Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SHORT Lease Takeover MX P100DL $900/month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been assigned 2 new territories for work, which require me to drive an extra 3,000 miles a month. The added drive time/charging and miles aren't conducive to my new work schedule. 4.5 months remaining on lease, lease ends 12/28/20

As such, I'm gauging interest on putting the remainder of my MXP100DL lease up for a trasner. I'll pay the transfer fee. Fully loaded Dec 28th 2017 MX P100DL with all options. Blue. superwhite vinyl, 6 seat, Onyx Black 22s 50% tread (the contisilents that come stock) and another set of the silver turbine 20in wheels (50% tread left) that I'll throw in. You can keep, sell, etc at end of lease. I purchased the 20s when I started putting a lot miles on vehicle. 53,000 miles currently, 56,500 allowed on the lease. I will purchase additional miles to net lessee 1,000 miles a month through remainder of lease. Clean, no damage, no issues or wrecks. I do a lot of wake up at 5am, drive to a destination, work all day and come home late that evening. I'm just not interested in planning charge trips on top of a busier schedule. As such, I've purchased a BMW X7 M50i that arrives next week. No money down, just the monthly payment (and allowing me to reclaim a garage space). Vehicle located in Dallas, TX.

I’m interested. A couple questions
1. Does Tesla allow lease takeovers with this little time remaining? For some reason I thought they don’t allow under 12 months but I don’t know that for sure
They don't. OP is probably SOL.

Tesla Leasing Calculator | Tesla Support
Can I transfer my lease to someone else?
Yes. Your lease may be transferred one time to a credit-approved assignee. Lease assumptions are not permitted in the final 12 months of your lease. Contact us at 1-844-837-5285, or email us at [email protected] for additional information.
A co-worker ran into this when he was considering taking over the Model S lease of someone else at my work. The original person leasing was hosed as there wasn't enough time left.

I guess the OP has nothing to lose by asking but I suspect the answer will be no. I don't understand the reason for this policy as it's not universal across leasing arms of other automakers.

They don't. OP is probably SOL.

Tesla Leasing Calculator | Tesla Support

A co-worker ran into this when he was considering taking over the Model S lease of someone else at my work. The original person leasing was hosed as there wasn't enough time left.

I guess the OP has nothing to lose by asking but I suspect the answer will be no. I don't understand the reason for this policy as it's not universal across leasing arms of other automakers.

BMW doesnt allow it within the last 6 months of lease end.

I suspect one of the reasons for the policy (and I am just guessing here), is that when there is a lease transfer that close to the end of the lease, the person assuming the lease doesnt tend to understand that they are actually responsible for everything that went on during the lease, including things that happened when they did not have the vehicle.

I am sure car manufacturers have had things like accidents that were repaired badly, other damage, etc and applied lease end charges to the vehicle, and the person assuming it "near the end" can end up flabbergasted (and hosed).

To be clear I am not saying that is happening here, I am just guessing as to the "why". Now why tesla is 12 months vs other manufacturers in general 6 months, I am not sure.

I didn't realize Tesla had that restriction, although it makes sense. I'll ask if there's a way around this, but I can't imagine there is --Tesla gains nothing by adding an exception. Thanks for the call out to the restrictions!

For what its worth, buyout for the vehicle is $95,xxx

Maybe I could try the 'new lessee is interested in purchasing at end' without committing to a purchase at end clause.

• Funny
Reactions: DSolie

I suspect one of the reasons for the policy (and I am just guessing here), is that when there is a lease transfer that close to the end of the lease, the person assuming the lease doesnt tend to understand that they are actually responsible for everything that went on during the lease, including things that happened when they did not have the vehicle.

I am sure car manufacturers have had things like accidents that were repaired badly, other damage, etc and applied lease end charges to the vehicle, and the person assuming it "near the end" can end up flabbergasted (and hosed).
FWIW, for Nissan (NMAC) lease, I'm not aware of such a limitation by time but their transfer policy is REALLY sucky. Even after your transfer, the original lessee is still designated as being responsible. So, if the person you transfer to is a deadbeat and doesn't pay, NMAC could come after you.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx

To be clear I am not saying that is happening here, I am just guessing as to the "why". Now why tesla is 12 months vs other manufacturers in general 6 months, I am not sure.
Carmakers’ #1 goal is to “move the metal.” OP’s changed circumstances are outside carmakers’ plan to push new cars onto leaseholders - that’s why they are so eager to rollover existing leases nearing expiration into new leases. Letting a lessee out early to go buy a competitor’s vehicle is not in any automaker’s best (short-term) interest.

I don’t agree with those policies — in fact, if you think about it for a few seconds, it reflects weakness and fear that your products aren’t good so you have to resort to handcuffing customers to keep them. A confident company would treat their customers better, even if it means loss of an immediate sale, knowing that the long-term customer satisfaction & company image benefits outweigh any short-term gain.

Reactions: Rmf1981
Carmakers’ #1 goal is to “move the metal.” OP’s changed circumstances are outside carmakers’ plan to push new cars onto leaseholders - that’s why they are so eager to rollover existing leases nearing expiration into new leases. Letting a lessee out early to go buy a competitor’s vehicle is not in any automaker’s best (short-term) interest.

I don’t agree with those policies — in fact, if you think about it for a few seconds, it reflects weakness and fear that your products aren’t good so you have to resort to handcuffing customers to keep them. A confident company would treat their customers better, even if it means loss of an immediate sale, knowing that the long-term customer satisfaction & company image benefits outweigh any short-term gain.

While I agree that carmakers want to "move the metal" I disagree that has anything at all to do with this specific circumstance (letting someone out of a lease early or process for doing so). That isnt for this thread, though.

Might be cheaper for OP to return it early and pay the remaining payments. No need to pay transfer fees, buy additional KMs, or take up driveway space.
OP understandably doesn’t want to pay $3600+ to turn in his car early - that’s a lot to pay to “free” up a parking space! It’d be great if someone could use it and help OP cover that $3600+. Doesn’t look like Tesla will allow it and the workaround by letting someone else drive it without a formal transfer has too many potential mileage, wear and tear and/or insurance liabilities. Shame.