Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shocked! Model 3 has no blind spot detection [Update: yes, it does]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like I could write too much on this topic, so I will try to be concise...
  • Tesla's implementation of blind spot detection while an admirable effort, has a lot to be desired. The biggest deficiency is the requirement to look to the forward center of the car for blindspot information
  • IMO the BSD feature is a result of the engineering team having a low priority for this because, per Elon, you won't need it with FSD. I'm pretty sure this is evidenced by how long ago the model 3 was actually designed and the FSD forecast back then
  • Without FSD to solve all of problems we are now nitpicking these shortcomings
  • I find the screen information very good and helpful for lane changes, it's just not where I want to be looking when I'm changing lanes. I think if you try to turn into a car it will both give you audible warnings AND try to stop you, correct?
  • There are reasonable work arounds if waiting for something better or different isn't satisfactory
Personally, I added a frameless mirror to my driver's side mirror and LOVE it. I have actually decided to move my mirror positions away from the recommended standard because of the addition. Let me explain (let me first put on my flame proof suit). The driver's side mirror isn't convex (no "wide" angle). Most are not because they make the cars look farther. So when you position the drivers side mirror properly so that it points to the "blindspot", the very small and aerodynamic mirror only points to a very small and narrow spot. This is really what drove me to add another small mirror. I wanted to see more than this little spot. I wanted to see next to me AND even the lane next to that. While a properly positioned mirror will tell you if someone is in your blindspot, it will NOT tell you if someone is moving from 2 lanes over into your blindspot. It also won't tell you if someone traveling very fast is about to be in your blindspot unless you caught them in your rear view mirror. So now that I've added the wide angle frameless mirror, I am moving my side mirror to no longer point completely at the small blindspot, but rather I'm pulling it in slightly to allow me to see further back and closer to my car (I am leaving a tad of my vehicle side in the frame). But with the addition of the convex mirror I still can identify my blindspot AND cars 2 lanes over. It's perfect and now I feel more confident that I can see the 3 things that scare me :
  1. Blindspot
  2. Fast approaching cars
  3. Cars coming over from 2 lanes away
Here's a picture of the frameless mirror BEFORE I repositioned it
img_20190730_141223-jpg.435912
Where did you get this mirror? Love it.

Exit: never mind, I see you got them from Abstract Ocean.

Last edited:
I would love a blind spot on the mirrors however it doesn’t. The current blind spot monitoring system on the 3 doesnt really make sense for example. I want to turn left. Subconsciously, I’ll look at my left mirror, not turning my head even if slightly to the right wanting to make a left turn.

i have something like that from amazon except I put mine at the outermost corner of both mirrors. Never hurts to have a little extra mirror protection while they work on improving the blind spot chime thingy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZLPABGC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have typically installed the small convex mirrors on the outermost corner too. On the model 3 I noticed that because the mirror is inset so deep in the housing it both limited how far I could actually see AND displayed a lot of housing in the field of view. So I installed in the best place specifically for the model 3 IMO.

Reactions: cybergates
Pretty much every day I drive my Model 3 I wish it had rear RADAR and blind-spot mirrors to accompany it. It’s just not gonna happen, sadly.

Obviously the rear radar is out for our cars but they could improve blind spot monitoring via software updates. Since there seems to be a mix of opinions on how it should work Tesla should make it customizable and more granular so we get beeps/no beeps, red cars/no red cars, etc. For me, I would like it if the display not only turned yellow and red as other cars approach and my blindspot/proximity but it would be cool if they could overlay the speed of those cars in real-time. In fact, there could be a “camera mode” where it will composite all the video from all cameras at the same time and present it to the display. Why not see what the car sees at any given moment?

Again, make these options under driver settings. This is the major differentiator with Tesla. They have the UI presented on a single large display so the possibilities are endless.

That's not what their website says, at least in Canada...see below re: "All Interiors Include". Again, if Tesla were serious about building safe cars for people who choose to drive them themselves, there wouldn't even be a question as to whether this should be a standard feature.

I figured, for laughs, I'd screenshot the website with the date/time (today) for future buyers, because I see that it now shows that the fog lamps and center console/USBs have been moved from the SR+ to the Premium package, with presumably music over Bluetooth (under "all interiors") now the only way to play media in the SR+?

If I had known just how "different" Tesla was from the traditional auto manufacturers, I would have screenshot what I thought I was buying at the time of purchase.

upload_2019-8-29_6-31-15.png

Edited to note: As I went to start a new post so as not to go off-topic here re: the audio system (since I paid several thousand $s to upgrade my SR+ stereo), I realized that the cut-off part of the screenshot above says the following under the SR+

"Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones"
Not sure why they didn't just include that phrase under the "All interiors", but at least they don't seem to be taking away my FLAC files! I'll have to check to see if my fog lights still work though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Octo
Like I mentioned before, I went with Suma Performance Mirrors, love them.. no more issues with blind spots, has to be #1 on my list of accessories. Fred
Thanks @Wennfred!

OEM (top) vs. Suma Performance (bottom). The red, bordered area is the improved field of vision. Can you tell the difference? DM if you have any questions.
www.sumaperformance.com

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 6.05.23 AM.png
and after. Please DM if you have any questions.

Yes, I hav't driven a car with blind spots in YEARS. It is amazing that almost no one knows this. I never meet anyone that has their mirrors adjust correctly and when I tell them they think I'm wrong because they can't see their fenders and can't get used to it.
I figured this out on my own when I first started driving in the '80's and have never understood how people thought being able to see the side of their car was helpful in any way — "I know what my car looks like, I wanna know where everyone else is around me" is what I'd always say when 'mirror alignment' came up as a topic (99.9% of the people who I've shared cars with or have used do it wrong.) I have never had an accident related to blindspots.