Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shifting gears in model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gorosap

Sep 6, 2018
CA
Hello,

Had a technician come by today to replace the steering column control module on my 2018 model 3 for faulty left turn signal. (known issue as described in this post - Model 3: Turn Signals... ARGH!).

Turn signal issue is fixed, but I noticed a change in right stalk behavior for shifting gears after technician left. Wanted to know if fixing the turn signal issue created a new problem.

Previous behavior of RIGHT stalk while in park (before today's appointment)-
  • Light press UP: Reverse
  • Light press DOWN: Drive
  • Hold up: Neutral

Current behavior while in Park or Drive after appointment -
  • Light press UP: Neutral
  • Light press DOWN: Neutral
  • Hard press UP (2 stops): Reverse
  • Hard press DOWN (2 stops): Drive
  • Hold up: Nothing (stays in Neutral)
Did the turn signal fix mess up the gear shifts? I feel like this will cause car to shift into neutral while driving very easily and cause car to coast or roll back on hills (lots of hills in SF!). Since I almost never needed to put car in Neutral, I feel like the original behavior of holding for a few seconds to go into neutral was much safer.

Thanks!

Seems to me they FIXED it. Your AFTER behavior is my normal behavior. For what it's worth, I've never accidentally shifted into neutral (in fact I have a hard time doing it on purpose). Maybe you think it is easy because that's what you have had to do to get into D or R. You will definitely have to retrain your muscle memory.

Hello,

Had a technician come by today to replace the steering column control module on my 2018 model 3 for faulty left turn signal. (known issue as described in this post - Model 3: Turn Signals... ARGH!).

Turn signal issue is fixed, but I noticed a change in right stalk behavior for shifting gears after technician left. Wanted to know if fixing the turn signal issue created a new problem.

Previous behavior of RIGHT stalk while in park (before today's appointment)-
  • Light press UP: Reverse
  • Light press DOWN: Drive
  • Hold up: Neutral

Current behavior while in Park or Drive after appointment -
  • Light press UP: Neutral
  • Light press DOWN: Neutral
  • Hard press UP (2 stops): Reverse
  • Hard press DOWN (2 stops): Drive
  • Hold up: Nothing (stays in Neutral)
Did the turn signal fix mess up the gear shifts? I feel like this will cause car to shift into neutral while driving very easily and cause car to coast or roll back on hills (lots of hills in SF!). Since I almost never needed to put car in Neutral, I feel like the original behavior of holding for a few seconds to go into neutral was much safer.

Thanks!

Shifting behavior is covered specifically in the manual:

==================================================

(Text copy / pasted from the tesla manual link above) :

Shifting​

How to Shift​

When Model 3 is in Park, you must press the brake pedal to shift.
Move the drive stalk up or down to shift into different drive modes.
Gear stalk with arrow, line, arrow line pointing up and repeating pointing down
If you try to shift when it is prohibited by the current driving speed, a chime sounds and the drive mode does not change.

Reverse​

Push the drive stalk all the way up and release. You can only shift into Reverse when Model 3 is stopped or moving less than 5 mph (8 km/h).

Neutral​

Push the drive stalk up or down to the first position and hold it there for more than 1 second to shift into Neutral. Neutral allows Model 3 to roll freely when you are not pressing the brake pedal.
Note
You must press the brake pedal to shift out of Neutral if driving slower than approximately 5 mph (8 km/h).
Model 3 automatically shifts into Park when you leave the driver's seat. To stay in Neutral, use the touchscreen to engage Transport Mode (see Instructions for Transporters).

Drive​

Push the drive stalk all the way down and release. You can shift into Drive when Model 3is stopped or moving less than 5 mph (8 km/h) in Reverse.
Note
When in Drive, push the drive stalk all the way down and release to enable cruise control (see Traffic-Aware Cruise Control) and push the stalk down twice in quick succession to enable Autosteer (see Autosteer).

Park​

Press the end of the drive stalk while Model 3 is stopped.
Arrow pointing to button at end of stalk
Model 3 automatically shifts into Park whenever you connect a charge cable or if two or more of the following conditions are met simultaneously while traveling slower than approximately 1.5 mph (2 km/h):
  • The driver's seat belt is unbuckled.
  • The occupancy sensor in the driver's seat does not detect an occupant.
  • The driver's door is opened.
To make it convenient to pick up passengers, you can also unlock all doors at any time by shifting into Park then pressing the Park button a second time.
Note
You must press the brake pedal to shift out of Park.
Note
The above conditions do not reflect a comprehensive list of reasons why Model 3 may or may not automatically shift into Park and, in certain scenarios, it is possible for your vehicle to shift into Park when only one of the above conditions is true.
Warning
In emergency situations, if the brakes are not functioning properly, press and hold the Park button on the drive stalk to bring the vehicle to a stop. Do not use this method to stop the vehicle unless absolutely necessary.
Warning
It is the driver's responsibility to always ensure the vehicle is in Park before exiting. Never rely on Model 3 to automatically shift into Park for you; it might not work in all circumstances (for example, if Creep or a slope causes the vehicle to travel greater than approximately 1.5 mph (2 km/h)).

Seems to me they FIXED it. Your AFTER behavior is my normal behavior. For what it's worth, I've never accidentally shifted into neutral (in fact I have a hard time doing it on purpose). Maybe you think it is easy because that's what you have had to do to get into D or R. You will definitely have to retrain your muscle memory.
haha. That's good to know. Never realized that in almost 4 years! And yes, I got used to it. It was actually nice to just tap quickly to change gears. I got worried because cruise control and autopilot also rely on light taps. Maybe when the car is over a certain speed limit while driving it won't go into neutral with just a light tap? Will have to test it to verify though.

Shifting behavior is covered specifically in the manual:

Neutral​

Push the drive stalk up or down to the first position and hold it there for more than 1 second to shift into Neutral. Neutral allows Model 3 to roll freely when you are not pressing the brake pedal.
Thanks for that. I only asked because the shifting behavior changed all of a sudden. Also, this is not true for my case - "hold it there for more than 1 second to shift into Neutral" It changes to Neutral with just a light tap and without me holding it there, which I assume is less than a a sec.

I got worried because cruise control and autopilot also rely on light taps.
Not sure if this was just the case in your previous behavior, but it's definitely not the case in the correct behavior. Engaging (and disengaging) AP/TACC are full presses. I never do anything other than a full press on the right stalk.

And I know you say you are worried about unintentionally shifting into neutral due to hills in SF, but may I ask why you're even messing around much with the right stalk in the hilly section of SF? While I certainly do a fair amount of messing around with that stalk on highways and even certain local roads (going in and out of AP), those are not areas that I would be concerned with winding up in neutral. For typical driving around town, I never see a huge need to even touch the right stalk. Just curious if there is a use case I am not thinking of.

So I did a bit of testing on this over the weekend, and even at very low speeds (under 10mph, and maybe even under 5mph), I get this if I try to shift into neutral while moving:
1646687651354.png

Conclusion: It would take a very determined and intentional effort to actually shift into neutral while rolling. I don't think you have much to worry about.