Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sherrif Deputy Threatens to take away my M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was using smart summon in a private neighborhood clubhouse. I was standing 25-50 feet from the car and was watching it carefully. Then, a sheriff deputy (Lawrenceville, GA) came in his car and came out, telling me that a driver NEEDS to be in the vehicle while an autonomous function is on. Me, all scared and nervous, said that Summon is supposed to come to the driver’s location, and I am able to stop the vehicle at any time. However he threatened to pound my vehicle if I am not in the vehicle while summon is on. I later called the police department and confirmed that the sheriff was wrong. However, as he is a sheriff deputy, he should know the laws better, also this was a private neighborhood... however this situation has left me shook and am scared to use summon again...
Has this happened to anyone?!

So I was using smart summon in a private neighborhood clubhouse. I was standing 25-50 feet from the car and was watching it carefully. Then, a sheriff deputy (Lawrenceville, GA) came in his car and came out, telling me that a driver NEEDS to be in the vehicle while an autonomous function is on. Me, all scared and nervous, said that Summon is supposed to come to the driver’s location, and I am able to stop the vehicle at any time. However he threatened to pound my vehicle if I am not in the vehicle while summon is on. I later called the police department and confirmed that the sheriff was wrong. However, as he is a sheriff deputy, he should know the laws better, also this was a private neighborhood... however this situation has left me shook and am scared to use summon again...
Has this happened to anyone?!

Whenever a cop says just about anything, ask them what statute they are referring to. And then when they give some nonsense reply, ask them again, what statute they are referring to. And just keep calmly asking them until they go away. If necessary you can look it up on the Tesla web browser, and tell them that they just need to give you the citation and you can all look it up right there.

Well, atleast he wasn't arresting you for eating a sandwich like a viral video from yesterday.
BART riders stage 'eat-in' protest over viral arrest video
BART has a clear no-eating policy with lots of visible signs saying that.

The officer first made a verbal warning and then several minutes later proceeded to ask the customer to leave the premises. The customer disputed that and so the officer was entirely entitled to use force to make sure the customer leaves.

As someone who rides BART, I applaud the officer's conduct. We need more guys like that!

So I was using smart summon in a private neighborhood clubhouse. I was standing 25-50 feet from the car and was watching it carefully.
Were you on a private territory (like a parking lot)? If yes then the officer has no jurisdiction over it. The traffic rules apply only to public roads.

There are exceptions, but they are few. E.g. an officer can legally arrest a drunk driver on private property if there's a reasonable possibility of them getting onto a public road.

Were you on a private territory (like a parking lot)? If yes then the officer has no jurisdiction over it. The traffic rules apply only to public roads.

There are exceptions, but they are few. E.g. an officer can legally arrest a drunk driver on private property if there's a reasonable possibility of them getting onto a public road.
Yes, it was a parking lot in my neighborhood, like by the pool