Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shifting after disengaging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use FSD every day on my way home from work. My driveway is off a city street and I back into it. In order to do so I typically disengage FSD before I get to my driveway and let a combination of regen and the brake pedal slow me down under 5mph. At that point I hover my foot over the accelerator and shift up on the stalk to shift into reverse. More often than not I get a message “Press brake pedal to shift gears.” This causes me to awkwardly come to a full stop to shift.

I began to notice this behavior after joining FSD beta. I’m wondering if it has to do with the proximity of disengaging and trying to perform a shift without being on the brakes. I have a hard time isolating the behavior. Anyone else seeing something like this?

Attachments

• 55BE1872-32DA-4D03-9A5C-673E0F262054.jpeg
    55BE1872-32DA-4D03-9A5C-673E0F262054.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 251
I'll have to pay attention to exactly how I do it, but I do a similar thing when I back into my driveway and have never seen this message. 5mph seems a little on the fast side for this kind of maneuver. Do you think maybe slowing down to 2-3mph would avoid the message? Or maybe even pushing slightly on the brake pedal? Or in the worst case, simply anticipating that you will have to come to a "fuller" stop and do that (I realize you may be in a rush to get off the street).

There has to be a threshold somewhere where the car interprets pushing up on the stalk as meaning "shift into reverse" vs. "cancel autopilot or TACC" and maybe you are just above whatever speed threshold it has.

5mph seems a little on the fast side for this kind of maneuver.
The latest owner's manual states:
You can only shift into Reverse when Model 3 is stopped or moving less than 5 mph (8 km/h).
There has to be a threshold somewhere where the car interprets pushing up on the stalk as meaning "shift into reverse" vs. "cancel autopilot or TACC"
You only need to push the stalk up to the first position to cancel autopilot/TACC.

You need to push the stalk all the way up to the second position to shift into reverse. I assume pushing the stalk to the second position will always disable autopilot/TACC regardless of whether it successfully shifts to reverse or not.

I began to notice this behavior after joining FSD beta. I’m wondering if it has to do with the proximity of disengaging and trying to perform a shift without being on the brakes. I have a hard time isolating the behavior. Anyone else seeing something like this?
I tested this in a parking lot after reading your post [and not having noticed this behavior before]. I paid attention and noticed that my ‘normal’ behavior is to have the brake pedal partially depressed when shifting to either D or R while in motion, albeit still moving. Tried it with foot flat on floor and it worked as written in the manual. Was able to shift into both D & R without touching the brake as well as with foot covering the brake. I had to be quick about it with foot on floor. I have mine set to ‘creep’ and it would quickly surpass the <5 MPH threshold.

Having FSD disengaged or not prior had no impact on the results.

The latest owner's manual states:

You only need to push the stalk up to the first position to cancel autopilot/TACC.

You need to push the stalk all the way up to the second position to shift into reverse. I assume pushing the stalk to the second position will always disable autopilot/TACC regardless of whether it successfully shifts to reverse or not.
Finally, after judging others on this very forum for this very thing, got bit in the ar$e by this. Had tapped the brake automatically in response to another driver. Then reached up to disengage. I think I was subconsciously waiting for a change in the graphics out of the corner of my eye that never materialized. Shifted into neutral on I-95 at 76 MPH while trying to pass a semi🤦‍♂️. Fortunately you can also shift it right back into drive at 73…

OP is not "crazy" not sure why but maybe only effects some cars. However since I first got Beta (10.2) I have had the same aggravating behavior after disengaged Beta. If I don't use Beta it will shift directly into Reverse and after Beta I must press the Brake pedal.

IMG_0184.jpeg

I believe that the message to push the brake pedal before reversing appears when I try to reverse for the first time during a trip. The second time and later it works without brake pedal.

I haven't written a log though and may be wrong.

I consistently shifted in to R/D while rolling before (typically below 5 MPH I think). I use roll. But since FSD beta, it seems random when I get that “press brake pedal to shift gears” message. Sometimes it shows and sometimes I’m able to shift while rolling slowly. The inconsistency is annoying, but I’m somewhat resigned to it now. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: JulienW
OP is not "crazy" not sure why but maybe only effects some cars. However since I first got Beta (10.2) I have had the same aggravating behavior after disengaged Beta. If I don't use Beta it will shift directly into Reverse and after Beta I must press the Brake pedal.

View attachment 756562
Glad it’s not just me! If I don’t engage autopilot on the trip I don’t get this message. I’m well under the 5mph threshold. I think it has to do with the first shift after disengaging autopilot or FSD.