Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shipping a Tesla to Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Papafox

Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2013
Hawaii
Referral Code
So I had fun driving my 70D throughout the other 49 states, but now it's time to bring it to Hawaii. It looks like Matson and Pasha both offer drive-on service for about $1100, but while reading reviews I see too many references to damage to give me a good feeling. Any suggestions? I am wondering how Tesla brings its cars here. I'm thinking they use a private service that puts the cars in containers, rather than using drive-on service. Ideas?

I've shipped twice to Hawaii. Most recent was about 5 years ago(but not a Tesla). No problem either time using Matson. And yes, you are correct Tesla uses containers to ship. I took these pictures about 16 months ago. Sorry, didn't catch the carrier name though.
22DEC_1.JPG
22DEC_2.JPG
22DEC_3.JPG

I've used both carriers. Pasha got an SUV here for me without issue. Two days ago I picked up a new executive van from Matson and it had damage. It was too big to fit in a container so it was roll-on. Generally I go with Pasha, but for the first time ever, Matson beat their price. Matson is making good on the damage though.

I've used Matson before the ship a black vehicle to Hawaii (and back), and it looked like it went through a sand storm when I picked it up in Hawaii.

Dozens of surface-scratches on each and every panel. No idea how they were able to accomplish that.

I’m in the process of shipping a car to the Big Island via Matson. It’s not a Tesla, but I plan to ship one of my Tesla’s to the Big Island at some point later this summer, too. I’m waiting on a charging station installation.

Will report back on my Matson experience after arrival. Glad the non-Tesla vehicle is the test mule.

Reactions: Jdm_sky and Akikiki
Just got a call from Matson. The non-Tesla vehicle (It was a Jeep Cherokee) I shipped left Long Beach, CA on 6/15/2019 is now available for pick up in Hilo today, 6/26/2019. So, amazingly, this took less than 2 weeks.

I'm unfortunately going to be stuck with some port storage fees. I won't be able to pick up until 7/5 in Hilo. Will give a full report after picking up next week.

I was initially told 3 weeks from Long Beach. I am shocked the car was delivered early.

So the experience with Matson went very smoothly! They have a ship, the Mokihana, that leaves from Long Beach, CA every Saturday. To make that trip, the car has to be at the port by the Wednesday before. Weather and conditions permitting, It takes about 4-5 days to sail from Long Beach, CA to Honolulu. Once in Honolulu, I was told the Waialeale sails to Hilo on Mondays, and that my car may or may not make the Monday sail. It would depend on how much cargo had to be unloaded and loaded at the dock. My car apparently made it and was in Hilo and ready for pickup 2 days later on that Wednesday. If it had not been loaded, it would have sat at the pier in Honolulu and loaded up on the following Monday.

Car was a little dirty, but nothing too bad or unexpected. Overall, it was in great shape to be honest. They didn't even charge me any storage fees.

One small tip - email support did not have the most updated information, but whenever I called, the folks were very nice and very informative.

I had a very good experience overall, although I know a lot of this process can depend on the weather. When I do ship a Tesla over, Matson has earned another shot with me.