Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shipping model X from California to Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have experience shipping their Model X from California to another state?
-Any recommendations on close vs open carrier shipping and specific companies?
-Also, should I charge it to 90% (2016 model X 90D)

Thanks in advance!

When I purchased our 2012 S P85, Tesla shipped it from Fremont directly to my front door in Houston (the nearest Service Center was in Denver).

Even though it came in an closed carrier, Tesla still had a detailer come to do a thorough cleaning of the vehicle after delivery. Though with an open carrier, it would likely have been a little more dirtier on the outside.

I don't have a recommendation on the carrier, though when I've shipped vehicles from Houston to Denver or San Francisco, I went onto one of the vehicle shipping websites, submitted my shipping request, and then waited for a carrier to indicate they'd be able to pick up the vehicle. There are a lot of independent transporters - if you have scheduling constraints (when to pickup or to deliver), you may have fewer choices on price and type of carrier. If you're flexible on timing, you should have more choices.

As for the amount of battery charge - the vehicle will be driven only to get on and off the transport. It will be exposed to outside temperatures - which will incur some battery use in order to keep the battery pack in the operating temperature range. Though this shouldn't be any different than parking the vehicle for an extended period outside. If the vehicle starts at 90% charge you should be OK, as long as you've enabled the energy saving features (depending upon MCU1 or MCU2) - disable sentry, disable "always connected", ... This is how Tesla ships new vehicles - across the US - and on ships.

Reactions: andrewdtran
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have experience shipping their Model X from California to another state?
-Any recommendations on close vs open carrier shipping and specific companies?
-Also, should I charge it to 90% (2016 model X 90D)

Thanks in advance!

funny you posted this I’m researching exact same thing. I guess I’m not the only one moving from SoCal to tx. I think I might just haul it on a vehicle dolly.
Let me know what you find for prices on moving everything in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerTan
My folks used DAS (D-something Auto Shippers) to move their hybrid Camry PA->WA. Exactly as promised. Not a lot of choices on where to drop off and pick up; I think each was ~1 hour from their house. Travel time was not quick: I think it was 2-2.5 weeks from drop to pick. I presume the price goes up the tighter you want the timing to be. Looked like open trailers from what we saw.

funny you posted this I’m researching exact same thing. I guess I’m not the only one moving from SoCal to tx. I think I might just haul it on a vehicle dolly.
Let me know what you find for prices on moving everything in general.
Will do. I’ll likely be moving in the summer, just trying to price and find reputable shippers. Where are you in SoCal and what part of texas are you moving to? Wonder if we can strike a volume deal :)

When I purchased our 2012 S P85, Tesla shipped it from Fremont directly to my front door in Houston (the nearest Service Center was in Denver).

Even though it came in an closed carrier, Tesla still had a detailer come to do a thorough cleaning of the vehicle after delivery. Though with an open carrier, it would likely have been a little more dirtier on the outside.

I don't have a recommendation on the carrier, though when I've shipped vehicles from Houston to Denver or San Francisco, I went onto one of the vehicle shipping websites, submitted my shipping request, and then waited for a carrier to indicate they'd be able to pick up the vehicle. There are a lot of independent transporters - if you have scheduling constraints (when to pickup or to deliver), you may have fewer choices on price and type of carrier. If you're flexible on timing, you should have more choices.

As for the amount of battery charge - the vehicle will be driven only to get on and off the transport. It will be exposed to outside temperatures - which will incur some battery use in order to keep the battery pack in the operating temperature range. Though this shouldn't be any different than parking the vehicle for an extended period outside. If the vehicle starts at 90% charge you should be OK, as long as you've enabled the energy saving features (depending upon MCU1 or MCU2) - disable sentry, disable "always connected", ... This is how Tesla ships new vehicles - across the US - and on ships.
Thank you for the detailed response, this helps. Hopefully I can get it shipped to arrive in a 7-10 days, this way the vampire drain doesn’t totally discharge my battery.

My folks used DAS (D-something Auto Shippers) to move their hybrid Camry PA->WA. Exactly as promised. Not a lot of choices on where to drop off and pick up; I think each was ~1 hour from their house. Travel time was not quick: I think it was 2-2.5 weeks from drop to pick. I presume the price goes up the tighter you want the timing to be. Looked like open trailers from what we saw.
ThAnks!

I did that too, used DAS to ship a new vehicle from TN to CA a few years back. The cost made absolute sense as it was an ICE with all of the features I wanted, and only available from that one dealer in the US.

* You can ship to home, presuming you don't live out in the boonies up some crazy windy road
* You can ship to their delivery center (it was Oakland for me) and save a few bucks

Everything through DAS was done online, and the auto-dealer understood what was going on.

However, I still need to figure out how to get that title ;)