TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

shore power for precooling when charging is scheduled?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Crispix, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Crispix

Crispix Member

Perhaps a dumb question: Does the car still use shore power to precondition the car when plugged in and climate control turns on, even if I have a scheduled charge time?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Yes. Even if you just open the door, it begins drawing shore power with scheduled charging.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Mine only does it if the climate control is on when I open the door. If the climate control is off, opening the door doesn't turn on the EVSE.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

One thing I've wondered about (and should probably test) is what happens if you're charging at a reduced rate, the charging is under way, and you open a door activating the a/c or heat. Does the car "respect" the charge limit you've set, or does it add the HVAC load on top of the charging load (if both are still below the adapter's rating)?

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It respects the charge limit you've set. I have mine set to 32 amps rather than 40, and it doesn't go above that. When pre-cooling, I can see the mph is slightly lower.

6. strider

strider Active Member

Yep, Jerry is correct. I have seen the same behavior.