Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shopping for an ICE for my wife...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the west coast, you don't need a back up ICE car so I'd say it might be a regional or comfort thing. If you've ever seen a Costco gas station on the west coast... I mean the hell? That's the Garden Grove location. I go to the Fountain Valley location and the lines wrap all the way around the complex. The line must be like a mile long. It's insanity.

rih5v80pbd681.jpg
I am in LI, NY and the lines are longer, they go out to the street and then you will see this part once you get inside that area.

It was a free-ing moment when I realized that instead of trying to chase a fantasy EV pickup that can do what my diesel truck does now, that instead I'd buy a fun to drive EV car for running around and charging strictly at home AND keep the old diesel truck for many more years as my hard work/ hauling/ road trip vehicle.

Once I got out of my mindset that I needed to be a 2 car family and accepted that 2 EVs & 1 old ICE is better for me, and I already owned the perfect ICE for just such a job, I was free to make better auto decisions for my family.

The BMW X5 45e. Costs less than the MY and you get air suspension.

Btw, is your quote about financial advisors? Bogleheads?

The x45e sounds amazing. If I went back to one car again I'd definitely consider a PHEV like the BMW.

I ditched my RAV4 Prime for a Kia Telluride. I needed the size and in reality.. if I'm only driving one car it might as well be a full EV during the week (primary commuter car) and for road trips get a large SUV or truck (secondary car) for extra cargo or for hauling stuff or for road trips.

With the Prime, I didn't enjoy long road trips with it (buzzy 4-cylinder engine and wind noise) but the Telluride with the V6 is quiet and smooth. The safety systems and visibility are amazing too.

The x45e sounds amazing. If I went back to one car again I'd definitely consider a PHEV like the BMW.

I ditched my RAV4 Prime for a Kia Telluride. I needed the size and in reality.. if I'm only driving one car it might as well be a full EV during the week (primary commuter car) and for road trips get a large SUV or truck (secondary car) for extra cargo or for hauling stuff or for road trips.

With the Prime, I didn't enjoy long road trips with it (buzzy 4-cylinder engine and wind noise) but the Telluride with the V6 is quiet and smooth. The safety systems and visibility are amazing too.
our fam is ditching the Telluride for the MYP and will have an ICE backup. Also going from a three car family to a two car family. I walk to work. She drives 5 miles and kids take public transit to school. 90% of the time, our family of 5 is not in the vehicle together, so losing the third row in the Telly won’t be too big of an issue. And, we can sell the Telly now for what we paid out the door a year ago, and we overpaid! Definitely a strange and changing time in the auto industry right now!

My wife has taken over my Y but I was out in the Y today and she was forced to drive her old Lexus that she’s loved for 17 years and never wanted to upgrade. Well, she calls me and asks when I’m getting home because her car is just “so difficult to drive now”.

She is totally onboard with us getting another Tesla and being a solely EV household. Neither of us like driving ICEs anymore, not even my previous flagship luxury ICE cars. They just don’t compare to our previous Model S and now Model Y.

My wife has taken over my Y but I was out in the Y today and she was forced to drive her old Lexus that she’s loved for 17 years and never wanted to upgrade. Well, she calls me and asks when I’m getting home because her car is just “so difficult to drive now”.

She is totally onboard with us getting another Tesla and being a solely EV household. Neither of us like driving ICEs anymore, not even my previous flagship luxury ICE cars. They just don’t compare to our previous Model S and now Model Y.
I hear you. Just yesterday, we added a Model Y to our Model 3, and I don't need to drive a 16 mpg outdated SUV to work anymore.

our fam is ditching the Telluride for the MYP and will have an ICE backup. Also going from a three car family to a two car family. I walk to work. She drives 5 miles and kids take public transit to school. 90% of the time, our family of 5 is not in the vehicle together, so losing the third row in the Telly won’t be too big of an issue. And, we can sell the Telly now for what we paid out the door a year ago, and we overpaid! Definitely a strange and changing time in the auto industry right now!

Weird time indeed. If you don’t need three rows then most EVs work great. Having one EV is a must IMO :)

Well we bought a ’22 Telluride to replace an ‘04 Honda Odyssey. I have a model S. With Tesla’s current policy of service contact only through an app, no live people to call, there’s no way in hell I’m going to make my family totally dependent on Tesla for our vehicle transportation needs.

I had two service appointments scheduled, one by a ranger then one at a service center. The ranger never showed up. I found out at the service center that the ranger could not do the job so that’s probably why the appt was changed. No one let me know, though, and the app seemingly can only track one upcoming appointment. So there was a service no show, no way to check on it on the app, and no way to contact Tesla about it. The service center took care of both jobs so in the end there was no harm done, except waiting for the no show ranger, and some frustration with being unable to check.

So we needed a new vehicle. It’s an ICE. It can get fuel anywhere. And if it needs service there are actual people I can call. It even has a traffic aware cruise control and it self steers on divided highways with the cruise control active, which is about as well as my Tesla does with it’s “full self driving”.

I absolutely love my Tesla. The company not so much.

Reactions: bobbyjae
Well we bought a ’22 Telluride to replace an ‘04 Honda Odyssey. I have a model S. With Tesla’s current policy of service contact only through an app, no live people to call, there’s no way in hell I’m going to make my family totally dependent on Tesla for our vehicle transportation needs.

I had two service appointments scheduled, one by a ranger then one at a service center. The ranger never showed up. I found out at the service center that the ranger could not do the job so that’s probably why the appt was changed. No one let me know, though, and the app seemingly can only track one upcoming appointment. So there was a service no show, no way to check on it on the app, and no way to contact Tesla about it. The service center took care of both jobs so in the end there was no harm done, except waiting for the no show ranger, and some frustration with being unable to check.

So we needed a new vehicle. It’s an ICE. It can get fuel anywhere. And if it needs service there are actual people I can call. It even has a traffic aware cruise control and it self steers on divided highways with the cruise control active, which is about as well as my Tesla does with it’s “full self driving”.

I absolutely love my Tesla. The company not so much.
+1. I don't understand why people get all excited owning multiple Teslas. It's quite limiting at this stage.

Reactions: Suns_PSD and D.E.