Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short interest tracking info?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for what might be an obvious question but: is there a place that tracks daily an estimate of short interest? I'm basically trying to figure out how much of the current run up is due to shorts covering, and how much of that run up might be left. Thanks.

Though it won't be nearly as precise, I've been thinking we can keep a feel for how the short interest is changing day to day by keeping an eye on the interest rate being charged each day for people borrowing stock to sell. I watch the updates of that info eagerly in the one thread.

Cool, thanks for posting the links. The interactive charts on shortanalytics.com look like the most current public source on short interest.

So looking at the first plot it seems like short interest percentage (of float?) has actually gone *up* Thu and Fri - that means we didn´t have
a short squeeze but actually more of the opposite?! So the squeeze might still be happening in the future...

I am not quite sure what the last plot means. Is the short part of the volume the covering or new shorting?

So looking at the first plot it seems like short interest percentage (of float?) has actually gone *up* Thu and Fri - that means we didn´t have
a short squeeze but actually more of the opposite?! So the squeeze might still be happening in the future...

I am not quite sure what the last plot means. Is the short part of the volume the covering or new shorting?

Keep in mind with the extreme volatility there have been many day and swing traders going long and short multiple times within the same day taking profits on the constant up and down changes of the stock.

a short squeeze but actually more of the opposite?!

No, the squeeze is happening - trading volume is too high for too long.

What's happening is that while previously existing shorts are covering, new shorts are entering the market. If you thought Tesla at $35 was a short but didn't have the guts to put your money in play, with the stock at $85 you might think the short play is a sure thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see short interest max out this week.

Since there still aren't enough shares to satisfy all the shorters, Put option premium is likely to rise.

No, the squeeze is happening - trading volume is too high for too long.

What's happening is that while previously existing shorts are covering, new shorts are entering the market. If you thought Tesla at $35 was a short but didn't have the guts to put your money in play, with the stock at $85 you might think the short play is a sure thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see short interest max out this week.

Since there still aren't enough shares to satisfy all the shorters, Put option premium is likely to rise.
You are absolutely correct. This will continue at least three more days as today's short will have margin calls on we'd to meet. The end will be signaled by a drop in volume. Expect an impending end when volume goes below 3 million. I have maintained that the shorts are our friends. The new shorting will prolong this further