Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shocking Quote For Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a quote from a Tesla authorized installer for $47k for one Powerwall ll and 13 REC panels installed :oops:. After choking a bit, the ROI just does not add up. Is this a good quote or are they another solar ripoff.

As a note, I am in New Mexico and apparently Tesla Energy pulled out of the state. I received an email from Tesla Energy asking if I was interested in receiving a quote from an authorized reseller. I said yes, but never heard from anyone. I reached out to a company who claims to be authorized which is who I got the $47k quote.

I am very familiar with off-grid power as I built a custom motorcoach a few years back with an Onan Hybrid power system that was based on a 12kw genset, inverter system and AWG batteries. That was a $12k setup and I sort of was expecting my Solar quote with Powerwall to come in somewhere around $30k or less.

Thanks for any insights.

Bob

Just get more quotes. I got 10+. If everyone comes in at that price in your area, that's probably the price. I tried energysage too. Labor is in short supply as well. Small jobs will probably be marked up since 2 powerwalls is not much more work than 1 powerwall. I'd suggest for anyone getting storage, 1 battery doesn't last long and overpriced (like $18k for 1 battery, $25k for 2).

I guess my thought is that the installer is generally telling you, "Unless you pay us $47k, your job is just not worth our time. Use someone else if you want, we don't care."

Reactions: charlesj and ucmndd
Upvote 0
As @sunwarriors wrote, get lots of quotes, then you have data on what it costs for your home. The fact that there are external factors (tariffs, inflation, labor shortages, etc.) says nothing in particular about your particular job. They may or may not apply, and there may be local concerns such as an absurdly zealous building inspector or restrictive utility.

I also agree with the advice to consider more storage.

Good luck!

BG

Upvote 0
Also consider benefits of not going Tesla. As someone mentioned on another thread, you can't pick your panels with Tesla Solar nor really have much back and forth/design options. You also are forced to use a single inverter that has a 10 year warranty I think. If you want micro-inverters, you simply can't (anymore). There are so many thread on TMC about dead inverters and having to wait MONTHS for a swap.

It's not a fair apples-apples comparison anymore for Tesla Solar is all people should be aware of. Prices have also gone up a lot (< $2 in 2021 I think vs. $2.4+ now?) and all Tesla Solar quotes are higher now.

You can also consider other batteries if you want LFP chemistry, generator hook up with on-grid at the same time, etc. Bottom line is figure out your use case and go from there.

Upvote 0
I agree with getting more quotes. But am curious why Tesla pulled out of the state. It would seem New Mexico has tons of sun, so I assume it was not environmental conditions. Perhaps legislative or power company payback issues?

Power company

Reactions: sunwarriors
Upvote 0
Reactions: aubreymcfato
Upvote 0
Thanks to all. Seems like getting a quote is harder in New Mexico. Given 300+ Days a year of clear sunshine, you would think it would be easier.

Ironically, when I went back to my single quote and asked for them to breakout the hardware from the install fees, they refused. I clearly wanted to amortize the hardware and write down the install, but the refusal was interesting. Stinky. Out of the $47k quote, it looks like the hardware max’s out at $18k leaving the balance of the $47k as install. This is starting to feel like an aluminum house siding scam in Baltimore MD. Haha, The Tin Man.

Looks like I have to expand to include the Genrac and other battery options to get more quotes. I am also expanding to look at a natural gas 25kw generator. Or punt the entire project. New home with underground wiring, so I am now questioning my own intelligence.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all. Seems like getting a quote is harder in New Mexico. Given 300+ Days a year of clear sunshine, you would think it would be easier.

Ironically, when I went back to my single quote and asked for them to breakout the hardware from the install fees, they refused. I clearly wanted to amortize the hardware and write down the install, but the refusal was interesting. Stinky. Out of the $47k quote, it looks like the hardware max’s out at $18k leaving the balance of the $47k as install. This is starting to feel like an aluminum house siding scam in Baltimore MD. Haha, The Tin Man.

Looks like I have to expand to include the Genrac and other battery options to get more quotes. I am also expanding to look at a natural gas 25kw generator. Or punt the entire project. New home with underground wiring, so I am now questioning my own intelligence.
It is not you. It is a very broken process. This is not buying a bag of potato chips.

Read threads here, educate yourself, and get lots of quotes.

Hang in there.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Upvote 0
Upvote 0