Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shopping cart hit and walk-caught on Sentry cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some idiot scratched paint off my Tesla M3 in a parking lot because I was parked on an end part, where cars make right turns. He drove a large pick up truck, so he barely had space, and clipped my car. He was honest enough to stay, kept saying stuff about he believed in karma and wanted to do me right.

He promised to pay me back, but then he said he hit financial hardship, and needed more time Then he only paid half of it back in a Target gift card. Then when I asked for the other half, I even offered anything he had of value. He kept pushing for more time, stalling, and eventually said "we're done doing business" and blocked me. For someone who acted like a saint for wanting to do the right thing, then bailing, I dunno why he didn't take off in the first place. It seemed he wanted to do do me right, but didn't wanna pay for it, so he blocked me.

Its whatever though, he has bad credit card debt and envies me for driving a Tesla Model 3 even though they're like everywhere. Like he says he wishes he was rich enough to buy a Tesla. I wonder how he envies people when he sees Lamborghinis.

Went down and spoke with Costco today. The manager had a look at the car, the video and had me fill out an incident report. I should hear back from them in 48 hours. A couple items of note.

1. I didn't see any signs saying that Costco is not responsible for damage or theft to cars.
2. The manager said that the cart person is allowed to push 25 carts max. He's pushing 14 in the video which means he could have (should have imo) stopped and took her cart. That's his job.
3. After doing a little research, it looks like these cases are not cut and dry. But, if the store exhibited negligent behavior that led to the incident, then the store can be held liable. To me, the cart attendant NOT taking the cart from the lady is negligence. Because he didn't grab the cart and add it to the carts he was already pushing, the cart was then left in the lot and rolled into my car. Here's some info I found on the topic. A Shopping Cart Hit Your Car — Is the Store Liable? Here's a quote from that post: (my emphasis) "The law generally sees that a store has a duty to protect people and their cars in its parking lot from harm. After all, shopping cart dents and dings likely happen often enough for them to be foreseeable. However, reasonable safety measures, such as having conveniently placed cart corrals and attendants who pick up the carts, in most cases, will fulfill the store’s duty to protect.

Therefore, in most cases, unless there is proof such as video evidence showing an employee who’s supposed to be controlling carts being negligent, stores generally won’t be held liable for damages caused by carts."

Also, here are pics of the dent. As I originally mentioned, it's quite small. But, it wasn't there at all before going to Costco and someone will have to pay to have this fixed at some point.

As Tesla owners who visit a Tesla blog to read about Teslas, most of us are Tesla nuts and love our cars. I'm sharing all this info so if it happens to someone in the future (which I promise you, it will,) they will have an idea of a possible outcome should they ask the store to cover the damage. I must admit I was quite surprised to hear the overwhelming majority of Tesla owners on here saying that the store has 0 liability in this situation. As I stated before, I'm not sure if they'll cover anything but it's definitely worth a try. I'll be sure to post an update. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1249.JPG
    IMG_1249.JPG
    441 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_8201.JPG
    IMG_8201.JPG
    425.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_8899.JPG
    IMG_8899.JPG
    559.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_9555.JPG
    IMG_9555.JPG
    455.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC
Some idiot scratched paint off my Tesla M3 in a parking lot because I was parked on an end part, where cars make right turns. He drove a large pick up truck, so he barely had space, and clipped my car. He was honest enough to stay, kept saying stuff about he believed in karma and wanted to do me right.

He promised to pay me back, but then he said he hit financial hardship, and needed more time Then he only paid half of it back in a Target gift card. Then when I asked for the other half, I even offered anything he had of value. He kept pushing for more time, stalling, and eventually said "we're done doing business" and blocked me. For someone who acted like a saint for wanting to do the right thing, then bailing, I dunno why he didn't take off in the first place. It seemed he wanted to do do me right, but didn't wanna pay for it, so he blocked me.

Its whatever though, he has bad credit card debt and envies me for driving a Tesla Model 3 even though they're like everywhere. Like he says he wishes he was rich enough to buy a Tesla. I wonder how he envies people when he sees Lamborghinis.

Well, it's time to put that karma into action and sue him in small claims court just for the principle.

Sorry this happened to you. What I do? Look at the parking lot and park as far away as I can from everyone and everything else. What inevitably happens? Someone still parks right next to me! Agree with looking into paintless dent repair.

You could park your car far away, in an empty spot by itself, and some wreckless driver doing drifts in the parking lot hits your car.

I tried parking far from another car b/c my parents keep egging me to do that when I can. To end up getting scratched by a turning car. I guess you either have to choose getting dinged or paint scratched from another car. At the end of the day, who cares, only the car owner is going to care about any imperfection on their car.

David Dobrick jumped his Tesla Model X on a hill. I'm sure he got a scratch somewhere, but he def got views. And some other Model X owner has a car in mint condition with no scratch but no one on social media cares.

Went down and spoke with Costco today. The manager had a look at the car, the video and had me fill out an incident report. I should hear back from them in 48 hours. A couple items of note.

1. I didn't see any signs saying that Costco is not responsible for damage or theft to cars.
2. The manager said that the cart person is allowed to push 25 carts max. He's pushing 14 in the video which means he could have (should have imo) stopped and took her cart. That's his job.
3. After doing a little research, it looks like these cases are not cut and dry. But, if the store exhibited negligent behavior that led to the incident, then the store can be held liable. To me, the cart attendant NOT taking the cart from the lady is negligence. Because he didn't grab the cart and add it to the carts he was already pushing, the cart was then left in the lot and rolled into my car. Here's some info I found on the topic. A Shopping Cart Hit Your Car — Is the Store Liable? Here's a quote from that post: (my emphasis) "The law generally sees that a store has a duty to protect people and their cars in its parking lot from harm. After all, shopping cart dents and dings likely happen often enough for them to be foreseeable. However, reasonable safety measures, such as having conveniently placed cart corrals and attendants who pick up the carts, in most cases, will fulfill the store’s duty to protect.

Therefore, in most cases, unless there is proof such as video evidence showing an employee who’s supposed to be controlling carts being negligent, stores generally won’t be held liable for damages caused by carts."

Also, here are pics of the dent. As I originally mentioned, it's quite small. But, it wasn't there at all before going to Costco and someone will have to pay to have this fixed at some point.

As Tesla owners who visit a Tesla blog to read about Teslas, most of us are Tesla nuts and love our cars. I'm sharing all this info so if it happens to someone in the future (which I promise you, it will,) they will have an idea of a possible outcome should they ask the store to cover the damage. I must admit I was quite surprised to hear the overwhelming majority of Tesla owners on here saying that the store has 0 liability in this situation. As I stated before, I'm not sure if they'll cover anything but it's definitely worth a try. I'll be sure to post an update. Thanks!
Love the pics. Very artistic how the dings are right on the reflected white painted lines. Makes it stand out clearly. Hope you get Costco to pony up.

Reactions: wolfwill23
An update on this - I filed an incident report with Costco and was told I'd be reached by the company that handles their parking lot claims in 2-3 days. They finally reached out about a week and a half later. The rep was nice and ask me what happened. I told her my side of things and then mentioned the video. She asked me to forward it to her which I did. I'm now waiting to hear back once they see the video. I will continue to keep you posted as I hope my experience can help other Tesla owners in the future. Thanks!