Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shhhhhh. . . It's a secret

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ibdb

Any excuse for a road trip
Apr 29, 2015
Puyallup, WA
My wife and I have been in the market for a new car for a little while. We casually looked at a Model S with our kids, but laughed it off when they told us we should buy one. They don't know that we went back this week for a test drive, and that our order for and 85D was confirmed yesterday. A friend also has a Model S and warned us that, if we took a test drive, it would be the most expensive test drive of our lives.

I'm not sure how long we're going to be able to keep our secret from our friends and family, but we're going to try. We might have to keep people out of our garage as we get everything wired and ready for the new arrival.

I'm already planning out some family summer road trips. Looking forward to learning more from everyone here.

If you are like most of us here, you will count this purchase as one of the best decisions of your life. Every day, you will walk into your garage thinking, "I get to drive the best car ever made today." It's been nearly two and a half years and I'm still in love with the car. You and your wife may have some challenges deciding who will drive it on a given day.

Suggestion: The person with the longest commute drives the Tesla, but the other partner gets it on weekends!

Welcome to the club. Get in touch with local members, join a local club, and spread the word.

I managed to keep the Tesla secret until I drove up in front of my parents place to take them for a fall colors drive. Then I swore them to secrecy and drove to the east coast and surprised my daughter. Haven't had that much fun in a long time.

My wife and I ordered our Model S in October 2013, not long after my father ordered his. But we didn't tell him. We took delivery in December one day before my parents arrived at our house for a Christmas week visit, driving their Model S. You should have seen the look on their faces when they drove up our driveway and saw our brand-new Model S in our carport, in the space they expected to park in. It was priceless.

Secrets can be fun.

Secrets can be fun.

I had fun, too. It helped traveling around a lot instead of staying around the same people every day. Did our study, test drive and deposit in Chicago December 2012, confirmed and gave the green light on my iPad while overseas in May 2013, and received it in my driveway in Florida during a hot afternoon in July with everybody in the neighborhood indoors and thus no witnesses. One of the first things I did was have the delivery guy take a photo of me sitting in the frunk. And that's what I used to spread the word aside from showing up at a crowded parking lot at the clubhouse the next morning.

We've made it about two weeks without spilling the beans. :wink:

An electrician is due at the beginning of next week. That could make things harder to conceal, especially since my dad does some electrical work.

My wife's been planning some family weekend trips for early summer. As soon as she mentions a location, I start checking out charging opportunities along the way and at the destination. I've only commented about a supercharger in front of the kids once, but no one caught it.

We've made it about two weeks without spilling the beans. :wink:

An electrician is due at the beginning of next week. That could make things harder to conceal, especially since my dad does some electrical work.

My wife's been planning some family weekend trips for early summer. As soon as she mentions a location, I start checking out charging opportunities along the way and at the destination. I've only commented about a supercharger in front of the kids once, but no one caught it.

Fun story and congrats! Maybe make up some reason to seal off garage (asbestos removal or something:) )

Today's the day!

DBB_150603_6010.jpg

I think this is the other obligatory picture.

DBB_150603_6017.jpg

The Seattle service center was packed. There were three other cars lined up with ours, and I can't even count how many were being prepped.

Our kids absolutely flipped out when we got home. We sent them text messages with pictures of the car with the bow, and then in our driveway. They weren't sure what to think at first, then we saw them in a window, followed very shortly by them running out the door in complete shock. :biggrin:

My mom planned something for my brother and I to take my dad to on Friday. They still don't know, and won't know until I roll up in front of their houses Friday morning. I, being a good son, volunteered to drive everyone of course. :wink: