Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shipping cross country + vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shipping company picked up my M3 this morning. SoC was about 73% at drop-off. For obvious reasons I have both valet and sentry modes enabled.

I keep checking and the car hasn’t moved. Guess the driver isn’t headed east yet.

But my battery is now down to 63% and I am getting range anxiety when I’m not even driving :)

For those of you who park your AWDs for days at a time, what’s typical vampire drain?

And those with similar experience, would you opt for turning off sentry if it may be in a trailer for 5 more days?

Thanks.

Shipping company picked up my M3 this morning. SoC was about 73% at drop-off. For obvious reasons I have both valet and sentry modes enabled.

I keep checking and the car hasn’t moved. Guess the driver isn’t headed east yet.

But my battery is now down to 63% and I am getting range anxiety when I’m not even driving :)

For those of you who park your AWDs for days at a time, what’s typical vampire drain?

And those with similar experience, would you opt for turning off sentry if it may be in a trailer for 5 more days?

Thanks.

You're going to lose something like 24 miles a day with Sentry mode, and doesn't it turn off at 20%? You're likely going to have to turn it off and take your chances on the shipping company having proper insurance if something happens.

I mean, I guess you could leave it on until it gets to 20%, just to provide you coverage for as long as you can get it - it might be nearly long enough - as long as your hard drive/USB key doesn't fill up! If he's moving the car around on the truck and getting in/out of it, hopefully Cabin Overheat Protection is turned off as well.

I hope it's an enclosed truck, otherwise that USB key is going to fill up awfully quick! You'll set a record for the number of events detected I think.

It might even play the loud music or whatever it does when it gets really upset - all the jostling should be plenty for that but no idea really. Could be exciting (distracting?) for the truck driver.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Truck is enclosed, and BoL specifies not a single bit of damage. I also forgot to turn off cabin overheat protection.

Guess I’m going to rely on insurance and turn off Sentry mode. It’s all through a corporate relo so if anything goes wrong I’ll have a way to get it sorted.

@AlanSubie4Life maybe something major will go wrong, I can re-buy a P3D-, and then delete that now-bloody-obnoxious-lovers-quarrel-speculative-bitchfest thread I started about unlocking AWDs :D