Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shoddy quality and poor QC and missing parts..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know many model 3 have poorly aligned parts, and I know first hand how it is.

But today I was casually checking the rear driver side tire pressure I saw missing fastener. I thought its odd, and checked other side, and other side had it.

Then I remember front battery cover being floppy/moving, and removed it check it. Top clips are actually not pressed in. After removing it I see same story missing clip.

So, out of two random casual check, I found two missing fasteners.

On one side I see Musk is boasting that they can check alignment precision with 0.15mm, where as panel gaps/mis-alignments for first time being measured in inches.

Now, how it is missed in the assy, and second how bad QC is to miss the casually visible fasteners to common man?

No my confidence is further dropping on how Model 3 is assembled. I was wondering how many non-visible fasteners are missed, and how many places things are assembled incorrectly!!? I am still shaking my head after 3 weeks...
20180608_140407_MissingClipFront.jpg
20180608_140221_MissingClipFront.jpg
20180608_134955RightRearClip.jpg
20180608_134850_MissingClipLeftRear.jpg
20180608_140407_MissingClipFront.jpg
20180608_140221_MissingClipFront.jpg

Last edited:

But today I was casually checking the rear driver side tire pressure I saw missing fastener. I thought I odd, and checked other side, and other side had it.

Then I remember front battery cover being floppy/moving, and removed it check it. Top clips are actually pressed in. After removing it I see same story missing clip.

On one side I see Musk is boasting that they can check alignment precision with 0.15mm, where as panel gaps/mis-alignments for first time being measured in inches.

Now, how it is missed in the assy, and second how bad QC is to miss the casually visible fasteners to common man?

No my confidence is further dropping on how Model 3 is assembled. I was wondering how many non-visible fasteners are missed, and how many places things are assembled incorrectly!!? I am still shaking my head after 3 weeks...View attachment 307929 View attachment 307930 View attachment 307931 View attachment 307932 View attachment 307929 View attachment 307930
How did you remove that panel? Does it just pop right out or do you need a tool?

Yep, these just press fit clips. There is nothing unusual about using clips, but they missed the clips. When I removed I saw one missing from the cover. I thought may be it did not get released properly and still in the socket. Nope... it is completely missing.

Wheel well liner clip is also completely missing. Not that it is removed later. It could cause some splashed water to intrude into inside of trunk. No wonder one gentleman had water in the bottom well of the trunk. If some one washes, water might get into.

Last edited:
IMO a bit of a drama post, but I see your point. Did you schedule a service call with Tesla to get it fixed?
Really, Drama post?
How many new cars did you buy? and how many have the issue like this? In Total 10 cars I bought so far, how many had issues like model 3?,
Zero... yes that is big zero..

Let me clarify. that does not mean I do not like my car. I like it very much how it drives. But QC is extremely poor, not just for 60k Car, for any car.

My thoughts exactly align with Munro and associates.

About visiting service, I just got it back from service after 7 days, with only 3 things things fixed out 10+ list. Despite it these repairs are schedule more than week ahead, they did not procure any parts that is required for repairs, some they did not bother to attempt, some they did not even bother to read notes. I can not really believe.

While Musk is talking about precision of 0.15mm, service center thinks this is within tolerances.

Attachments

• 20180608_135034.jpg
    20180608_135034.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

But today I was casually checking the rear driver side tire pressure I saw missing fastener. I thought its odd, and checked other side, and other side had it.

Then I remember front battery cover being floppy/moving, and removed it check it. Top clips are actually not pressed in. After removing it I see same story missing clip.

No my confidence is further dropping on how Model 3 is assembled. I was wondering how many non-visible fasteners are missed, and how many places things are assembled incorrectly!!? I am still shaking my head after 3 weeks...View attachment 307929 View attachment 307930 View attachment 307931 View attachment 307932 View attachment 307929 View attachment 307930

OMG!!!!!!!

How many new cars did you buy? and how many have the issue like this?
Maybe 20 or so new vehicles (no Teslas) for me; perhaps 4 or 5 had missing plastic clips somewhere, usually in places where they are redundant. But I rarely went through the cars looking for missing clips so perhaps others also. Occasionally found them on the floor inside also. Sometimes after panels are pulled by service techs a clip disappears. Not a big deal unless functionality is compromised, which I don't see in your case. Get corrected during routine service visit if it bothers you.

Really, Drama post?
How many new cars did you buy? and how many have the issue like this? In Total 10 cars I bought so far, how many had issues like model 3?,
Zero... yes that is big zero..

Let me clarify. that does not mean I do not like my car. I like it very much how it drives. But QC is extremely poor, not just for 60k Car, for any car.

My thoughts exactly align with Munro and associates.

About visiting service, I just got it back from service after 7 days, with only 3 things things fixed out 10+ list. Despite it these repairs are schedule more than week ahead, they did not procure any parts that is required for repairs, some they did not bother to attempt, some they did not even bother to read notes. I can not really believe.

While Musk is talking about precision of 0.15mm, service center thinks this is within tolerances.
I appreciate you pointing out the issues. Seems like my car is missing the fastener too.

8shVtlq6-ajN4EEFgfZCR1Lt3eAuN1-omx1pE7PmkdqPB1dK_S0ACSlPR_NfMIvJ9ZsGP3XZj-QPnQwPZL1jMks36ke5DgXD0f6W7sXIy5YYKwpSjUZGmA8OGFImAp4QBIUtEFH8PG82vhPlvd8jbNb9_BpN9lYZZfR2FlrCzRu-EVZyes4amPNh10_q7yVx36Ip6hNK3xI_6pV0YkDllPKIM4EmMWcl1CQixS11Vj5U0yVmIftj3KClGEbMmE62Eb_r6Mc72iXmSmFEVwRr7XDMilfNeKpyplGncvNAZqQI7wrwsr-VXS51Vv40Z01ei4DWNDUk4dDi9SIMarIIhGG_nhW0Au6SapZmXepp2Kd_7SrhzN1xpjWkHXUhwxw7amHfCDM1TPgiJnomZlOfbYUraBIT9eXwVcqtbbkr4awmjBbPTMQAlZ5qDsyvwUXkUYKNS5xzMQq4-DnXcrK2ghW_pExdHbtHeOT1l3FXfnmxbbRz2uO9JEX6EDFqQktNJcImlkeAXVAPIKv_rju32L6sjhzeyzJfknP3AiFjOOZ7fR54h67AAgdl8-GJGR-tILlSYRMZFOk6UDTxZWRCqXua0yYFo-PzDE1fQMGI=w1632-h918-no

Reactions: Teslie
Maybe 20 or so new vehicles (no Teslas) for me; perhaps 4 or 5 had missing plastic clips somewhere, usually in places where they are redundant. But I rarely went through the cars looking for missing clips so perhaps others also. Occasionally found them on the floor inside also. Sometimes after panels are pulled by service techs a clip disappears. Not a big deal unless functionality is compromised, which I don't see in your case. Get corrected during routine service visit if it bothers you.

I guess you bought 1 every year. I do not change cars that often.

Remember, these I was not even looking for it. After coming back from service, each tire has different pressure, rear one esp had 45, others had 44 and 43. So I thought I would adjust all to 43 (door jamb says 42). Just casual look I can see the missing clip.

Something inside for trim is one thing, this rear one in the wheel well and hole is thru. Means any water on rainy day or when someone washes water goes inside. So far I have not driving in rain and I specifically instructed them to not wash the car after the service also.

So, two out of two turned out missing something. So what does the stats say based on sample size?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: N5329K
It's missing on both sides so I'm missing 6 if it makes you feel any better. Is this something that I need to get them to fix urgently?

I would say get it fixed asap esp if you are driving in rain or if you intend to wash. Those holes are also in metal and other side is trunk carpeting. So water can intrude inside the trunk. These are common clips, if service center is faraway, most common dealer carry similar clips you can put them yourself.

It is not expensive item or it is not safety item, but my point was, these are easily visible esp before wheels are mounted (which are mounted last) and how did they miss it?

Actually thinking about it, subwoofer is right behind back end clip hole there. So, may be not good idea to wait too long.

I would say get it fixed asap esp if you are driving in rain or if you intend to wash. Those holes are also in metal and other side is trunk carpeting. So water can intrude inside the trunk. These are common clips, if service center is faraway, most common dealer carry similar clips you can put them yourself.

It is not expensive item or it is not safety item, but my point was, these are easily visible esp before wheels are mounted (which are mounted last) and how did they miss it?

Actually thinking about it, subwoofer is right behind back end clip hole there. So, may be not good idea to wait too long.
It's not raining any time soon and I don't plan on getting it washed for a while. I did contact them to set up a service appointment. .