Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short and sweet J-1772 to Roadster adapter - lockable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a video, but may be of interest just the same. I drove over to ClipperCreek offices over lunch to try it out with 70amps. Worked great! The engineers came out ooh'ed and ahh'ed over it :). No one thought it was too much weight, but I probably will stick a wine cork in the space between the adapter and the car (behind the door), to provide a little extra support. Overkill probably...

Note that the J1772 clears the car completely. No concerns about it resting on the car.

J1772 adapter.JPG

Attachments

• J1772 adapter.JPG
    J1772 adapter.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 539
Bonnie, I have my adapter on order and was thinking along the same lines as you... some simple "kiss" solution to provide "extra support" (between the adapter housing & the body in case of some unforseen event i.e. vandalism attempt, falling object, curiosity seeker tripping over the charge cable, etc)...just curious, does the housing of the adapter give off much heat when charging?

Last edited:
Now there's an idea to prevent theft - make the housing "hot" while charging!:biggrin:
Can't wait to catch that on video...

Seriously, I really don't think you need anything under it. The weight of a 70A cable is not enough to create undue stress. If somebody yanked the cable hard enough by tripping over it, then it's conceivable you might stress it. I'm not sure having something propped under it would help in that case. If you like the idea, go for it. Won't hurt. The adapter will get warm at 70A just like the regular Tesla connector. I can't imagine you would ever melt anything but I probably wouldn't recommend PVC.

Bonnie, I have my adapter on order and was thinking along the same lines as you... some simple "kiss" solution to provide "extra support" (between the adapter housing & the body in case of some unforseen event i.e. vandalism attempt, falling object, curiosity seeker tripping over the charge cable, etc)...just curious, does the housing of the adapter give off much heat when charging?

Right click on the link and save it locally on your pc or device. You can then point your media player of choice that has the "mp4" codec.
Perfect! Worked; thank YOU!

PS-Only a Teslaficionado could tell from this limited http://www.one-ring.net/pics/J1772Adapter.mp4 J1772 Adapter video that the car used was NOT a 2008 model... how?
...and now for some theme music whilst you contemplate that...

Last edited by a moderator:
(not normally up at this hour, but SpaceX ...) I was on a panel at the SACOG-sponsored CA PlugIn EV Collaborative Workshop yesterday and took advantage of charging in the parking garage for three hours.

When I came back to the car, the adapter was completely cool to the touch. Heat is NOT an issue.