Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

shifts into park while in motion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My aunt's Model 3 shifted itself in park and shut down twice within 5 minutes. Tesla says she must not have been in driver's seat, although they also noted the car was moving at a low speed. She was in driver's seat, had not moved at all and was wearing a seat belt. I am scared to drive in the car with her.

Yeah, if she wiggles in her seat early in the drive without wearing a seatbelt at less than 5mph it will automatically shift to Park. It's harmless to the car and occupants.

Also, if she presses the Park button at less than 5mph it will go into Park, again harmless.

If the door is opened at less than 5mph there's a similar logic. It's not easy to open the door while driving but it's possible that the door was not quite latched completely and popped open to the half-latched position. The ajar door would then be just as noticeable (and just as safe) as it is on any other car.

If she didn't do any of these things, there may be some sensor failure as @XPsionic noted.

Reactions: XPsionic
Take a video of it happening if you can.

Reasons why it could happen:
1. Door was opened
2. She lifted her butt off the seat (leaning outwards at a ticket booth for example)
3. Seat sensor malfunction
4. Seat belt sensor malfunction
5. User error with the gear stalk
6. Door sensor malfunction
7... and others I can't think of
you did better than the local tesla repair! they tried to blame it on her being 100 lbs. They did finally print out a report from the day it happened and then informed her she had taken off her seat belt while the car was in motion (she wears it to back out of the garage!). They finally replaced the seat belt sensor to get rid of us.

Take a video of it happening if you can.

Reasons why it could happen:
1. Door was opened
2. She lifted her butt off the seat (leaning outwards at a ticket booth for example)
3. Seat sensor malfunction
4. Seat belt sensor malfunction
5. User error with the gear stalk
6. Door sensor malfunction
7... and others I can't think of
My 2018 M3 started doing this 2-3 months ago. Honestly, it's a nuthinburger when it's in your driveway, although even from 2mph I will say it's not a pleasant experience because it is completely unexpected (maddeningly random) and even at that slow speed it's a real jerk to full stop. But the other day it happened when I was on that street and *that* becomes a safety issue. I was hoping a software update would resolve it - I've taken one update since it started and no joy on a fix. I'm not wiggling, and I am no where near 135 lbs lol -- is the conclusion a bad seat belt or door sensor? It happens with seat belt on and door closed. Any chance a software update fixes this?

My 2018 M3 started doing this 2-3 months ago. Honestly, it's a nuthinburger when it's in your driveway, although even from 2mph I will say it's not a pleasant experience because it is completely unexpected (maddeningly random) and even at that slow speed it's a real jerk to full stop. But the other day it happened when I was on that street and *that* becomes a safety issue. I was hoping a software update would resolve it - I've taken one update since it started and no joy on a fix. I'm not wiggling, and I am no where near 135 lbs lol -- is the conclusion a bad seat belt or door sensor? It happens with seat belt on and door closed. Any chance a software update fixes this?

It sounds like a seat sensor in your case. I have seen a few threads where the car doesnt always recognize someone is in the seat and it causes stuff like this.

I doubt a software update fixes this for you but I dont work ffor tesla or anything.