TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

She's Met Her Hero

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Half Dollar Bill, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

Oct 19, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    #1 Half Dollar Bill, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    She's Met My Hero

It's a bit of a back-story but the vanity plate wasn't my original plate. After about a year of driving I realized I wanted to upgrade to something EV-related and went back-and-forth over choices. I was going to do "4Q OPEC" but then an opportunity came up to do a presentation with students and I didn't think the plate would send the right message. More internal debate and it was about tax time and H&R Block's $9.99 commercial was getting a lot of airplay and NINE started to resonate with me. I immediately went to Kurt Vonnegut's ICE NINE, with ICE having the dual EV meaning but it was already taken. Then I thought of the german word and realized the even closer link with EV's in the form I settled on and it was a done deal.

Vonnegut was a seminal author in my youth so I was glad to be able to take Evie to the Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library in Indianapolis to snap this picture. Nice place inside; the staff took a minute to realize the connection and asked for a picture as well. He was a remarkable man with a remarkable story. Just wanted to share the occasion.
  2. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

Apr 23, 2015
    New York, NY
    Heh good story. Cat's Cradle was my favorite Vonnegut novel.

I love to tell people the story of how I became a Vonnegut fan at an early age (a story my late mother liked to tell on herself for years.) In 1974 I was 11 and recently come to the realization I could plow through light fare books under 300 pages in a single day. My homemaker mother was determined her four children would have an extensive home library but scold scarcely keep up with my sisters and I.

For my birthday that summer my favorite aunt, a history professor, got me The Gulag Archipelago, while my favorite uncle - an optometrist and also my mother's sibling - picked up Gravity's Rainbow. Unbeknownst to me this sparked a series of letters between the three of them debating the appropriateness of such heavy topics for a junior high boy. My mother, while she didn't forbid them from going through with their plan to expand my horizons, was certain I would become bored and fall back on my favorite genre of sports. So off she went to the nearest Waldenbooks. While in the best sellers section she spied a thin title called Breakfast of Champions and decided that would be perfect.

Needless to say that was a seminal year for me.
  3. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Dec 13, 2013
    Annapolis, MD