Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short 3Ph Type 2 charging cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cable sounds great but the company seem to be a bit iffy... No address, phone number etc on their webpage...

They are fine to deal with. Had a delivery of cable and connectors from them today, the third or fourth order I've placed with them now. Today's delivery was from an order placed on 21st February, but arrived two days later than promised, but that was due to TNT holding things up at their Dartford depot.

This is the info from the invoice:

Some BV
Hooilaar
Herselt

BTW: BE 0829.249.337

So....i'm an idiot and ordered too short a cable. Just got my car home today, parked it up.....and it doesn't reach.

So, anyone want to buy a brand new 2 meter cable with storage cable? Price negoitiable.

I'm going to contact EV Chargeking about my options but I've had the cable a while now while I was waiting on the car and shipping etc its probably not worth me trying to send it back.

The cheapest option would be to order a new, longer, length of cable, plus two terminal kits, one male, one female. It's about half an hour or so's work to strip both connectors, cut off and discard the existing terminals at the vehicle end and cable and crimp up a new length of cable with new terminals plus a new male connector.

Just costed this up, and the parts needed are:

Female terminal set (vehicle end), for 6mm² cable: Female connector terminal set - evChargeking €20.62 plus tax and shipping

3m of 6mm² cable: Charging cable - Single Phase - 32A - evChargeking €24.79 plus tax and shipping

Male 32A connector with 16mm backend: Male Type 2 connector - evChargeking €73.55 plus tax and shipping.

Might be worth asking them if they can supply just the male connector terminals, as that might be cheaper.

All that's needed then is some patience and a proper crimping tool to assemble things. I'd do it for you, but it's a bit far from here to where you are. Worth asking Erwin Raets at EV Charge king if he will take your old cable back and use the parts to make up a new one, perhaps.

The cheapest option would be to order a new, longer, length of cable, plus two terminal kits, one male, one female. It's about half an hour or so's work to strip both connectors, cut off and discard the existing terminals at the vehicle end and cable and crimp up a new length of cable with new terminals plus a new male connector.

Just costed this up, and the parts needed are:

Female terminal set (vehicle end), for 6mm² cable: Female connector terminal set - evChargeking €20.62 plus tax and shipping

3m of 6mm² cable: Charging cable - Single Phase - 32A - evChargeking €24.79 plus tax and shipping

Male 32A connector with 16mm backend: Male Type 2 connector - evChargeking €73.55 plus tax and shipping.

Might be worth asking them if they can supply just the male connector terminals, as that might be cheaper.

All that's needed then is some patience and a proper crimping tool to assemble things. I'd do it for you, but it's a bit far from here to where you are. Worth asking Erwin Raets at EV Charge king if he will take your old cable back and use the parts to make up a new one, perhaps.

Appreciate the effort you've put into that. I find it hard to justify spending ANOTHER £120 on it though, when the original cost me around 250...it was already at the pricer end of the scale for me.

Frustratingly the cable that comes with the car is only slightly longer than I would have liked, I really expected to have miles of spare cable but now the car is actually on the drive, I'm a fair bit further away from the charger than I thought I would be.

My fault for jumping the gun really.
Worst case I may be in the market for a short cable, although ironically I was after something even shorter!

Well get in touch if you decide you want it mate :) I'll be checking other options in the meantime of course.

Oh and just checked the T&C's on their site,

That said, we do offer a solution to our customers in case of a mistake made in the order process (wrong length, wrong plug type), but these returns are handled case by case, and the amount or percentage refunded will differ depending on the specifications to which the cable was built. A 2 meter cable is not very common, and so is harder to resell compared to a 5 meter cable for example.

Doh....

Well little update. Got a quick response from EVChargeKing originally being very sympathetic with my situation, but as the cables are custom made to order there was not a great deal they could do, which is fair enough - it was my screw up.

But, a couple hours later they came back to me as someone in the UK had ordered the same cable! A few emails later and a quick 45 minute drive up the road - I have delivered the cable to the new customer (who quite amusingly had exactly the same brand new red model 3 as me) - and my new, slightly longer cable is being made up as we speak.

Happy Days.

Very strong recommendation for EvChargeKing!

I bought one of these. Very well made 3m 3phase £144.99

Good price for a full spec cable. Sensible information provided in the listing too. It's worth having the higher speed 3 phase as though the Model 3 can't do the full 22kW it can benefit from more than just the 7kW you get at home. Though technically limited to 11kW I've seen my car pulling a consistent 12kW on a public charger that presumably had a higher voltage supply than nominal.

Well little update. Got a quick response from EVChargeKing originally being very sympathetic with my situation, but as the cables are custom made to order there was not a great deal they could do, which is fair enough - it was my screw up.

But, a couple hours later they came back to me as someone in the UK had ordered the same cable! A few emails later and a quick 45 minute drive up the road - I have delivered the cable to the new customer (who quite amusingly had exactly the same brand new red model 3 as me) - and my new, slightly longer cable is being made up as we speak.

Happy Days.

Very strong recommendation for EvChargeKing!
That's amazing!

Reactions: Billbrown1982
Gonna necro this thread and see if anyone else has had an unpleasant surprise lately.

I got my cable from EVChargeking what...2 months ago now?

Just got a letter through the door from FedEx telling me I owe them £68 in import duty!

Now, i'm no stranger to paying import tax, normally spin the wheel and if I get flagged then so be it, it gets paid.

But coming at me 2 months down the line? Seems like a liberty.....

Fedex did the same to me last year, seems their invoicing team is slammed. I've paid the duty but am disputing their figures... it's been 10 months so far without a reply from their team (despite chasing).

What i'm doubly worried about, which I've only just realised. My first cable was too short and I did a deal with EVChargeKing and passed it on to another customer and they sent me a longer one.

Looking at the invoice date. They are taxing me on the first one, so if that means I've got another invoice coming in a week or 2 thats nearly 150 in friggin charges!

Just received a bill for £68 as well, which seems excessive for a £200 cable.
Brexit: the gift that keeps on giving…
That'll be 20% vat on the cable, the courier charge and their handling fees. You've helped UK gov with 45.60p vat. the real con comes if the original price included vat in the country of origin to which theoretically you are entitled to reclaim (best of luck with that..)

That'll be 20% vat on the cable, the courier charge and their handling fees. You've helped UK gov with 45.60p vat. the real con comes if the original price included vat in the country of origin to which theoretically you are entitled to reclaim (best of luck with that..)
Thank you for that. Do you know what the process is for claiming the VAT back? Do I bring it up with the seller?