Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shopping for an M3 LR, which year is the smart buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, new member here currently shopping for my very first Tesla. Had a chance to rent one from Hertz (they gave me a performance) and had a blast.

My budget is around $40k and looking to get the most "car" for the money so I've been looking around FB marketplace trying to price out the various one owner M3LR years for lowish (30k) mile samples. Would prefer to pay cash to avoid sales tax and all the other fees the dealers tack on.

Car 1: 2019 M3 LR AWD $33k
Car 2: 2020 M3 LR AWD $35.8k (from Tesla used site so add sales tax, lets say $39k OTD)
Car 3: 2021 M3 LR AWD $37-39k w/ Atom CPU - I think this has the 350+ mile battery?
Car 4: 2022 M3 LR - Might take a minor miracle to get this one at $40k, is it worth slightly stretching?

For the sake of argument, let's say these are equally specced cars: Is there sufficient justification to spend the extra $6k on the 2021-2022 models? Do you think there's a sweet spot between this price range? Which of these cars would you pick?

Also had a few questions:
- Does the newer heat pump perform worse in very hot weather? It gets super hot (110f+) where I live. I'm not too worried about heating performance but would prefer the strongest AC possible.
- Which year did Tesla switch to dual pane glass? The quietest interior possible is a big plus!
- Probably a silly question but would it be better to just wait out the new M3 at this point?

Thanks!

Get the 2022 if you can. It will likely have the Ryzen chipset and heat pump. I am in Texas and very hot. Already in 90's F here. Heat pump worksvvery well to keep car cool and is energy efficient.

A lot of upgrades last few years. Quieter windows are a big plus. Keep in mind newer will have longer warranties and likely less battery degradation. Ryzen makes UI more responsive. Newer cars have better antenna placement for Wifi. Also aftermarket carplay seems to work better in them. Overall worth the stretch.

You have to be careful about that. They don't always do that, but often do. It is typically added to the older cars, which were slower to begin with. So while a nice add, they will be a bit slower. So if you see a M3 LR with a 3.9 0-60 time, that is an older, slower one with boost. If you see 3.2 for 0-60, that is the older, slower M3P. The new M3 LR is 4.2 stock 0-60 (or about 3.7 boosted) and the newer M3P is 3.1 0-60.

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline and Bouba
Thanks for the inputs. I think I'm leaning towards a 2022 at this point since it has the Ryzen CPU and significantly longer range.

Now to find one for 40k :).
Where are you finding the information that a 2022 M3LR has significantly longer range ?...do you mean that the older cars have some battery degradation...or there is a better battery in the 2022 model?

Thanks for the inputs. I think I'm leaning towards a 2022 at this point since it has the Ryzen CPU and significantly longer range.

Now to find one for 40k :).
I can help you with that. It helped me find my Plaid.

Set up an Autotempest search AutoTempest.com: All the cars. One search. to be a search site aggregator. To that add one of the sites that search factory inventory of your choice such as ev-cpo.com .

The Autotempest will search based on your specs across a bunch of sites like Searchtempest.com would but for cars. Set the upper price limit higher than the 45k and be prepared to negotiate. I'd set the upper boundary at 44k and try and negotiate down.

Here is a sample search. I found several 2022's under 45k nationwide. Just be patient, stuff will show up. It took a few days to refine my search but I found something close enough to my price and then negotiated. I had a trade which made it a bit more challenging. Search is for 2022 only, long range, up to 30k miles. Below is a car I found in Inglewood, CA and close to your price ($40,995).

First, if you can afford to "pay cash" for a Tesla, you can afford to be a contributing member of society by paying taxes as the law requires.

Second, there's no way to buy a car in CA (or other states?) without paying sales tax, no matter who you buy it from or how you pay.

Third, if you qualify for the $3750 federal tax credit and the $2000 CA credit, a brand new 3LR starts at $43K and on day 2 it'll be worth $15K more than one with 30K miles.

But to answer your question, laminated front windows, heat pump, black trim, and the non-combative center console were all introduced in 2021 with another notable update of Ryzen and Li 12V in 2022. Some features have been removed since mid-2021 but the newer models are almost always better overall. The "unicorn" that @KN0607 describes, for example, cost $60K with ugly wheels and no passenger lumbar support, so it's not like it was some amazing once-in-a-lifetime miracle car that you missed out on. The heat pump does a better job of everything, including cooling, and Teslas are fantastic in hot (or cold) weather for many reasons.

The first major update to the Model 3, "Project Highland", will probably begin delivering in October as a 2024 model to those who place orders in August-September and will probably be a little more expensive but will have a higher resale value.

Reactions: JRitt and RoBoRaT
Hello, new member here currently shopping for my very first Tesla. Had a chance to rent one from Hertz (they gave me a performance) and had a blast.

My budget is around $40k and looking to get the most "car" for the money so I've been looking around FB marketplace trying to price out the various one owner M3LR years for lowish (30k) mile samples. Would prefer to pay cash to avoid sales tax and all the other fees the dealers tack on.

Car 1: 2019 M3 LR AWD $33k
Car 2: 2020 M3 LR AWD $35.8k (from Tesla used site so add sales tax, lets say $39k OTD)
Car 3: 2021 M3 LR AWD $37-39k w/ Atom CPU - I think this has the 350+ mile battery?
Car 4: 2022 M3 LR - Might take a minor miracle to get this one at $40k, is it worth slightly stretching?

For the sake of argument, let's say these are equally specced cars: Is there sufficient justification to spend the extra $6k on the 2021-2022 models? Do you think there's a sweet spot between this price range? Which of these cars would you pick?

Also had a few questions:
- Does the newer heat pump perform worse in very hot weather? It gets super hot (110f+) where I live. I'm not too worried about heating performance but would prefer the strongest AC possible.
- Which year did Tesla switch to dual pane glass? The quietest interior possible is a big plus!
- Probably a silly question but would it be better to just wait out the new M3 at this point?

Thanks!
Consider new 2023 M3 LR AWD ($47240) vs used 2022 M3 LR AWD ($42000), with the following assumptions:

1. You qualify for Federal Tax Credit: $3750
2. You qualify for CA CVRP of: a. Base Rebate: $2000 or b. Increased Rebate: $7500
3. You buy and register in California.

New 2023 M3 LR AWD - Bottom Line: $42,530 or $48,030

$47240+$1390+$250+$4200 sales tax+$700 title/registration = $53780
$53780 - $11250 (Fed Tax Credit/Increased CVRP Rebate) = $42,530

if Base CVRP Rebate:
$53780 - $5750 (Fed Tax Credit/Base CVRP Rebate) = $48,030

or

Used 2022 M3 LR AWD - Bottom Line: $46,300

$42000+$3700 sales tax +$600 title/registration = $46,300

What if you get a new 2023 M3 Performance with $7500 Fed Tax Credit plus $7500 CVRP rebate?

PS: I did not double check my math - maybe off. Do your own research. Not financial advice. o_O

First, if you can afford to "pay cash" for a Tesla, you can afford to be a contributing member of society by paying taxes as the law requires.

Second, there's no way to buy a car in CA (or other states?) without paying sales tax, no matter who you buy it from or how you pay.

Third, if you qualify for the $3750 federal tax credit and the $2000 CA credit, a brand new 3LR starts at $43K and on day 2 it'll be worth $15K more than one with 30K miles.

But to answer your question, laminated front windows, heat pump, black trim, and the non-combative center console were all introduced in 2021 with another notable update of Ryzen and Li 12V in 2022. Some features have been removed since mid-2021 but the newer models are almost always better overall. The "unicorn" that @KN0607 describes, for example, cost $60K with ugly wheels and no passenger lumbar support, so it's not like it was some amazing once-in-a-lifetime miracle car that you missed out on. The heat pump does a better job of everything, including cooling, and Teslas are fantastic in hot (or cold) weather for many reasons.

The first major update to the Model 3, "Project Highland", will probably begin delivering in October as a 2024 model to those who place orders in August-September and will probably be a little more expensive but will have a higher resale value.

My location might be causing a bit of confusion here, I live and work in Nevada. Though with friends and family in CA, I tend to visit pretty often. Sales tax is not collected on private sales here which can be $3k+ a $40k car. On the other hand, we pay exorbitant annual car registration pricing as the cost to register is based on the MSRP and age of the car. That being said, it's good to hear that heat pump works well in hot climates.

Consider new 2023 M3 LR AWD ($47240) vs used 2022 M3 LR AWD ($42000), with the following assumptions:

1. You qualify for Federal Tax Credit: $3750
2. You qualify for CA CVRP of: a. Base Rebate: $2000 or b. Increased Rebate: $7500
3. You buy and register in California.

New 2023 M3 LR AWD - Bottom Line: $42,530 or $48,030

$47240+$1390+$250+$4200 sales tax+$700 title/registration = $53780
$53780 - $11250 (Fed Tax Credit/Increased CVRP Rebate) = $42,530

if Base CVRP Rebate:
$53780 - $5750 (Fed Tax Credit/Base CVRP Rebate) = $48,030

or

Used 2022 M3 LR AWD - Bottom Line: $46,300

$42000+$3700 sales tax +$600 title/registration = $46,300

What if you get a new 2023 M3 Performance with $7500 Fed Tax Credit plus $7500 CVRP rebate?

PS: I did not double check my math - maybe off. Do your own research. Not financial advice. o_O

I was pondering an M3P as well, but ultimately decided against it after running the prices at the Tesla dealer last week.

M3P Price: $53,240 + $4,458.85 Sales Tax + $1,390 Destination + $250 Order Fee - $7,500 Fed = ~$52,000 OTD (no CVRP sadly) which would put the spend significantly above where I'd like to be.

• Helpful
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Somehow I knew this place was gonna talk me out of the otherwise very attractive 2019 bargain. 😁
We have a 2020 LR, and it is a nice car. Fast, quiet, etc. The screen speed is not an issue, but slower than the latest. Remember, when you buy a Tesla, it is like buying a computer, phone, etc. There are updates but at a cost. Only you can determine if these updates are worth paying more.

Somehow I knew this place was gonna talk me out of the otherwise very attractive 2019 bargain. 😁
I have a 2019 RWD LR, and it's been great. The heat pump is nice but not a huge deal if you're in a relatively mild climate. I still get 250+ miles at highway speed in decent weather, which is further than my bladder can take me anyway.

My only real complaint is the road noise above 70 mph. It can be a little much on rough surfaces. I think the newer cars are a bit better on that, especially some of the 22's that may have double paned front windows. We had a 22 MYP for a while, and it was definitely quieter at high speed.