TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Shoot -- my brand new model 3 doesn't have enough ground clearance!

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by markusg, Nov 30, 2019.

1. markusg

markusg Member

Just picked up my brand new Model 3 stealth performance today. Fun! My garage is a tight fit, and one thing I hadn't considered is ground clearance. My assumption was that the car would be fine without the performance suspension. I suppose I was wrong. Any suggestions on how to raise the car an inch or two, or should I start the return process?

Thanks!

2. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

#2 SMAlset, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    By clearance do you mean your driveway is on a slope up to the garage? There’s a thread I just read in this section on suggestions for this situation.

Found the thread I was thinking of but on the Model S forum. But still hopefully will give you some ideas.
    MS scraping garage entrance - need advice

Congrats on car! Let’s see if you can keep it garaged now :)

3. markusg

markusg Member

#3 markusg, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Similar situation -- the car has no issues backing into the driveway, but I suppose the wheel base is long enough that it ends up bottoming out as I start down the decline into the garage. The front wheels are slightly lower going up an incline and the back wheels are going down a steep incline into my garage if that makes sense. I'm considering the Mountain Pass lift kit.

I guess to be more technically correct, I failed to calculate this :) Breakover angle - Wikipedia

4. Occhis

Occhis Member

I really like the cactus mat idea. Think I might have seen a similar item at Costco

• Like x 1
  5. dmd2005

dmd2005 Active Member

MPP 1.75″ Suspension Lift Kit

You can put all-terrain tires on at the same time and you’ll have the first serious offroad Model 3. Kidding aside, the Black Friday sale of 10% off with coupon code IENJOYSHARPEDGES ends Dec 1st at midnight EST. Good time to order a set now since MPP stuff rarely goes on sale.

You can also try 255/45/18 tires on your stock 18” rims. That will give you about 1/3” in height without lifting the body with the MPP kit.

• Like x 1
  6. markusg

markusg Member

I suppose my timing is right... nothing like getting home with your brand new car and realizing you can't get it in your garage to charge! Now I just need to find something to install these... seems over my head.

7. markusg

markusg Member

Random question -- the M3P- or stealth isn't any lower than your typical M3 correct? What about new tires or wheels? Are those options?

8. dmd2005

dmd2005 Active Member

I mentioned maybe using 255/35/18 tires. Stock tires are 26.3” tall and the 255/35/18 will be 27” tall, so you’ll gain about 0.35” of clearance. The stealth is the same height as other Model 3’s except the performance 3 which is lower by about 20mm or 3/4”.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  9. markusg

markusg Member

I don't think that'll be enough, sadly. I imagine bigger diameter wheels do not equal more clearance due to slimmer tires?

10. MasterC17

MasterC17 Member

It's the overall tire diameter that is relevant. You could have bigger wheels and smaller overall diameter, or vice versa.

Where are you located? Shouldn't be hard to find a shop to install the lift kit.

Alternatively, you could use wooden boards (which is what I did). Cheap and easy to install.

11. dduffey

dduffey Member

Are you scraping the center bottom or front/back bumper?

My driveway will high center if I don't approach the peak at a 45 degree angle. Approaching at an angle will have one front tire and one rear tire at the peak at the same time providing enough clearance, in my case.

12. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had his driveway ground down and part repoured. Has had problems with sedans since moving in - finally tired of the required SUV.

13. 67King

67King Member

Try to drive over the high point at as much of an angle as possible, so that rather than having both front wheels go over at the same time, then both rears, you'll have front right, front left, rear right, rear left.

• Like x 1
  14. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Active Member

Lumber is cheap. Been there.

• Like x 2
  15. markusg

markusg Member

Center. Sadly, I can’t approach at an angle. It’s a super narrow San Francisco driveway with retaining walls on both sides.

• Informative x 1
  16. markusg

markusg Member

I ordered the MPP lift kit, but that doesn't come in until the end of December. In the meantime, some pressure treated plywood did the trick. :)

IMG_3270.JPG IMG_3271 (1).JPG

• Like x 11
    • Informative x 1
  17. DrtyJrze

DrtyJrze Member

Sheesh, I’m getting anxiety just looking at your pics.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  18. markusg

markusg Member

Me too. :eek:

19. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Glad you got it in the garage to charge. Thanks for the photos. We have the opposite situation where our driveway goes up to the garage. My husband’s MS has air suspension however. Our town also loves speed bumps so SAS with geofencing was nice to have. If I’m remembering correctly the Los Gatos SC location thread mentions the access there has some tough angles with scraped pavement.

• Like x 1
  20. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

That house is $1.5 Million in SF. (maybe more)