Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shipping my Model Y to Europe - Lots of questions and concerns!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Alex#$ As others have said, thank you for your service!

You mentioned that you have not yet taken delivery of your MY. I think if it were me, and I was really interested in an electric car, I would probably cancel my order and try one of the many EV's not available here - maybe the ID.3/4, or the Renault Zoe. (You also said there is a 'very good chance' which means there is also a chance the move WON'T happen - another good reason to maybe wait until that decision is made). The ID.3/4 has versions approaching 300 miles of range, and the Zoe 200 miles. You could also buy a Model 3 once you get there. I think that is how I would approach it. Just too many questions regarding importing a new BEV from the US, and I also think it would be cool to drive something we don't get.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

Hi Alex#$ - Just checking for a status update, if possible.

On the same boat here, a year later... Not in the service (thanks for yours by the way!), but relocating to Europe due to work and personal reasons with my family. We have a 4-month-old Model Y which we love and plan to ship to the Netherlands in our case.

I have read several blogs, watched videos including the ones from this thread. Aside from the navigation (which sucks), sounds like this is doable... What has been your experience so far?

Thanks/Erhan

Hi Alex#$ - Just checking for a status update, if possible.

On the same boat here, a year later... Not in the service (thanks for yours by the way!), but relocating to Europe due to work and personal reasons with my family. We have a 4-month-old Model Y which we love and plan to ship to the Netherlands in our case.

I have read several blogs, watched videos including the ones from this thread. Aside from the navigation (which sucks), sounds like this is doable... What has been your experience so far?

Thanks/Erhan
I believe there's no 'extra' car tax on EVs in the Netherlands (something like 40% if the car is above a certain price) so it might be worth just to sell the vehicle here, and buy a new one there, if it wasn't for the fact that the Y is not yet on sale in Europe. I see the NL Tesla site prices it up around 65K Euro (i.e. $80K) inclusive of tax. That might not be great but you would almost certainly be on the hook for taxes even when importing since the vehicle is only 4 months old. Also you'd need to invest in updating the lights to make them comply to EU standards.

I think one problem is that you can't really use it for longer road trips as you can't fast charge it. Another problem is that since the Y is not released in Europe there won't be a European type approval which I expect you need (I'm not really certain on that one but in general the Netherlands is ridiculously strict on these things). That would likely be different for the OP as he's in the military.

BTW: I moved in the opposite direction a long time ago :)

Thanks, Frank! I see that you are also in SD, we are in Carlsbad.

I was focused on exactly those reasons (possible tax advantage & cost differential) when buying the Y in November'20 as our move (while not guaranteed) was probable. I am in a terrible bind and need to some more homework and some risk analysis :)

I will start a new post to get more eyeballs to see if there might be anyone else in this same situation by any chance.

Thanks/Erhan

- Has anyone shipped their car internationally? Was the shipping company knowledgeable with how to care for EVs? What are the best charge levels/ modes to set the car to for shipping?
I shipped my car back in the mid 1980's. Make sure you have insurance for the shipping. Very bad weather could toss the cars around a bit. It will also take longer than you expect.
Make sure you have insurance on the car in Germany before you pick it up.

I traveled a LOT around Europe. Great experiences. It was an ICE car and it was easy to get fuel.
No clue how to do that with an EV now. Try planning some trips using ABRP and see how it seems to be.
A Better Routeplanner

I suggest Garmisch and Salzberg and Vienna and ... heck just about anywhere.
Oktoberfest (in September) in Munich is fun. Just don't drive there. Take public transportation.
I recommend Englischer Garten (also in Munich) in the summer. There used to be a Chinese Pagoda that served spare ribs. Hard to get spare ribs in Germany.

What I heard is that if you are suspected of DUI and get pulled over, the police can take your license right there and then and you have to petition the courts to get it back. They do not fool around with DUI.
Driving on the autobahn takes a little getting used to. First they fully expect you to driving in the right lane UNLESS QUICKLY passing a car.

It took a while to learn the signs, rules and get comfortable at the higher speeds. Also OBEY all speed limit signs, especially on the exits. When it says to slow down to 30 kph, SLOW DOWN. My first exit was "exciting". It was effectively a U-turn and I approached it much too quickly. Luckily it was in the daylight and I was driving far enough ahead to slow down enough. My autopilot (aka wife) was not happy with the # of G's I was pulling, but I managed to stay on the road(barely), so I considered that a win.

by my 2nd year, I was comfortable doing 150 kph on the autobahn. However, you have to know the rules.
I was cruising down the autobahn and approached a car going much slower (maybe 120), so I signaled and got into the empty passing lane. As soon as I did that, I noticed someone flashing their headlights at me. They were like 2 or 3 miles behind. I said to myself, "oh come on..." I completed my pass and as soon as I pulled over, a Ferrari screamed by me like I was standing still. Probably doing well over 250 kph. That was another lesson for me...

Make sure your tires are rated for the speed you are doing.

Reviving this thread again. Wife just got military orders to Rota, Spain and we have a Model Y that was purchased at the end of September. I really don’t want to part with the car and I think it will be a steep loss if I have to sell. Anyone make a Tesla work in Europe?

Reviving this thread again. Wife just got military orders to Rota, Spain and we have a Model Y that was purchased at the end of September. I really don’t want to part with the car and I think it will be a steep loss if I have to sell. Anyone make a Tesla work in Europe?

I am in Carlsbad and though not in the military, I am in the same boat as you - misery likes company :) We are moving to the Netherlands in June.
First, check out this video (
). You might have a way out, your wife being in the military!
I have done extensive research on this and can talk on the phone if you like.
Cheers/Erhan

I am in Carlsbad and though not in the military, I am in the same boat as you - misery likes company :) We are moving to the Netherlands in June.
First, check out this video (
). You might have a way out, your wife being in the military!
I have done extensive research on this and can talk on the phone if you like.
Cheers/Erhan

Thanks Erhan, we plan to move to Europe and I would like to talk to you, would appreciate your help. Was able to gather lots of info but wanted to make sure I touch on all issues. Possible?

Thank you for posting this article about moving to Europe with your car. It's something I have been thinking about. My main reason is thriftyness. My base Model 3 is two years old, if I sold it it's probably worth $25k at most, and a new Model 3 in Portugal costs $50k, so I'd rather just bring it with me.

Reactions: kayak1
Hey everyone. I am getting orders for august 2022 to ramstein. I have had my Model S for years, and it is paid off. I don’t want to part ways with it. I did have some questions: 1) if I get a CCS2 to tesla USA adapter, will I be good to use EU superchargers? 2) I have unlimited supercharging, will I keep this when I move to EU? 3) my warranty is already pretty much gone, so I don’t care about voiding the warranty, what do I need to do so my navigation/maps and airdrop updates work? 4) what other adapter should I buy so my USA plugs work in EU?

Hey everyone. I am getting orders for august 2022 to ramstein. I have had my Model S for years, and it is paid off. I don’t want to part ways with it. I did have some questions: 1) if I get a CCS2 to tesla USA adapter, will I be good to use EU superchargers? 2) I have unlimited supercharging, will I keep this when I move to EU? 3) my warranty is already pretty much gone, so I don’t care about voiding the warranty, what do I need to do so my navigation/maps and airdrop updates work? 4) what other adapter should I buy so my USA plugs work in EU?
Thanks for your service.

These sound like questions for Tesla, as you'll get very little direct experience here. If I were you, I'd drive to the nearest store and talk to a Sales Advisor, see if they could hook you up with someone from the company that could give you definitive answers.

This is probably a stretch but would it be possible to just have Tesla service in Europe swap out the charge port for the EU-spec CCS port? If doable, you could keep the US-spec version and re-swap when you return to the US.

Check with Tesla to see if this is doable. Aside from maybe some software changes (if any), I imagine the hardware past that charge port should be the same.

Also, check out this interesting read...

Last edited: