Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short/long stay airport parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys

Normally I keep sentry mode on M3 LR which uses battery. If I was to leave the car at an airport (valet parking) for a period of time what’s the best of conserving battery? Is that valet mode? What does this mode do?

Probably a silly question but it’s new to me
TIA

Definitely disable sentry mode, that'll eat several % per day otherwise. You can use valet mode if you want to limit the driver's speed and prevent access to the glovebox & frunk.

Otherwise so long as Sentry is disabled the car will sit in a "deep sleep" state until you return, this means very little losses (<2% per week) as the HV battery is actually disconnected. Just be careful with the App while you're away, as every time you open it the car will be woken up for 20 mins or so - and will need another good few hours to return to the deepest sleep state.

Hi guys

Normally I keep sentry mode on M3 LR which uses battery. If I was to leave the car at an airport (valet parking) for a period of time what’s the best of conserving battery? Is that valet mode? What does this mode do?

TIA
I think valet mode just stops someone driving it fast. To save battery, turn Sentry off and don’t keep checking the app to see how much charge you have left as it wakes the car and uses battery.

If left asleep, the car should lose no more than one or two percent a day.

I'm in two minds about valet mode. If the long stay car park is a fair distance away, as a lot of our airports seem to be and even more so if your using a 3rd party style meet and greet, if they go to get on the motorway and can only get up to 50 I wonder if that puts the car at more risk of an accident than letting them do 70.

But to actually answer your question, yeah sentry off and away you go.

Or book parking with a company that will keep your car on charge, they do exist I believe. Then you can leave sentry on for peace of mind.

Otherwise so long as Sentry is disabled the car will sit in a "deep sleep" state until you return, this means very little losses (<2% per week) as the HV battery is actually disconnected. Just be careful with the App while you're away, as every time you open it the car will be woken up for 20 mins or so - and will need another good few hours to return to the deepest sleep state.
Tesla warn that the car will lose 1% per DAY. Even when woken by the app, the car will go back to sleep in about 15-20 minutes.
From the manual:

The Battery can discharge at a rate of approximately 1% per day, though the discharge rate may vary depending on environmental factors (such as cold weather), vehicle configuration, and your selected settings on the touchscreen. Situations can arise in which you must leave Model 3 unplugged for an extended period of time (for example, at an airport when traveling). In these situations, keep the 1% in mind to ensure that you leave the Battery with a sufficient charge level. For example, over a two week period (14 days), the Battery may discharge by approximately 14%.

Tesla warn that the car will lose 1% per DAY. Even when woken by the app, the car will go back to sleep in about 15-20 minutes.
From the manual:

The Battery can discharge at a rate of approximately 1% per day, though the discharge rate may vary depending on environmental factors (such as cold weather), vehicle configuration, and your selected settings on the touchscreen. Situations can arise in which you must leave Model 3 unplugged for an extended period of time (for example, at an airport when traveling). In these situations, keep the 1% in mind to ensure that you leave the Battery with a sufficient charge level. For example, over a two week period (14 days), the Battery may discharge by approximately 14%.
Thanks for digging out the official position - my figures were based on my car's resting consumption via Teslamate. My car hasn't been driven or charged since before New Year - and averaged 0.4% per day across that period, and just 2% total over the first/last 7 days.

That is with it being plugged in and therefore waking every 24 hours to contact Tesla. So far as I'm aware that behaviour doesn't occur when the car is unplugged, and therefore would see even lower phantom loss.

1643190525875.png

Last edited:
The OPs car won't be plugged in so its a moot point as to what the loss is when it's connected to power. Interesting to note that your battery level increases at certain points in that chart. I don't keep mine plugged in so can't say for certain, but it looks like you're getting some shore power added.
My vampire loss - also from teslamate - shows an average of 1.3% loss per 24 hours. That's based on over a year's readings and a relatively cold climate. None of it plugged in.
BTW the car still wakens up for up to an hour even when the car is not plugged in. IIRC it checks the 12v battery and tops up if necessary.
Screenshot 2022-01-26 at 10.28.03.png
What does your vampire drain table look like?

Hi guys

TIA
Valet mode disables the requirement for Pin to drive so they can drive away as long as they have the key and the speed/acceleration is limited, if you have sentry mode off then 1% per day is a reasonable estimate for battery drain

I plan on leaving mine at Bristol Aiport for a week. I'm hoping I can get a space with a Pod Point charger and leave it plugged in - does anyone know if there are rules regarding this? eg are you allowed to leave it plugged in for a week?

I plan on leaving mine at Bristol Aiport for a week. I'm hoping I can get a space with a Pod Point charger and leave it plugged in - does anyone know if there are rules regarding this? eg are you allowed to leave it plugged in for a week?
Seems a bit selfish to use a charger when you're not charging. Wouldn't it be better to charge when you arrive and maybe also when you leave?

Some charge points have idle fees, others have general restrictions on parking that will also attract fees if violated.

In the absence of these, it wouldn't be very fair to do leave you car plugged into a public charger for longer than it needs to be; even for a day. I'm not sure you'd need to either.

Seems a bit selfish to use a charger when you're not charging. Wouldn't it be better to charge when you arrive and maybe also when you leave?
Well not deliberately so - you can't plug in, wait 4 hours then go to check in unless you really love Bristol Airport. The reason for wanting it is it's a long drive to the airport, so battery would be low on arrival. Add to that a week of idling and could have nothing left on return. The chargers are in 'Long Stay' carpark, so everyone there is there for a long time, I don't see what else they would expect?

Maybe these long stay places need to look at installing a slooow 2kw charger in every parking space, so people can leave it plugged in and have a full battery when they return.

For the record anyway, of the 10 spaces all but 1 were full on Friday night - and the car park was half empty, so not particularly reliable with such low numbers. I didn't use them as the Tesla had a puncture and had to take the old hybrid.

Well not deliberately so - you can't plug in, wait 4 hours then go to check in unless you really love Bristol Airport. The reason for wanting it is it's a long drive to the airport, so battery would be low on arrival. Add to that a week of idling and could have nothing left on return. The chargers are in 'Long Stay' carpark, so everyone there is there for a long time, I don't see what else they would expect?

Maybe these long stay places need to look at installing a slooow 2kw charger in every parking space, so people can leave it plugged in and have a full battery when they return.
Not sure how it couldn't be deliberate. FSD doesn't extend to charging afaik :)

The chargers in the long stay car park are 22kW so much more than your car can handle. The airport give people 2 hours free access to use those chargers. That seems to be the expectation they are setting.
Also I don't think it would work. I haven't tried this, but once your car got to the charge limit, then surely it would just stop the charge and you'd have to start the charging process again? Certainly all the chargers I have used cut the power once the limit was reached.

Lots of slow chargers would be ideal, or stop off en route for a top up?

Definitely disable sentry mode, that'll eat several % per day otherwise. You can use valet mode if you want to limit the driver's speed and prevent access to the glovebox & frunk.

Are you sure the HV battery is disconnected? If it IS then presumably the 12v won't be kept charged, which could be a bit of an issue if it hasn't the oomph to make the contactor on return?

Reactions: init6