TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Short and sweet J-1772 to Roadster adapter - lockable

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by hcsharp, May 4, 2012.

1. Please create a smaller UMC !!!

2. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I did but I'm not selling it. Just out of curiosity, what part would you make smaller? Cable length? Cable diameter? Electronics module (big lump in the cord)? All of the above?

3. Electronics Module & Diameter....I have been in some precarious scenarios where the extra length of the UMC really made a difference. Best case scenario would be the abilty to store it in something like a jumper cables bag.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

When does she drive the S?

And Henry is a genius.

5. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

I have experimented with installing a complete EVSE circuit inside a J1772 plug and think something similar could be done with Henry's Roadster adapter which has more space inside. This has the advantage that you can then use a standard 3 core cable from the power source to the adapter which is not only a lot cheaper but also significantly lighter. In some countries this scenario is forbidden by the electrical code at some power levels (not sure if the US is in that bracket).

6. LifeIsGreen

LifeIsGreen New Member

Hey HCSharp! you sound like an awesome person! I'm from Manchester Vermont where in VT are you from? I used to sell biodiesel and was a founding member of the Vermont biofuels Association. I remember seeing a Roadster at the Solarfest a few years back, was that you? At any rate I'm out in Santa Monica CA now and just got a 2010 2.0 Roadster I LOVE it she is in perfect used condition with just 5k miles. But it didn't come with the J1772 adapter and I'm so happy that I found you on this forum. I will PM you about placing an order for your adapter. I need it ASAP. Thanks!

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

To LIG, check this out:

http://www.socalgreenspeed.com/

8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Henry IS awesome and his adapter design is absolutely brilliant.

9. DrTaras

DrTaras R254->R725->S->X->M3-->R2020?

Wow! 1st post! Join up with us at SoCalGreenSpeed
    In the mean time, I'm using my "can" on Friday and Saturday but will be done with it on Saturday night and driving through Santa Monica around 7 pm in case you need to borrow it. [email protected]

10. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

LifeIsGreen welcome to the forum! Great to hear from a [former] Vermonter! I live on the East side of the state in Thetford. Check out this thread:
    How to cook road kill

That wasn't me at Solarfest. Might have been one of the two early 1.5 Roadsters that found homes in VT. I'll look for your PM. With one of my adapters you can go anywhere - maybe even VT???:cool:

11. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

must. stop. blushing. :redface:
    Actually there are so many geniuses on TMC that it's quite humbling.

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

And you used your power for the good of us all. The CAN is benevolent genius.

13. LifeIsGreen

LifeIsGreen New Member

Hey Doc I would love to join SoCalGreenSpeed and also thank you so much for your generous offer to let me borrow your "can" :) I do have a friend from Vermont visiting over the weekend and we were going to drive up to Santa Barbara on Saturday. I'm not yet sure if I can make it up to SB and back or not! haha I think it's about 90 miles one way so I would probably have to charge up in SB. Maybe I'll make that trip on Sunday instead :) Or do you know of any Tesla compatible fast chargers between here and SB ?

Looking fwd to meeting you and seeing your beautiful Roadster! I'll pm u with my contact details. Thanks!

Visit my new Green Lifestyle blog: http://www.LifeIsGreen.com

14. LifeIsGreen

LifeIsGreen New Member

15. DrTaras

Mission complete! TMC is bringing together people committed to change for the better!
    Enjoy and don't forget to buy yours from Henry as there is usually a few weeks delay to get it.

16. DrTaras

CAN protector for sale

As per Henry's recommendations, I bought this item on eBay to keep my CAN protected in the perfectly fitting camera case:
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180914129685&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160
    I bought the item for $19.49 & it took 3 weeks to be delivered (from China).
    During that time I lived with the CAN in my trunk and experienced no roll around, tucked in with my spare charge cord, and I actually liked that it was easy to show others without taking it out of the case.
    Accordingly, I do not need the camera case anymore.
    Would anyone like to buy the $19.49 item from me? :confused:
    I'll ship it, free to you, and it will get there sooner than 3 weeks.
    Let me know: [email protected]

17. fredvoncolln

fredvoncolln New Member

I need one of these. How can I arrange a purchase?

18. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Contact hcsharp via pm.

19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I hope someone makes a 'reverse adapter' someday, so, for instance, RAV4EVs could charge at Roadster HPCs, and use a Roadster UMC.

20. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I made one and it has a circuit inside that automatically disconnects if it senses my Roadster within 50 feet and needing a charge.:wink: Trying to disable this feature causes it to detonate.:eek:
    :wink::wink: