Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shipping notification on Gen 3 Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a Gen 3 Wall Charger on Monday (July 20).

I purchased a J1772 adapter on Tuesday (July 21).

I got a shipping notification email on my J1772 adapter. When I view my orders, it shows me tracking info on the J1772.

I haven't gotten any email notification on the wall charger. My page says something like Tracking Information Not Available.

My question is - does this mean my Gen 3 Wall Charging is shipping without tracking info? Or that my Gen 3 Wall Charger hasn't shipped yet...

I take delivery on my car next Wednesday July 29.

I purchased a Gen 3 Wall Charger on Monday (July 20).

I purchased a J1772 adapter on Tuesday (July 21).

I got a shipping notification email on my J1772 adapter. When I view my orders, it shows me tracking info on the J1772.

I haven't gotten any email notification on the wall charger. My page says something like Tracking Information Not Available.

My question is - does this mean my Gen 3 Wall Charging is shipping without tracking info? Or that my Gen 3 Wall Charger hasn't shipped yet...

I take delivery on my car next Wednesday July 29.

If you received no shipping notification and there is no shipping information available on your account page, does one of your proposed answers seem more likely than the other?

The responses on this site are almost polite to a fault.

Just wanted to follow up on this real briefly. My (Gen 3) wall charger arrived today. I never received any e-mail notifications. (To my knowledge) the Tesla.com "shop" account page never updated with information that it had shipped. But like Christmas for the Whos down in Whoville, it came, just the same.

Took 8 days from order date. I live in Pennsylvania. "FYI"

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
If that possible, try to find a way to have the plug coming from above the car and just next to the charging plug.
to avoid the cable touching the floor and also avoid to have to avoid it when walking around the car.
There are many examples on this forum.

Do you have also a good WiFi access, as this would be necessary for the software updates.

If that possible, try to find a way to have the plug coming from above the car and just next to the charging plug.
to avoid the cable touching the floor and also avoid to have to avoid it when walking around the car.
There are many examples on this forum.

Do you have also a good WiFi access, as this would be necessary for the software updates.

I should have excellent WiFi access, as my router is in the adjacent room, through one wall, on the same floor. Probably about 20 feet away.

Am I understanding you correctly to try to hang the charger from the ceiling? Or did you just mean along a side wall, but up higher, and right next to the charging port?

Am I understanding you correctly to try to hang the charger from the ceiling? Or did you just mean along a side wall, but up higher, and right next to the charging port?
Yeah, he means from the ceiling, and I've seen examples of that on this forum, but it is a ridiculous, cumbersome, and unnecessary thing to construct or install the kinds of arms and pulleys and such to suspend it from the ceiling. That's only if you are really ambitions and want to create a home improvement project for yourself. And the second part of it doesn't even make sense. With the cord sitting on the floor, you don't have to avoid it when walking around the car. You just step over the cord.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I should have excellent WiFi access, as my router is in the adjacent room, through one wall, on the same floor. P
robably about 20 feet away.

Am I understanding you correctly to try to hang the charger from the ceiling?
Or did you just mean along a side wall, but up higher, and right next to the charging port?
In general, the simpler is to have the charger at normal height near where the car plug will be located,
and then having some kind of articulated beam just above the car so the charger plug and wire will hang against the wall when
not in use, and then by doing a rotation of the beam, the plug will just hang at the correct height facing the car charging receiver.

It just that when you want to walk around the car to access the trunk when coming from the driver door you don't hit the car plug,
which is a little protuberant outside of the car, especially if you have a narrow garage.

There is not a general solution, some people prefer having the plug on the back of the garage but they have to enter rear first,
or some want to have flexibility to park the car on the driveway and still be able to charge so the plug needs to be near the door.

I would recommend digging this forum using the search button, here are some examples:

You could also post some pictures of your own garage to get some alternatives installation possibilities.

Yeah, he means from the ceiling, and I've seen examples of that on this forum,
but it is a ridiculous, cumbersome, and unnecessary thing to construct
or install the kinds of arms and pulleys and such to suspend it from the ceiling.
That's only if you are really ambitions and want to create a home improvement project for yourself.
This don't need to be really fancy or complicated, in my case there was a cabinet on the wall next to the car.

I use one of the doors of the cabinet to hold the cable, so it was just a matter to attach the cable to the door with some quick release clips.

My solution might not be the best looking, but it is very practical. In particular I don't have to roll my cable back and force all the time.

However it is true that some people must have spent a lot of time and money to build a high tech garage so the charging is completely hidden.

And the second part of it doesn't even make sense.
With the cord sitting on the floor, you don't have to avoid it when walking around the car. You just step over the cord.
It really depend how much space you have around your car.

For example, do you keep your rear view mirrors folded when parked in your garage.

But eventually someone (an adult or a kid) could trip on the cable and fell on the floor and could also damage the charging car port.

Last edited:
with so many electric cars sold over the last few years (not just the 1 million teslas) i was surprised to not find any charge cord suspension systems being offered. charging with the 240 volt high current cord laid out on the garage floor or driveway seems dangerous to people walking by plus wearing on the cord when it gets dragged to or from the car. wonder how many wall chargers have been broken or plugs on the cars damaged from people tripping on the cord. i would think at least one of the companies offering vinyl surfaces and plastic floor mats would see the need. been looking for something to keep 18 to 23 feet of wire out of the way and off the floor. plus don't want to coil it up every morning and uncoil it every evening.
when was the last time you saw an ICE car at a gas pump with the filler hose lying on the ground?

Reactions: Watts_Up
It just that when you want to walk around the car to access the trunk when coming from the driver door you don't hit the car plug,
which is a little protuberant outside of the car, especially if you have a narrow garage.
That still doesn't make any sense. How do you explain how the car will be plugged in without the charging handle protruding out from the body of the car? That's not possible. The handle sticks out of the car when it is plugged in, regardless of whether the cord then goes up or down.

This don't need to be really fancy or complicated, in my case there was a cabinet on the wall next to the car.

I use one of the doors of the cabinet to hold the cable, so it was just a matter to attach the cable to the door with some quick release clips.
So these kinds of things put it up at head height, where it will hit people in the face instead of being on the floor where they can walk over it. I don't see the benefit.