Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shipping a Copart Salvage Model S from AZ to PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just won a 2015 Model S 85 RWD at Copart. The car is in Phoenix and I'm near the Philadelphia area. I got a few online quotes from uship/montway for 1300~1600. I'm wondering if there's a general checklist I need to follow and if anyone has some experience shipping from an auction site. Like what happens if there's a shipping pickup delay and how Copart handles storage fees.

If anyone needs more details, the car was listed as "Runs and drives" with primary damage to the roof (non sunroof) and windshield (front & back). From the pictures it looks like a rolling tire on the highway jumped on the car or a tree fell on it. Since it's branded salvage I assume Tesla has already disabled supercharging so I can't drive it back home + I don't know what else is wrong with it. I'm flying out there next week to check it out before the shipper picks it up.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 62
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 60
Make sure you look at the underside of the vehicle when you get there and when it is delivered to your home. If that vehicle won't run they will load it onto a Trailer with a Forklift. If you have extra time you should just rent a Truck and a Trailer and pick it up yourself

Thanks for all the tips guys. So the car was dead and the auto transport guy didn't end up picking the car last Thursday. I called copart dispatch in Phoenix and told them the car transport guy wasn't able to pickup the car since it was dead. Since it was listed as a "Run and Drive" car I assume the battery is completely dead. Asked them if they could charge it for a few days and they said they'll find out how to do that and call back but I haven't heard anything back from them for two days. I called them bunch of times but they kept saying they're trying to find out what to do and will call back once they've an answer.

So I'm flying out there on Tuesday to see if I can somehow jump the car and get it near an outlet to charge there for a few days before the transport attempts again.

I'll definitely be sure to check out the undercarriage and really don't want a forklift to lift the car just in case the battery gets dented. My last option is to rent a trailer and pickup but am wary of the trip plans because it's such a heavy car. I mean this will literally be my last choice but I've been prepping for it.