Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sheridan, WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went by the Sheridan Best Western today and met with the GM, Gunter. He reiterated that ground should be broken this month and that superchargers should be live by July. He also mentioned that his owner has a couple service station properties in Gillette and they are being considered for superchargers. I imagine the contractor will do the jobs serially and hopefully close the I-90 gap this summer. He pointed out the location for the six chargers here so I know where to focus my attention for any action. He gave me his email address in order to solicit updates, as well.

I'd even pay $200 to help out with an HPWC in Gillette by June 30th. Gillette is the only thing that's preventing me from using that route.

I'd even pay $200 to help out with an HPWC in Gillette by June 30th. Gillette is the only thing that's preventing me from using that route.

This may be a stop gap...

Crowd Funding an HPWC in Sheridan, WY — Casper and Gillette to Possibly Follow - Page 8

You only need a little bump in order to get to/from Rapid City to Sheridan. You might also consider all the charging resources that are going into Custer for next week's rally--it's a detour, but pretty if time isn't a major factor.

This may be a stop gap...

Crowd Funding an HPWC in Sheridan, WY — Casper and Gillette to Possibly Follow - Page 8

You only need a little bump in order to get to/from Rapid City to Sheridan. You might also consider all the charging resources that are going into Custer for next week's rally--it's a detour, but pretty if time isn't a major factor.

I'd actually be going from the Cheyenne-Lusk direction, but yes, I wouldn't need all that much extra, and Casper wouldn't be out of the way at all, and would actually be my preferred choice, but are the ones being put in going to be around for a long time, or are they temporary for the event?

I'd actually be going from the Cheyenne-Lusk direction, but yes, I wouldn't need all that much extra, and Casper wouldn't be out of the way at all, and would actually be my preferred choice, but are the ones being put in going to be around for a long time, or are they temporary for the event?
I know you guys do not like the 50 amp outlets that much, but using those would be better than leaving the Tesla home IMHO.
Casper shows a couple of possibilities according to RVParking website.
Search Results Near Casper, WY | RV Parking.com[0]=bm_field_amps_50%3Atrue

It's 250 miles from Lusk to Sheridan with it's current 80A HPWC Destination Charging and a Supercharger to come.

EV Trip Planner calculates 250 road miles and 243 rated miles in an 85 with 19's at 0.93 speed or a 65 mph average. Driving slowly or getting a top up at a 14-50 along the way will get you to Sheridan. I believe that there is also a Tesla owner in Casper that has a 70 Amp charger available, but is not on PlugShare. Perhaps someone with that info will PM you.

The 2016 map seems to show a Supercharger in Casper; that will help the I-25 north to I-90 West route a lot.

Have fun!

It's 250 miles from Lusk to Sheridan with it's current 80A HPWC Destination Charging and a Supercharger to come.

EV Trip Planner calculates 250 road miles and 243 rated miles in an 85 with 19's at 0.93 speed or a 65 mph average. Driving slowly or getting a top up at a 14-50 along the way will get you to Sheridan. I believe that there is also a Tesla owner in Casper that has a 70 Amp charger available, but is not on PlugShare. Perhaps someone with that info will PM you.

The 2016 map seems to show a Supercharger in Casper; that will help the I-25 north to I-90 West route a lot.

Have fun!

A Tesla owner in Casper that has a 70 Amp HPWC or J1772 would be all that I would need. Thanks!!

Try going the other way. Sheridan to Lusk. That way appears to take a lot more energy because there is a non-trivial elevation gain. EVTripPlanner indicates I could make it if my top speed was no more than 40 mph in any section. ("Make it" means green at the destination rather than yellow), so charging in Casper is really needed.

2016 or 2017 (Tesla is not very accurate in their timelines) doesn't help in mid-2015 :)

A Tesla owner in Casper that has a 70 Amp HPWC or J1772 would be all that I would need. Thanks!!

Try going the other way. Sheridan to Lusk. That way appears to take a lot more energy because there is a non-trivial elevation gain. EVTripPlanner indicates I could make it if my top speed was no more than 40 mph in any section. ("Make it" means green at the destination rather than yellow), so charging in Casper is really needed.

2016 or 2017 (Tesla is not very accurate in their timelines) doesn't help in mid-2015 :)
I've made Sheridan to Lusk before by hypermiling and there have been several times when that was the goal but it wasn't possible because of wind. There are two 70 amp converted Roadster HPWCs in Casper that I can fill individuals in on if they PM me. One is right next to a hotel, so destination charging is an option as well.

I've made Sheridan to Lusk before by hypermiling and there have been several times when that was the goal but it wasn't possible because of wind. There are two 70 amp converted Roadster HPWCs in Casper that I can fill individuals in on if they PM me. One is right next to a hotel, so destination charging is an option as well.

Given that there is a possibility of "Destination Charging" in both Sheridan and Casper, my look at these "two charges between Supercharger" cases, has always resulted in the least apparent charge time used by doing the overnight, 100% charge at the first stop. This result happens because I do not count charging while I sleep in apparent charge time. If it were me, I would try to arrange my multi-day travel to sleep in Casper, topping up in Sheridan, on the way west, and sleep in Sheridan, topping up in Casper, on the way east. Given this strategy, it is probably close to a toss up in total time to stop in Lusk going west, probably a win stopping in Lusk on the way east.

See Crowd Funding an HPWC in Sheridan, WY — Casper and Gillette to Possibly Follow - Page 5 for details of a similar analysis by me using Gillette instead of Casper for this route.

Have fun working out your preferred charge tactics!

I'm thinking of going cross-continent in July. Has anyone heard anything further about Sheridan? Is the reason for the delay known? I know there are workarounds, but... it would be awfully convenient if this Supercharger were completed soon!
It's supposed to be complete in July. I'm hoping it gets the new thinner charging cable. Didn't see any activity as of today.

Went back to talk to the contractor and clearly Tesls has come down hard on them for NDA violations. They confirmed four stanchions as opposed to the six mentioned on supercharge.info. They wouldn't give a time frame or any info about Gillette. I'll have to keep an eye on things and try to confirm all the necessary components.

For the record, the distance from the Sheridan, WY supercharger site to the Rapid City, SD supercharger is 392 km / 244 miles. There is a 500 foot net difference in elevation. That's perfectly feasible in the summer, as long as you go slower than the speed limit on I-90.

For the record, the distance from the Sheridan, WY supercharger site to the Rapid City, SD supercharger is 392 km / 244 miles. There is a 500 foot net difference in elevation. That's perfectly feasible in the summer, as long as you go slower than the speed limit on I-90.
I've made that trip successfully, but since the speed limit is predominantly 80MPH, I did it in the middle of the night because it required going under 60 and 50 up hills. There have been several times I thought I might make it but stopped at a Plugshare in Gillette to add some slow, insurance miles on a 6.6kW charger. Since then Campbell County Hospital in Gillette has made a 14-50 available. There is also an HPWC at the Quality Inn in Buffalo, though there is a charge for non-guests. The wind is the big variable which determines if the trip from Sheridan to Rapid City is viable.