Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short seller time capsules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bhzmark

Jul 21, 2013
Here is the best one:

Why A Hedge Fund Manager Thinks Tesla's Model 3 May Put Elon Musk Out of Business

upload_2018-7-21_8-31-14.png

And from his presentation which is mostly a collection of news articles:

http://www.tilsonfunds.com/TSLA-Spiegel-RH16.pdf

upload_2018-7-21_8-36-17.png

and another that was recently reiterated:

JPMorgan has a new short idea: Tesla shares to fall 40 percent in 12 months

upload_2018-7-21_8-30-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-21_8-26-29.png
    upload_2018-7-21_8-26-29.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 51
Very interesting regarding that last one published on CNBC... I'm noticing a barrage of Tesla hit pieces mostly on CNBC over the last 2 weeks more than any other publication just as production ramps up (as per bloomberg 3 tracker). Different authors though to Thomas Franck, if I wasn't a suspicious person I would say CNBC is doing everything it can to help panicked short sellers just as production is ramping up (hoping people will read their negative CNBC spin and cancel their reservations)

Short Tesla, long internal combustion engine automobiles says Atlantic Investment CIO
Here's why Tesla's Model 3 may face declining demand, despite Elon Musk's claims
If Tesla's brand is harmed in a material way, it's 'over': Expert
JP Morgan predicts Tesla shares will plunge more than 40% before the end of the year
Tesla stock sank after Musk tweeted, again
Needham analyst: Tesla is overvalued

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
If I find time I’ll try to contribute to this. I’ve always thought something like this should be done. It would be cool if the moderators would allow @bhzmark to edit his original post and add additional ones as he sees fit or as people include highly upvoted ones in this thread.

It would also be nice to find some for our resident trolls. And also for “journalists”.

Cool thread. Following.

Reactions: Unpilot
I have a couple. This one is from Dale Wettlaufer of Charlotte Lane capital from his Q2 letter. He is on twitter (@valuetrap13). I also tried to converse with Dale on Twitter and was blocked.

The second one is from upslope capital. I suppose these people have a 2-3% of their portfolio short TSLA.

Dio9gTGVAAE06Fq.jpg:large

Here is one from @upslopecapital in his Q2 letter.

upload_2018-7-22_22-37-34.png

Reactions: bhzmark
Seeking Alpha comments by Logical Thought (Mark Spiegel) on the day of Tesla's $17 IPO:

At $50,000, they will be competing with the BMW 5-series, Lexus GS-350, etc. It's my understanding that the price of the battery pack alone is almost half the price of the car, so how will they build a "BMW/Lexus-comparable vehicle" with that kind of handicap? Even the GM Volt (a much smaller and slower and less luxurious car) is going to cost $40,000, and that's from a manufacturer which has 100 years of mass-production experience.
Jun 29, 2010. 11:46 AM

I know a *lot* about cars. They only sold 1100 of them in three years because there is no value for the money here vs. a 911 C2 cab, GT3, etc. It's basically a toy for someone who already has three or four other cars.

Jun 29, 2010. 02:32 PM

Wow, he could have saved himself years of frustration if he wasn’t so cocky about his knowledge of cars. Could be sitting on a 20-bagger instead of always having to write reports explaining why his portfolio has been getting destroyed.

Seeking Alpha comments by Logical Thought (Mark B. Spiegel) on the day of Tesla's $17 IPO:

At $50,000, they will be competing with the BMW 5-series, Lexus GS-350, etc. It's my understanding that the price of the battery pack alone is almost half the price of the car, so how will they build a "BMW/Lexus-comparable vehicle" with that kind of handicap? Even the GM Volt (a much smaller and slower and less luxurious car) is going to cost $40,000, and that's from a manufacturer which has 100 years of mass-production experience.

I know a *lot* about cars. They only sold 1100 of them in three years because there is no value for the money here vs. a 911 C2 cab, GT3, etc. It's basically a toy for someone who already has three or four other cars.

Seeking Alpha comments by Logical Thought (Mark B. Spiegel) on the day of Tesla's $17 IPO:

Seeking Alpha comments by Curt Renz and Logical Thought (Mark B. Spiegel) on Sep 17, 2014:

Curt Renz:
Actually, Logical Thought posted the first of his over a thousand negative Tesla Motors comments here at Seeking Alpha over four years ago around the time of the $17 TSLA IPO.
Sep 17, 2014. 04:46 PM

Logical Thought:
Pull up that link and I'll send you $100 in cash. Of course, after you CAN'T find it I hope you'll crawl back into the lying hole from whence you came. In actuality, I took the tiniest of initial short positions here last year in the high $90s and after averaging up have a current basis @ $201.
Sep 17, 2014. 06:05 PM

See quote at top of this post.

Logical Thought:
Okay, fair enough. I had no position then (and didn't until 2013) and thus forgot I made those comments. Email me your address and I'll send you $100 along with my apology.
P.S. They are in fact hemmorhaging cash and never did sell that car for $50,000, so this is an excellent reminder of both the fallibility of my memory and-- more importantly-- of Musk's claims about his future products.
Sep 17, 2014. 10:46

Seeking Alpha comments by Curt Renz and Logical Thought (Mark B. Spiegel) on Sep 17, 2014:

Logical Thought:
Okay, fair enough. I had no position then (and didn't until 2013) and thus forgot I made those comments. Email me your address and I'll send you $100 along with my apology.
P.S. They are in fact hemmorhaging cash and never did sell that car for $50,000, so this is an excellent reminder of both the fallibility of my memory and-- more importantly-- of Musk's claims about his future products.
Sep 17, 2014. 10:46

So did you get 100 dollars?