Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-shorts taunting going too far?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SOULPEDL

Cyber-Bandit is Ready!
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2016
Arizona
Referral Code
Trust me, I've been laughing the whole time on this topic. But this morning, after reading multiple Elon tweets on Short-shorts, I imagined the tortoise doing a dance before the finish line which didn't feel like the ideal story ending. Something felt wrong.

I don't think we've won yet, the mission continues, and during this strategic inflection point (to quote Andy Grove) the actions of Wall Street could throw a curveball because they can make their own rules as they have in the past. If nothing else, this taunting emboldens the opposition to fight even harder and it's getting personal, adding to polarization in society much like the Trump era we're in. It's similar because it's our own neighbors hating in both cases, and may be translating to EV vs ICE in hateful ways.

I can see someone losing his/her shirt (deservedly so) but then making a point to shoot Elon - in part because he participated on a personal level and didn't take the higher ground. The fact that this possibility exists, along with an earthquake or a takeover, is what concerns me.

I say we focus on the issues and look at the Shorts as an unhealthy, misinformed crowd following a few bad actors. Go ahead, unlike me, then ask yourself if this joy is helping or hurting the mission? I answered that question this morning. I encourage people to think EV and how wonderful our Model 3 is, not bash them for thinking in the past or make fun of their oil fever.

Yea, not a big fan of Elon‘s war against the shorts. It sometimes seems the mission is not sustainable transport anymore, but rather the short burn.

In the long run they will loose anyways, so who cares? Tesla will soon be profitable and then the shorts will go too.

No need to go private with a sheikh in ones back, no need for a gazillion tweets about shorts...

Yea, not a big fan of Elon‘s war against the shorts. It sometimes seems the mission is not sustainable transport anymore, but rather the short burn.

In the long run they will loose anyways, so who cares? Tesla will soon be profitable and then the shorts will go too.

No need to go private with a sheikh in ones back, no need for a gazillion tweets about shorts...

I don't agree with this. The shorts are creating a narrative in much the same way Trump does. If you say something enough times to tons of ppl who either don't know much about the topic, or have neither the time nor the energy to learn about it, they take the lazy route and believe what they're being told. Even journalists fall prey to this; CNN has run a bunch of negative FUD style Tesla stories lately. If Tesla is unable to control the narrative their story becomes what the shorts say it is, and when that day comes the investors pull back and the company is done.

Companies and people engage in marketing cause it works.

I suspect I'll get many disagrees, but if you're referring to Russia, the Judicial Watch discoveries show much of what Trump has tweeted hasn't been that far off the mark. Also, CNN is not a high watermark when it comes to journalism (and they have a long history of their own style of manipulation as a member of the mockingbird press to prove it). The Tesla FUD might just be the most blatant for some folks (but they are not alone).

I'm not sure I'd like to see Einhorn in a selfie with his short-shorts but have enjoyed the back and forth (which I've taken as good natured on both of their parts) -- between Einhorn and Musk with the Chubbies CEO thrown in. And let's face it with Elon's/Tesla's quirky but successful marketing of unique items for the store (the guy just likes to have fun on occasion and Einhorn does too apparently), people are enjoying it too. Einhorn might not be delighted to know his initial post about trading in his Tesla car lease for an i-Pace became the springboard for a new product though...sure to sell out and add to Tesla's bottom line (let's face it only just a tad! and more in smiles than dollars).

I think the ribbing is justified.

Elon warned the short-sellers this wouldn't end well for them and they didn't listen.

Nothing wrong with taking a victory lap. Lord knows they have not exactly been honest and noble!
Ya, I think our sentiments are more aligned now. I wrote that 1 yr ago when there was a bigger risk of backlash.
Then came the pandemic to put Tesla center stage as the only carmaker standing in 1H.
Risk is much lower now, FUDs not sticking anymore.
Shorts all gone... (short-shorts too, darn it).

I actually caught that tweet within a few minutes of it being posted. And like the sucker that I am, immediately ordered. I thought it's funny and hope my wife appreciates the humor when I give it to her. If not, it will be on eBay for $1,000,000. LOL

There's a bunch of videos on YouTube compiling the shorts' sentiments towards Tesla and Elon in general, how the big guys are coming, how nothing is special about Tesla's secret sauce etc. Watch just one of those videos and you'd appreciate that response from Elon.

Trust me, I've been laughing the whole time on this topic. But this morning, after reading multiple Elon tweets on Short-shorts, I imagined the tortoise doing a dance before the finish line which didn't feel like the ideal story ending. Something felt wrong.

I don't think we've won yet, the mission continues, and during this strategic inflection point (to quote Andy Grove) the actions of Wall Street could throw a curveball because they can make their own rules as they have in the past. If nothing else, this taunting emboldens the opposition to fight even harder and it's getting personal, adding to polarization in society much like the Trump era we're in. It's similar because it's our own neighbors hating in both cases, and may be translating to EV vs ICE in hateful ways.

I can see someone losing his/her shirt (deservedly so) but then making a point to shoot Elon - in part because he participated on a personal level and didn't take the higher ground. The fact that this possibility exists, along with an earthquake or a takeover, is what concerns me.

I say we focus on the issues and look at the Shorts as an unhealthy, misinformed crowd following a few bad actors. Go ahead, unlike me, then ask yourself if this joy is helping or hurting the mission? I answered that question this morning. I encourage people to think EV and how wonderful our Model 3 is, not bash them for thinking in the past or make fun of their oil fever.

Good points, still it is pretty hilarious! And it isn't as if a lot of the shorts aren't acting in bad faith (not to mention illegally since the point is clearly to manipulate the stock price downward, so those shorts deserve all the derision they get.

Speaking of shorts. I notice there was a sharp spike down in TSLA's price to the exact price of Friday's close. I wonder if that was Elon selling a tonne of his stocks at a fixed price to cash in a bit on the recent "irrational exuberance" about TSLA's prospects. It is encouraging that the stock price immediately rebounded to 1762 before drifting back down to the 1600s. It is entirely possible that a lot of the recent stock price rise is down to a short squeeze as increasingly desperate shorts try to limit their astronomical losses.

• Informative
Reactions: SOULPEDL
Google Finance shows Tesla's market cap is now $ 311 Billion. More than GM, Ford, Toyota and VW combined. Seems crazy to the shorts who continue to fail to understand the concept of exponential growth. No doubt there were people shorting Ford and buying buggy whip stocks after the Model T came out as well. ICE cars are the buggy whips of the 21st Century.