Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sheridan, WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now, we just need the Gillette install to continue the I-90 route east, and Casper to make the I-25 connection south.

I have heard from a reliable source that Gillette is "on the way..."

I've got "eyes" in Gillette and reports of utility markings at the Hampton Inn. I reiterated Casper to the guys here from Tesla today. Their route to Sheridan was a flight to Denver to pick up a car--their last supercharge was in Lusk and they over-nighted at the HPWC in Buffalo (Quality Inn). Last trip through the area, they flat bedded a car to Billings, which they didn't seem to enjoy nearly as much.

Sheridan went live this afternoon! Nice couple of guys from Palo Alto did the honors. Just took the token first charge with their blessing, though they probably won't announce the official opening right away.

That is fantastic - and from my point of view, hilarious. I am typing this from a room in the Quality Inn in Buffalo, Wyoming. I stopped at the Sheridan rest stop/visitor centre today, leaving at about 3:30pm. I was going to stop by the Supercharger, but thought, naw, why bother, I just checked the TMC page, it wasn't open, and it makes no difference anyway as I need to stay overnight somewhere.

I'm on my way from B.C. to Ontario via I-90. Fantastic scenery thus far, I must say!

LookoutEastofSheridan.jpg

Viewpoint on I-90 between Sheridan and Buffalo.

QualityInnBuffaloWY.jpg

Plugged in at the Quality Inn in Buffalo, WY.

Last edited:
Yeah, the right-hand one's hook has ripped the expansion bolts out of the brick. They used the wrong size. I wonder if that's the motel's or Tesla's responsibility to fix?

BTW, the motel charged me a twenty to charge there as a non-guest.

Last edited:
I drove the Rapid City to Billings route earlier this summer in the day and learned a lot about slow charging (I don't really like it compared to Supercharging, are you surprised?). Rapid City to Sheridan is 243 miles, usually doable in an 85 if you don't go too fast. A 60 with a couple hours in Gillette (at the hospital) is doable now too, I think. Gillette, of course, getting a supercharger will really fix up this stretch.
Congrats to all on keeping us informed about Sheridan.
THANKS to Tesla who keeps going to get the nation Supercharged!

I drove the Rapid City to Billings route earlier this summer in the day and learned a lot about slow charging (I don't really like it compared to Supercharging, are you surprised?). Rapid City to Sheridan is 243 miles, usually doable in an 85 if you don't go too fast. A 60 with a couple hours in Gillette (at the hospital) is doable now too, I think. Gillette, of course, getting a supercharger will really fix up this stretch.
Congrats to all on keeping us informed about Sheridan.
THANKS to Tesla who keeps going to get the nation Supercharged!

The Gillette hospital has padlocked the 14-50 outlet unfortunately. It is adjacent to an RV park that is now familiar with Tesla, though.

Does anybody have any tips for getting from Cheyenne to Sheridan in an 85D? Is it better to go through Lusk and then Rapid City (which is a long way out of the way, and still leaves a challenging drive from Rapid City to Sheridan, as mentioned above), or are there any decent charging options in Casper that would give me enough to to get to Buffalo or Sheridan without having to spend all day in Casper? EVTripPlanner suggests Cheyenne to Casper and Casper to Sheridan are both comfortable drives on a full charge, but PlugShare, Teslarati, and similar apps show ZERO charging options in Casper. As mentioned above, there seem to be options in Gillette, so maybe a trip through Mount Rushmore is in order? :wink:

Does anybody have any tips for getting from Cheyenne to Sheridan in an 85D? Is it better to go through Lusk and then Rapid City (which is a long way out of the way, and still leaves a challenging drive from Rapid City to Sheridan, as mentioned above), or are there any decent charging options in Casper that would give me enough to to get to Buffalo or Sheridan without having to spend all day in Casper? EVTripPlanner suggests Cheyenne to Casper and Casper to Sheridan are both comfortable drives on a full charge, but PlugShare, Teslarati, and similar apps show ZERO charging options in Casper. As mentioned above, there seem to be options in Gillette, so maybe a trip through Mount Rushmore is in order? :wink:

Although Lusk looks out of the way, the time that you save charging on a Supercharger vs L2 more than makes up for the extra driving miles. See Sheridan Supercharger Updates - Page 9 for some previous discussion on this including charging options in Casper and Buffalo.

EV Trip Planner says it's 267 rated miles from Lusk to Sheridan, so all you need is a little top up in Casper or Buffalo. EV Trip Planner also says it's 232 rated miles from Lusk to Buffalo, WY, but if I were doing this, I would stop in Casper for the little top up. If you have dual chargers, plan the top up with a quick lunch. If only single charger equipped, plan a top up with a more lengthy lunch.

Also remember that when there is an L2 charging stop on your trip, driving slower and needing a shorter top up can often reduce overall trip time.

Enjoy

Does anybody have any tips for getting from Cheyenne to Sheridan in an 85D?
FWIW, it seemed to me that the total time was about equal between driving to Lusk and Supercharging or charging slower in Casper without going to Lusk when I did it last week (I did Lusk plus Casper one way and Casper only the other). The difference is more driving time if you do Lusk and more sitting and waiting time if you do Casper only.

Thanks Cottonwood! Do you have any contact information for the chargers in Casper? I haven't been able to find anything in Casper other than what's mentioned in this thread. This will be my first road trip ever in my MS, so I'm trying to learn as much about the process as I can. (I see there are some charging options in Gillette, and the Cheyenne/Lusk/RapidCity/Gillette/Sheridan leg looks reasonable, and I *might* only need a couple hours of charging on L2 chargers in Gillette if I topped-up in Rapid City. (That's about 280 rated miles, which is more than I'd be willing to attempt direct, but even an hour or two on a 30A would seem to give a decent buffer.)

Thanks Cottonwood! Do you have any contact information for the chargers in Casper? I haven't been able to find anything in Casper other than what's mentioned in this thread. This will be my first road trip ever in my MS, so I'm trying to learn as much about the process as I can. (I see there are some charging options in Gillette, and the Cheyenne/Lusk/RapidCity/Gillette/Sheridan leg looks reasonable, and I *might* only need a couple hours of charging on L2 chargers in Gillette if I topped-up in Rapid City. (That's about 280 rated miles, which is more than I'd be willing to attempt direct, but even an hour or two on a 30A would seem to give a decent buffer.)

Rapid City is way out of the way for this trip. Casper has a couple 70A chargers owned by a multi-Tesla owner. PM me for details. I've done this trip more times than I can remember--sometimes through Lusk, others not, especially if I charge overnight in Casper.

- - - Updated - - -

Kind of lame article in the local paper about the new SC...

http://thesheridanpress.com/?p=39569

PM Bighorn for the Casper contact info. Make sure you have that and the Buffalo address.

Personally, I would suggest planning lunch in Lusk, doing a 99-100% charge there, then driving to Sheridan, starting with a maximum speed of 60 mph. Watch the Energy:Trip screen with Sheridan as you drive. Do the first 30 miles or so, then if the predicted SoC in Sheridan is still below 10%, either slow down a little or plan a stop in Casper or Buffalo. If it is well above 10%, speed up a little (3 mph or so), drive 20-30 more miles, and reevaluate. I bet you will end up driving about 65 mph max and making it all the way to Sheridan.

As Jerry said, driving direct from Cheyenne to Sheridan, and planning a lunch in Casper, may be a good choice, also. If you do that, I bet your minimum total travel time is with a speed of 55-60 mph or less. Use the Energy:Trip screen as described above with Sheridan set as the destination. That will let you know how much charge you need in Casper to make it to Sheridan.

Good Luck!