would recommend too. You can set the charge limit down lower than 90%, which will be a little easier on the battery to not be at a high state of charge all the time. But then you can just leave it that way, plugged in, for weeks or months, and it's not really any different than if you just don't happen to take the car out for a day or two.

I haven't left my home in 9 days. I just have it plugged in and the charge limit set down to 50%. 50% is still plenty of miles if I need to venture out for food or supplies. I have a HPWC so if I do need to hit the road for whatever reason, I can up the charge limit and top it off pretty quickly.

I had the exact same question and did the research. Set it at 50% and leave it plugged in. It's OK to go out and drive it around for fun and to get the charge down to 50% or lower. If you want to do the research yourself look up how to store lithium ion batteries. Panasonic recommends 30% to 50% charge. No one suggests storing the Tesla at less than 50% charge. Everyone recommends leaving it plugged in.

Sorry, what do you mean by this? Could you please elaborate? Thanks.

cell balancing | Tesla

tldr: "The pack has 96 groups, each is monitored for voltage and temperature. Charging completes when a single group reaches the set charging threshold. There are bleed resistors for each group that can slowly bleed the cell group voltage to match the group with the lowest voltage. Ideally, the pack is balanced when every group has the same voltage. This process used to only occur when charged to 100% and left to sit for hours, but there have been changes to the process, and it may occur at lower SOC levels now."

It's a Lithium ION battery. The properties are well known and can be easily found on the internet. Forget what Tesla says, chemistry is chemistry. We don't know the exact chemistry of a Tesla battery and we don't know where the limits are really set but 50% is probably really close to the real 50%. Based on that, if you really are not going to need it or drive it, 40-50% should be the optimal level to preserve your battery for the long term. Now, does it matter? Not if you trade your car in every few years but if you really are planning on keeping it for an extended period, do it. I try to keep mine between 30-70% to optimize longevity and when storing keep it plugged in and set at 50%. I do make sure to charge mine to 95%+ at 240 VAC/30 Amps every 3 months or so just so that the calculations are correct and the battery gets balanced properly. 240VAC/30Amps seems to be the sweet spot for that task.