Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shocked by the new Roadster rolling out of the Tesla Semi!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, serious question about the roadster... Is everyone here who plans on getting one rich enough to actually just buy it outright with cash? Where does one even acquire a loan for a $300K sports car? I had a hard enough time convincing my bank to fund the $100K for the Model S 4-years ago.
I don't see why not. There are people buying $10 million houses with cash. There are plenty of sports (hyper) cars out there on loans. As for $100k loan... it was only a 5min call with Alliant for me. They didn't even need to see prove of income, just credit score.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
Do not want. From where I sit, this looks like an ego project for Elon Musk and a branding exercise for Tesla, rather than a car designed to fit the market and the purpose.
The purpose was explained by Elon: "Hardcore smackdown to gasoline cars". He's repeating the playbook they used to launch the whole EV revolution by producing the original Roadster. This should seal the deal.

Carbon fiber wheels to boot.

Attachments

• 61C39D6F-635C-439F-8C96-4E5EA639EF4C.png
    61C39D6F-635C-439F-8C96-4E5EA639EF4C.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 118
Reactions: StephenM and McManX
The rest is physics.

No kidding. 10+ times the amount of torque as a hellcat engine at 0 rpm.
The tires need be glued to the wheel and inflused with unicorn horn dust.

It's such a huge number. Kinda like trying to comprehend the universe. 10,000nm of torque = about 7,350 ft/lbs. That doesn't compute.

I spit out the coffee i was drinking when I heard that torque number.

Carbon fiber wheels to boot.

MP Cup 2's hardly seem adequate for the acceleration this thing is capable of.
I see center lock wheels but then this is hardly production ready.

Last edited:
I like the new Roadster. Yeah, the roof is a bit lame, but given Tesla's mechanical acrobatics with Model X, I think this one makes sense for Tesla to do this way and it is an OK compromise for the customer as it surely saves weight too. It shows what the 21-70 battery can do - clearly not just a cost-saving exercise.

What I like a bit less is Tesla apparently in the future selling business, as in not just selling us a future today, but selling and billing today for products appearing in the future. At $250k, plus all the rest at $50k, paid three years (given Tesla time 3-5 years) prior to launch that's a financing round - as with EAP/FSD, the ethics of that can get a bit messy fast. The Model X story was already questionable, but with this the reservations are once again in a different ballpark.

I'm sure it will be a successful financing round for Tesla, though. Let's hope they start delivering on their past promises too and not overdraw their "promise debt".

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see if the lack of mirrors and ...downright silly? steering wheel make it to production.
100% in love beyond that :D
Does anyone else think it'll require a transmission in order to hit 250+?

Was really fun to watch the reveal in person tonight, trying to get a closeup look was mayhem!

Last edited:
What I like a bit less is Tesla apparently in the future selling business, as in not just selling us a future today, but selling and billing today for products appearing in the future.

Well if you want to deliver a hardcore smackdown, you have to embrace the theatrical nonsense that goes with the business; put on the ridiculous lycra costume, grab the chair, get in the ring and do it.