TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Shipping a Tesla to Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Papafox, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Papafox

Papafox Active Member

So I had fun driving my 70D throughout the other 49 states, but now it's time to bring it to Hawaii. It looks like Matson and Pasha both offer drive-on service for about $1100, but while reading reviews I see too many references to damage to give me a good feeling. Any suggestions? I am wondering how Tesla brings its cars here. I'm thinking they use a private service that puts the cars in containers, rather than using drive-on service. Ideas?

2. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

I've shipped twice to Hawaii. Most recent was about 5 years ago(but not a Tesla). No problem either time using Matson. And yes, you are correct Tesla uses containers to ship. I took these pictures about 16 months ago. Sorry, didn't catch the carrier name though.
    22DEC_1.JPG 22DEC_2.JPG 22DEC_3.JPG

3. Papafox

Papafox Active Member

Thanks for the info, Akikiki.

4. WeazL

WeazL Moderator - Hawaii

I've used both carriers. Pasha got an SUV here for me without issue. Two days ago I picked up a new executive van from Matson and it had damage. It was too big to fit in a container so it was roll-on. Generally I go with Pasha, but for the first time ever, Matson beat their price. Matson is making good on the damage though.

5. deonb

deonb Active Member

I've used Matson before the ship a black vehicle to Hawaii (and back), and it looked like it went through a sand storm when I picked it up in Hawaii.

Dozens of surface-scratches on each and every panel. No idea how they were able to accomplish that.

6. spleen

spleen Active Member