Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shopping cart hit and walk-caught on Sentry cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I will agree with most: not gonna get anything from Costco... I would however go after the lady if at all possible. Yes she didn't *intend* to damage your car, but her negligence directly lead to the damage. Whether it's worth it or not to pursue, I have no idea, but if it was me, I'd be livid and at least put in some effort to track her down.

As an interesting aside to this conversation: people's strategies RE: where to park. I agree that I also avoid the cart corrals, but I questioned my own behaviour a few weeks ago. Was also at costco, and I noticed SO MANY carts pulled up with two wheels on a sidewalk far away from the cart corals. Made me think: if you parked close to a cart return, anyone close to the return is just going to put the cart in the corral, not leave it to drift into your car. Parking further away from the cart corrals might make it more likely that someone is going to be lazy and leave their cart near your car where it can ding it. Thoughts?

Having said that, I still park far away from the cart storage. My general strategy is to find a spot that is next to a curb or sidewalk, and squish my car as close to said curb/sidewalk on the one side, that way people would have lots of space to open their doors and not ding my car on the other side where it is "exposed". On the bright side, once you've gotten a "ding" it might make you a bit less paranoid... my previous car got s ding pretty early in its life, and subsequently had MANY more (damn student parking lots!). After the first one or two, I stopped being so paranoid about where I parked, and would just pick any spot that fit... but of course that was a Mazda 3, and this is a Model 3... slightly different price range/quality. I'd be pretty miffed if (when?? I hope it's not a when!) I get a ding.

Thanks for the reply.

We’ll see if Costco pays to repair the car. I’m not trying to scam them. Have better things to do.

My garage is dark and I didn’t feel like having a photo shoot in there at midnight so I didn’t take pics. But, I do know my way around editing equipment so it’s easier (and more fun) for me to cut a video, which I did. I’ll post pics later today in between kid stops.

Thanks again for your reply.

You’re wasting your time with Costco. No doubt about that.

First off, I am sorry to see the damage to your Model 3.

Secondly, nice editing/annotation of the video and the relaxing background music.

Back to the video. I have little doubt that the lady's cart hit your M3. However, your video doesn't actually show that the cart that hit your car was the cart that she left around. I am not sure if the police or the lady's insurance company would admit the video as proof that she's responsible for your damage given that it doesn't show that crucial connection. Perhaps you have other footage/angle that shows the missing link?

Anyway, I sincerely hope that your car gets fixed to your satisfaction and the culprit is paying for the fix.

Unfortunate.

The Costco employee was lazy, he should have just taken her cart, but he and the store are not liable.

The lady is a lazy fool. She knows there's a cart corral nearby, but she's asking because she's lazy and wants the employee to take her cart. He doesn't, so she does the lazy thing and leaves the cart loose, ready to roll away. If anything she should have tipped it up, so that the front wheels were hanging over the edge of the curb, so that the cart wouldn't roll. If you could ID her, you could get her insurance to pay, however, good luck with that license plate.

Try PDR, it may not be too much, though we haven't seen the dent. I don't blame the driver, since he was on the other side of the cart corral. I think most of us would believe that's on the safe side of the cart corral, not realizing some people are so lazy, they leave their carts on the other side of a median. It's like those trash bins where the garbage is all around the bin and none inside! People are just too lazy.

FWIW, I park as far away from the entrance as practicable, and always on the uphill side. I don't know about you, but where I live all the parking lots are sloped, so runaway carts are quite common! If you see random carts around a spot, don't park there, that's where the lowest entropy dictates all random loose carts end up.

First off, I am sorry to see the damage to your Model 3.

Secondly, nice editing/annotation of the video and the relaxing background music.

Back to the video. I have little doubt that the lady's cart hit your M3. However, your video doesn't actually show that the cart that hit your car was the cart that she left around. I am not sure if the police or the lady's insurance company would admit the video as proof that she's responsible for your damage given that it doesn't show that crucial connection. Perhaps you have other footage/angle that shows the missing link?

Anyway, I sincerely hope that your car gets fixed to your satisfaction and the culprit is paying for the fix.

I agree. If I were representing the woman in court I’d argue there’s no proof her cart hit your car. Law is funny that way.

Bottom line is that as much as it sucks, the OP needs to just suck it up and get the car PDR’ed. We still haven’t seen any pics of the damage but if it can be PDR’ed it’ll be fixed in an hour.

FWIW, I park as far away from the entrance as practicable, and always on the uphill side. I don't know about you, but where I live all the parking lots are sloped, so runaway carts are quite common! If you see random carts around a spot, don't park there, that's where the lowest entropy dictates all random loose carts end up.

Well said - great advice on parking on the uphill side.

Unfortunate.

The Costco employee was lazy, he should have just taken her cart, but he and the store are not liable.

The lady is a lazy fool. She knows there's a cart corral nearby, but she's asking because she's lazy and wants the employee to take her cart. He doesn't, so she does the lazy thing and leaves the cart loose, ready to roll away. If anything she should have tipped it up, so that the front wheels were hanging over the edge of the curb, so that the cart wouldn't roll. If you could ID her, you could get her insurance to pay, however, good luck with that license plate.

Try PDR, it may not be too much, though we haven't seen the dent. I don't blame the driver, since he was on the other side of the cart corral. I think most of us would believe that's on the safe side of the cart corral, not realizing some people are so lazy, they leave their carts on the other side of a median. It's like those trash bins where the garbage is all around the bin and none inside! People are just too lazy.

Yep never park downhill in a store parking lot that uses shopping carts. Tesla parking 101. Lesson learned.

Geez. I disagree with most in here.

There is zero downside to approaching Costco on this. It’s your time and effort that is lost. Definitely give it a try.

As for paintless dent removal, yes it works, but please know this.

Many times they MUST drill holes in your car! That is the only way to get to the inside of the panel. They use long rods with different spoon ends to massage out the dents and these won’t reach much of the time unless they add an access hole. Don’t let them touch your car until you know exactly how they are going to remove the dent. Ask about access and whether they will need to drill your panel. Require that they do full interior panel removal to get to the dent and don’t allow them to do any drilling.

So what crime has been committed here, negligent parking of a shopping cart? Clearly there was no intent to hit the car

Yes curious as to how costco would be responsible. Employee told her where to put it. Unless theres some policy requiring him to take the cart to the corral himself
The question in my mind is, why the employee didn't just take the cart and put it with those he was pushing? I've had plenty of cart retrieving employees that were passing me with a bunch of carts just grab mine as they past, once I had emptied it.

There is zero downside to approaching Costco on this. It’s your time and effort that is lost. Definitely give it a try.

Many times they MUST drill holes in your car! That is the only way to get to the inside of the panel. They use long rods with different spoon ends to massage out the dents and these won’t reach much of the time unless they add an access hole. Don’t let them touch your car until you know exactly how they are going to remove the dent. Ask about access and whether they will need to drill your panel. Require that they do full interior panel removal to get to the dent and don’t allow them to do any drilling.

Looks like it hit the door given the video is from the camera on the front quarter panel.

They go through the window channel on door dents which doesn’t require drilling or panel removal.

I always feel sorry for retail employees when I see posts like this. The lady is responsible for not securing her cart not the employee already pushing carts. He told her where to push it and I'm sure Costco will tell you where to shove it. If the damage bothers you, just go get the dent fixed at a body shop and see if Costco can assist in ID'ing the lady who hit your car. They definitely want to protect their customers, but asking for monetary compensation for an at risk parking lot is going to get walls put up.

Edit: On second thought, as scummy as this would be, she probably could claim it wasn't her cart that hit you since the frame doesn't show what cart ultimately rolled back. Sucky situation though for sure.

Last edited:

Yeah, I agree. Why shouldn't I try to get Costco to cover it? It's worth a shot. Will prob drop in there to speak with the manager in the next week or so.

Thank you for the heads up on the dent removal holes. That's good to know.

1. Guarantee that's a 100$ PDR fix.

2. Not Costco's responsibility.

3. She is disgusting, and when pulling away she should have (and probably did see) it hit your car.

Shame on her.

That said, I don't see why the US stores don't implement the easiest of all fixes: coin-op carts. Very easy way to correct people's behaviors. 25 cents is low threshold for people to get access to the cart, but high enough that they won't leave the carts stray. In Europe you will rarely see stray carts because of this (and not because people are inherently more civil or anything)

Actually they are out there. I was in a shopping center in Gilroy, CA had this. It was near the Smart and Final “warehouse” type store but I think was actually part of the nearby 99 Cent Store. Somehow I found that funny having to “rent” a shopping cart to shop in a store. Have to say that was the only place I recall seeing this. Most other places have carts that lock their wheels and can’t be taken out of the store.

Yep never park downhill in a store parking lot that uses shopping carts. Tesla parking 101. Lesson learned.

At first I thought this might be an older thread I saw on TMC about a shopping cart that came an amazing distance away and down slope and hit this guy’s Tesla. It looked like it also came out of or near a cart corral. It was the weirdest accident I had seen. Literally look like it came out of nowhere and was just stupid bad luck for the owner. He was parked no where near any cart corral but down hill.

Here’s his thread with the video. Pretty wild.

Runaway Shopping Cart

OP, sorry no I don’t think Costco will accept any responsibility for this or should. People have had their cars broken into at Costco and they don’t accept liability. Their employee didn’t shove the cart into your car.

Last edited: